fd1

Pros and cons of Ubuntu Mate vs Raspbian

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:06 pm

I just stumbled upon Ubuntu Mate and got excited that Raspberry Pi can run Ubuntu. I have never used this before. I would like to know what are the pros and cons of Ubuntu Mate versus Raspbian. Can someone advise?

DougieLawson

Re: Pros and cons of Ubuntu Mate vs Raspbian

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:57 pm

If you have to ask you shouldn't be looking at Ubuntu Mate. It's not a beginner's operating system.

If you've never used Linux before stick with NOOBS/Raspbian as that's easiest to get started and has best support on here.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

michigeo

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:55 pm

I have used the standard ubuntu distro on my rigs before and I am used to its ui better than 2 days in rasbian. The question is is ubuntu mate better than rasbian or should I dual boot instead?

IgorGanapolsky

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:46 am

DougieLawson wrote:If you have to ask you shouldn't be looking at Ubuntu Mate. It's not a beginner's operating system.

If you've never used Linux before stick with NOOBS/Raspbian as that's easiest to get started and has best support on here.
The problem with NOOBS, I found, is the amount of bloatware that comes with it. Lots of games and educational utilities that many people do not need.

MrEngman

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:52 am

IgorGanapolsky wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:If you have to ask you shouldn't be looking at Ubuntu Mate. It's not a beginner's operating system.

The problem with NOOBS, I found, is the amount of bloatware that comes with it. Lots of games and educational utilities that many people do not need.
That is not due to NOOBS. NOOBS is just an OS installer. The bloatware depends on which OS you install using NOOBS and by default it loads the full version of Raspbian Jessie which includes loads of stuff you obviously don't want.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 am

fd1 wrote:I just stumbled upon Ubuntu Mate and got excited that Raspberry Pi can run Ubuntu. I have never used this before. I would like to know what are the pros and cons of Ubuntu Mate versus Raspbian. Can someone advise?
Only the Raspberry Pi 2B & 3B can run Ubuntu based various Community Developed Flavours, lots of information on their website:

https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Gavinmc42

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:55 am

If you have to ask you shouldn't be looking at Ubuntu Mate. It's not a beginner's operating system.
I will have to disagree Dougie.
Ubuntu, Mate, Lubuntu are beginner's OS or more correctly users OS's.
They are for someone who just want to write docs, surf the web, watch youtube etc.
Perfectly fine to swap for the wife's PC, to finally get rid of Win10 in the house.
Lubuntu is smaller than Raspbian too.

Raspbian is more a tinkers OS, can make LEDs flash etc.
But latest Pixel desktop has just pushed it over into a pretty Desktop as well.
It does come with the kitchensink, great for coders.

If the user does not want to do anything with the GPIO pins or code anything then Mate etc should be ok.
Simple for a user to decide, get a bunch of SD cards, put different OS on each one and see which one gets used the most.
And keep trying new ones every few months as they get better etc.

With the Pi's you don't have to settle for just one OS, you can swap OS faster than just about any PC.
I ended up with a box of SD cards and writer that I carry everywhere.

That said, I'll take nominations for 64bit OS's.
I'm still waiting for a good 64bit Desktop OS, bring on 4.8.x :P
Fedora 25, Mint 19?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

sarg314

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:17 am

The version of ubuntu I just installed comes with wiring pi installed. See wiringpi.com. I haven't used it yet, but it's purpose is access to gpio. I did verify that it was installed by typing
gpio -v

If it prints something, you've got wiringPi

Return to “Other”