Witzo

The Acorn Copy key: to which key is it mapped?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Reading the BBC Basic VI manual, I come across an explanation to edit a line of basic code. It requires the Copy key. Where is it mapped on everyday PC/Mac keyboards?
I'd like to change a line without needing to type it all over.

Of course I can do this in StrongED, but then I can't use the full 'MODE MODE' screen that I use for graphics and quickly test the result of my changes.

AMcS

Re: The Acorn Copy key: to which key is it mapped?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Witzo wrote:Reading the BBC Basic VI manual, I come across an explanation to edit a line of basic code. It requires the Copy key. Where is it mapped on everyday PC/Mac keyboards?
I'd like to change a line without needing to type it all over.

Of course I can do this in StrongED, but then I can't use the full 'MODE MODE' screen that I use for graphics and quickly test the result of my changes.
If the line is visible on screen (but above you're current empty line) just press the "up arrow" key (the cursor should now "separate" there's a flashing one and a "block" one. Move the upper cursor (with the "up arrow" key until you reach the line you wish to copy from - press the <END> key each time you want to copy a character (the character copied will appear on the lower line). (<END> on PC keyboards functions like "COPY" did - on a real BBC/RISC OS machine you'd actually have a key called "COPY").

When complete press the <ENTER> key.

Note if you're copying program lines you'll need to copy the line number as well as any text - you can "type" new characters on the current line and mix them with ones you've copied (pressing <END> each time you want to copy a character from the old line).

If you want to exit without changing anything hit <ESCAPE>

Hope that helps.

Witzo

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 pm

That's what I was looking for, thanks!
The 'end' key on the Mac is the one that has an arrow pointing to the lower right.

My Basic editing has become noticeably faster. :)

AMcS

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Witzo wrote:That's what I was looking for, thanks!
The 'end' key on the Mac is the one that has an arrow pointing to the lower right.

My Basic editing has become noticeably faster. :)
No problem - pleased to help !

Return to “RISCOS”