dpl

Using RISC OS with a 2 button mouse

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi all,

Just got myself a Pi and booted up RISC OS on it. With the exception of having to put "sdtv_mode=2" to get it working using Composite out it was all far easier than I thought.

One question though (for now at least): I only have a 2 button mouse. Without buying a 3 button mouse is there any way I can fool the Pi into it thinking I'm pressing the Menu button?

I've seen links for software to fudge it but can't get them to work. I've downloaded them via my Windows PC, extracted them and placed them on my SD card. After booting up the Pi and finding them on the SD card I can't get them to work - the Pi says it does not recognise the file type. Have you any ideas?

The 2 applications were:
- 3rdButton from http://www.thomas-milius.privat.t-online.de/English/
- WinMenu from http://www.7thsoftware.co.uk/software.htm

Thanks in advance for the help,

dpl

Raeddie

Re: Using RISC OS with a 2 button mouse

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:29 am

dpl wrote:I've seen links for software to fudge it but can't get them to work. I've downloaded them via my Windows PC, extracted them and placed them on my SD card. After booting up the Pi and finding them on the SD card I can't get them to work - the Pi says it does not recognise the file type. Have you any ideas?
Major fault. Never extract RISC OS Software on other systems. Information like the type of a file lost when you extract the file with e.g. Windows, as the extracting software knows nothing about how RISC OS stores this information.
Copy the archive to the Pi and use !SparkFS there to extract the software and everything should work. (IIRC a read-only version of !SparkFS is delivered with the RISC OS image for RasPi.)

colin B

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Is your mouse solely two buttons or does it have a thumb wheel as well? If it has a thumbwheel this is your middle button on a Pi, just press it.
On a clear disk one can seek forever

dpl

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am

Raeddie: Thanks for the advice. I'm away from my Pi until Sun but will try it when I get back.

colin B: I've got my Pi plugged into my TV and I'm using a wireless Logitech K400 keyboard with built in trackpad with only 2 mouse buttons. I've got a mouse with a scroll wheel somewhere but if I can get by using my current setup I'll be more than happy.

dpl

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Solved - my Windows keyboard button is now my 3rd mouse button. Raeddie, there is a copy of SparkFS built in so getting WinMenu to extract and run was so easy.

I'm impressed how simple RISCOS is - I'm more or less a complete novice to it (I had an A310 in the 90s but nothing since) and so the fact that within seconds (well ok, a couple of minutes) I'd worked out how to get WinMenu to boot on start-up means I'm likely to play around with it that little bit more.

Thanks all for your help.

guidol

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 pm

dpl wrote:Solved - my Windows keyboard button is now my 3rd mouse button. Raeddie, there is a copy of SparkFS built in so getting WinMenu to extract and run was so easy.
I wrote a german Blog-Entry about installing WinMenu to the Raspberry and his RiscOS :D
http://lehwalder.wordpress.com/2013/06/ ... t-winmenu/

Return to “RISCOS”