dntpls

Riscos Startup peculiar

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi,

yesterday i thought i could get the riscos to overclock and edited the config.txt
Now when i turn it on it show me the startupscreen of the pi ( you know the Color-Spectrum)
And after that it does nothing. Also my raspbian boots up and then it shows
kdb>
Need help, please.
thx,

Dntpls
Attachments
Debug-screen.jpg
Debug-screen.jpg (19.37 KiB) Viewed 4442 times

DavidS

Re: Riscos Startup peculiar

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Could you post your new CONFIG.TXT?
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

dntpls

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Config.txt:
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=500
disable_overscan=0
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=256
#force_hdmi_plugin=1

Also it blinks 7 times which means kernel.img not found

Could someon provide a download of the kernel.img because i don't want to reinstall it ( my programs would be gone!!)

thx,
Dntpls

DavidS

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:20 pm

To go 1000MHz you will also need:
over_voltage=6

Also if you wish it to work wih RISC OS you need:
force_turbo=1

And on RISC OS the load image is RISCOS.IMG, and can be downloaded from the ROOL site.

The config.txt you listed does not look like a RISC OS config.txt it is missing:
fake_vsync_isr=1
gpu_mem=64
init_emmc_clock=100000000
kernel=RISCOS.IMG
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 pm

As to a config.txt that should work for you for RISC OS, you could try:

Code: Select all

fake_vsync_isr=1
gpu_mem=64
kernel=RISCOS.IMG

force_turbo=1
over_voltage=5
arm_freq=1000
sdram_freq=500
disable_overscan=0
And increasing the GPU memory alocation does no good with RISC OS.

Markodius

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm

It's probably easier to reload the card. Sometimes I've corrupted the system so much after overclocking such that even if config.txt is repaired the system still will not boot or run correctly. The thing with that is that corruption may go undetected for some time, so I'm never really happy until the load is reblown. Fortunately RiscOS seems happy to run software from any location so directories containing software can be hived off to an external media and then restored. I store software on another drive just for that event. I hope it helps.
“In the modern age, to call a man unelectable means he cannot be bought”

dntpls

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 pm

So first of all this worked :D :
fake_vsync_isr=1
gpu_mem=64
kernel=RISCOS.IMG
Thanks

I have two Pis and Riscos only boots on one of them.
But both can still launch rasbian
I am confused.
Please help.

Thx,

Dntpls

tvjon

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:47 pm

"I have two Pis and Riscos only boots on one of them."

What exactly happens with the non-booter?

If you don't need any overscan changes for your monitor, & you're just testing, no "config.txt" is necessary, so long as you rename the 2.4 meg's "riscos" file to:

kernel.img

Tide

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Could have something to do with this:
Steve Revill wrote:The latest firmware is not compatible with our boot sequence – specifically the VCHIQ module. There is work underway to try to address this but the firmware people don’t make things easy for anyone who isn’t Linux…

Markodius

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 am

Hi dntpls,

Sorry to be pedantic.. but.. Have you tried the RiscOS card from the pi that boots in the one that doesn't? (I sometimes forget the sync command after issuing a dd and get a spoiled load :oops:)

dntpls

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:32 am

Markodius wrote:Hi dntpls,

Sorry to be pedantic.. but.. Have you tried the RiscOS card from the pi that boots in the one that doesn't? (I sometimes forget the sync command after issuing a dd and get a spoiled load :oops:)
So I put it in my pi that works (number 1) and it boots up.
Then i put it in number 2 and it shows no sign of wanting to boot (no led on except red for power).
Then i put it in number 1 and it boots successfully.
I out Raspbmc + Raspbian SDCards in number 2 and they boot. - No errors.

Dntpls

AMcS

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:44 pm

dntpls wrote:
Markodius wrote:Hi dntpls,

So I put it in my pi that works (number 1) and it boots up.
Then i put it in number 2 and it shows no sign of wanting to boot (no led on except red for power).
Then i put it in number 1 and it boots successfully.
I out Raspbmc + Raspbian SDCards in number 2 and they boot. - No errors.

Dntpls
If RO card in one works but not in the other - and both Pi's have the same specification (say both 512 MB model B's or both 256MB ones) then it has to be something down to the individual Pi.

My bet would be slight differences in the SD card holder and that (perhaps) the given SD card fits better in one than the other. Improper contact can cause failure to boot. (My Brother's Pi failed to boot with an RO image I prepared for him - I powered it down, removed the card and carefully inserted it back into his machine and it then booted fine on power-up).

Also there's a small metal strip (copper leaf/spring) at the top/inner edge of the card holder that has to be closed when the card is fully inserted - perhaps it's not closing correctly with that particular card on the PI that fails (take a closer look when inserting the card just to check this is closing correctly).

Markodius

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm

How curious :? After careful scrutiny with regard to AMcS's comments above I would try blowing another card with RiscOS and trying that in the recalcitrant pi as I've read that some combinations of OS/CARD/pi simply won't work. It might be worth checking the firmware level on the card (Sandisk have firmware updates for some of their cards).

Markodius

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 pm

The only other thing I can think of is an incompatible peripheral is causing !bootstrap to fail - try using the keyboard and mouse from the pi that riscos boots from and disconnecting all else.

Markodius

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Hang on.. you mentioned that you were overclocking the pi that boots RiscOS.. it may be that the machine refusing to boot may not be able to match the 'overclockability' (new word?) of the machine that boots correctly. Try it with a stock configuration file - that might do the job.

Return to “RISCOS”