GavinW

Free Map Corrupted

Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Twice now I have encountered the "Free Map Corrupted" error while using RISC OS on my Raspberry Pi. The first time was with RC6, which I replaced with RC11, using DiskImager. Now it has happened again. I tried running DiscKnight from a USB stick, but it crashed. It is a bit of a bore having to set up everything just as I want it all over again, so I wondered if there were less drastic recovery procedures.

1. Is there any free software that will run on Windows that can cure corrupted USB sticks without harming the cunning layout that permits RISC OS to be loaded? DiskImager does not appear to have any options to verify SD formats.
2. My SD card (4GB) was bought from Element 14 with Raspbian on it. Are some cards more prone to corruption than others? Can anybody recommend anything more stable? Or am I mistaken in thinking that it is the card that is at fault? Should I overwrite the same card with DiskImager and keep my fingers crossed, or am I likely to get better stability with a virgin card?
otium negare negotium vanum

dr_d_gee

Re: Free Map Corrupted

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:13 pm

I'd have thought the best way was to keep a backup of the card image--you can use Win32 Disk Imager for this, clicking "Read" instead of "Write". (Note: Since I normally use Linux/dd for this purpose, I haven't tried this for myself.) If you do this on a regular basis at least you won't have to set everything up again.

GavinW

Re: Free Map Corrupted

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks. I now keep as much as I can on a memory stick and as little as possible on the card.
otium negare negotium vanum

Return to “RISCOS”