GavinW

RISC OS Software

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 pm

I think newcomers to RISC OS should be aware that the software provided with the distribution and obtainable using !PackMan or !Store is only a tiny fraction of what is available. To give a very rough statistic, I counted applications on the hard-disk of my Iyonix. I omitted games, and individual relocatable modules, and I lumped together whole packages (e.g. TeX). Not all those I counted have been tested on the Raspberry Pi. Only 15% of them were already builtin or obtainable using !PackMan or !Store.
This may not be a very hard statistic, and it probably reflects my own tastes, but I think it gives a reasonable picture.
otium negare negotium vanum

AMcS

Re: RISC OS Software

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 pm

GavinW wrote:I think newcomers to RISC OS should be aware that the software provided with the distribution and obtainable using !PackMan or !Store is only a tiny fraction of what is available. To give a very rough statistic, I counted applications on the hard-disk of my Iyonix. I omitted games, and individual relocatable modules, and I lumped together whole packages (e.g. TeX). Not all those I counted have been tested on the Raspberry Pi. Only 15% of them were already builtin or obtainable using !PackMan or !Store.
This may not be a very hard statistic, and it probably reflects my own tastes, but I think it gives a reasonable picture.
Agreed.

There are many free and commercial packages not included in !PackMan, RISC OS was used for 20+ years in the education sector (primarily) and there are a wide range of applications that fall "below" the Packman radar. While not all will run under 32bit OSes (like RISC OS 5.19) enough do to warrant the effort to look them up, IMHO.

dr_d_gee

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:57 pm

It would be nice if somebody could compile a list of this software and where it can be obtained from.

chocolate

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 am

GavinW wrote:I cannot vouch for everything to be found at these URLs:
http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/fjg/
Cool beans. I was looking for more themes for Theme Manager.
New RISC OS user.

AMcS

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Would probably add the MW site (http://www.mw-software.com ), which is a source for several useful free utilities (printing) and is also home to commercial packages like EasyWriter/TechWriter word processing packages and of course Artworks, the vector graphics package that spawned Corel XSara.

There's also a free Artworks viewer in the RaspberryPi disk image so you can at least see what !Artworks is capable of...

Markodius

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:25 am

What a great thread 8-)
“In the modern age, to call a man unelectable means he cannot be bought”

GavinW

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

Another thing that newcomers to RISC OS should understand is how the user gets to interact with the hardware - I/O, sound, graphics, etc. Those who have had a brush with BASIC may have met relevant commands for these things, but they should realize that these are just lumps in the curtain hiding what is behind. RISC OS itself consists of relocatable modules, and each module may define SWIs (software interrupts) and star-commands. The latter can be used in Obey files or from the commandline, the former from assembler. High level programming languages tend to wrap these up in their own notation so that the squeamish will not have to see the intimate details. Thus BASIC's generic SYS command gives the user access to SWIs and can be used to replace more-specialized commands. Their analog in C is provided in the swi library.

To understand the possibilities of SWIs you really need the Programmer's Reference Manuals. Ultimately, it is possible for users to extend RISC OS with their own modules.
otium negare negotium vanum

AMcS

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:07 pm

GavinW wrote:To understand the possibilities of SWIs you really need the Programmer's Reference Manuals. Ultimately, it is possible for users to extend RISC OS with their own modules.
Agreed, in fact RISC OS' predecessor (Arthur) didn't multitask - this feature was added as part of the WindowManager module that came in with RISC OS. New hardware gets supported by new Relocatable Modules being added (or by altering the existing modules - or intercepting the software vectors they use to enhance/modify their behaviours).

If you have RISC OS running - just press the <F12> key to get the command prompt up - and type MODULES and press return - what you're looking at is RISC OS and the myriad modules (both internal and soft loaded 3rd party stuff) that makes the system as adaptable as it is.

KeithSloan

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:21 pm

At the risk of promoting ones own software which has been recompiled for 32bit and runs on the Raspberry Pi version of RISC OS.
http://www.sloan-home.co.uk/RISCOS/Care ... eWare.html

timrowledge

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:43 am

I mustn't let you forget Squeak & Scratch for RISC OS. Squeak is current but Scratch needs some more work to be up to date; key events are not doing al that Scratch needs. MIDI needs some work too.

http://www.squeakvm.org is the official site.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

Return to “RISCOS”