Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to run "rise of the triad". What I do is this:
Open Pling Store, download RotT.
Then drag&drop "!RotT" to SDFS::RISCOSpi.$

When double-clicking the symbol, a window (from !Run) openens stating

"Couldn't create preferences directory: No such file or directory
Press SPACE or click mouse to continue"

Whatever I do, the display shortly is completely grey and then I'm back at the desktop.

The RISC OS installation is absolutely fresh, maybe I'm missing any prerequisites?

lobey

Re: Rise of the triad doesn't run

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 pm

retrofreak83 wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm trying to run "rise of the triad". What I do is this:
Open Pling Store, download RotT.
Then drag&drop "!RotT" to SDFS::RISCOSpi.$

When double-clicking the symbol, a window (from !Run) opens stating

"Couldn't create preferences directory: No such file or directory
Press SPACE or click mouse to continue"

Whatever I do, the display shortly is completely grey and then I'm back at the desktop.

The RISC OS installation is absolutely fresh, maybe I'm missing any prerequisites?
When the RISC OS file system first saw '!RotT' in its source folder it will have stored the path to it. It is possible that this path was not reset by the '!Run' [*] file and that it is wrongly trying to read or write there. A possible cure is to *open* your copy of '!RotT' by shift+double-clicking on it, then double-clicking on the '!Boot' file, which should reset any paths to where you stored it. Now try running '!RotT' again.

I can't think of anything else ATM.

HTH

[*] '!Run', along with '!Boot' and '!RunImage', is one of a number of essential files which are present in most applications. '!Boot' tells the OS about the application, '!Run' runs when the application is double-clicked on, and '!RunImage' is normally the program file which '!Run' sets going. Applications themselves are just ordinary folders whose names start with a '!'.

BTW I've written this reply in a way I hope will help new users of RISC OS understand some of the very different ways it works compared to other OSs.

dr_d_gee

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 pm

You could try clicking MENU (the middle button, scroll wheel perhaps?) over the app and selecting "Help" from the context menu, or shift-double-click on the app and see if there is a README file (or similar) inside it.
It's also possible it doesn't like being in the root directory--try moving it to $.Apps.

pittdj

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:40 pm

!RotT requires !UnixHome to store its preferences. !UnixHome can be be found at http://www.riscos.info/packages/SupportDetails.html. !UnixHome is in Apps.Support in the download zip and is usually installed in !Boot.Resources, once installed double click on it or reboot the Pi to set up the pointers to it. !RotT then runs, it did here at least.

retrofreak83

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Yes, Unixhome was the missing!

Return to “RISCOS”