hilbertdad

KVM for sharing keyboard & mouse

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:00 pm

My idea is to use a KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse switch ) to save space on my desk.
I'm running a windows 7 Pc and a raspberry PI with Riscos.

Actually I'm manually switching the monitor input ( HDMI-->raspberry pi and DVI--> PC) and I connect and disconnect the USB cable of my wireless logitech keyboard and mouse kit (S510).
I have also tested with success VNC client on riscos (avalance) e riscos server on PC (UltraVNC).
I'm not 100% satisfied with both solutions.
I have found on Amazon quite expensive HDMI or DVI KVM and cheap VGA KVM.
The HDMI KVM (if working) is a definitive solution , the VGA KVM could be used to switch only the keyboard and the mouse and for the video you should use the input selction button of the monitor.

Any suggestion on type / brand / model of the KVM ? is someone using similar configuration ?

Thank in advance

tvjon

Re: KVM for sharing keyboard & mouse

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:46 pm

I do something similar.

I mostly use mac OS X machines, but occasionally others, & of course it's a pain using multiple input devices, & monitors.

It depends somewhat on one's monitor. The monitor I mostly use has hdmi & vga, but no DVI. I connect RPi to the hdmi input, & the 4 port KVM's vga output goes to monitor's vga input. I use the same 1920 * 1080 resolution for all my machines. If an input signal to the monitor disappears, the monitor wanders around its inputs looking for a valid signal.

I've experimented with several input combinations, & so far the best (but dearest) uses:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotions/6072

The bluetooth setups I tried have been the least satisfactory, as of course for a start bt support has to exist on the target machine, & AFAIAA no bt on RiscOS :( The other major problem (for my setups anyway) is that bt pairs devices with the machine, whereas the Logitech unifying receiver pairs devices with its usb receiver, which means if I'm using RPi, & occasionally just want to see eg., how far a compilation is progressing on my mac, I don't need any input at all, so I can whip out the Logitech receiver from the kvm, & pop it into the Pi then later swap back, with no adverse effects on either system :) This is handy if I'm constantly testing RPI & frequently switching it off & on. Normally though the RPi is just connected to 1 of the kvm's usb outputs.

Apart from 1 distribution (TinyCore Linux) RiscOS is the only OS I've found on RPi that freely allows me to unplug & re-plug input devices & still allows them to work. Trying that on any of the other Linux's fails.

The Logitech receiver takes only 100 mA so never causes a reboot on RPi.

Interestingly the Logitech receiver can handle 6 input devices which could be very useful for RPi, saving valuable usb inputs. It is however a proprietary interface, although I believe there is a basic Linux driver somewhere which cover HID usb devices, so maybe usable on RiscOS.

HTH.

Tirpitz

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:02 am

hilbertdad wrote:My idea is to use a KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse switch ) to save space on my desk.
I'm running a windows 7 Pc and a raspberry PI with Riscos.

Actually I'm manually switching the monitor input ( HDMI-->raspberry pi and DVI--> PC) and I connect and disconnect the USB cable of my wireless logitech keyboard and mouse kit (S510).
I have also tested with success VNC client on riscos (avalance) e riscos server on PC (UltraVNC).
I'm not 100% satisfied with both solutions.
I have found on Amazon quite expensive HDMI or DVI KVM and cheap VGA KVM.
The HDMI KVM (if working) is a definitive solution , the VGA KVM could be used to switch only the keyboard and the mouse and for the video you should use the input selction button of the monitor.

Any suggestion on type / brand / model of the KVM ? is someone using similar configuration ?

Thank in advance
I understood, inputs on monitor are switched by button and receiver of wireless kit of keyboard and mouse is reconnected manually. How did you solved switching the audio?
If you need only switch USB between PC and RasPi, rather cheaper powered USB switch could be enough.

Little offtopic:
Personally me. I am owner of a KVM switch with DVI. Why DVI in my case? LCD monitor has only VGA and DVI input. PC has DVI. RasPi is connected by HDMI with adapter to DVI.
VNC I did not wanted because I think it is like a man in the middle.

Spid

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am

I found this post interesting, a software solution (synergy):

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... gy#p309821
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

milleronic

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 am

synergy works great on the pi! sudo apt-get install synergy

if running as client: synergyc <ip.address.of.synergy server>

I have it running as client... works great!

sawdust

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

milleronic wrote:synergy works great on the pi! sudo apt-get install synergy

if running as client: synergyc <ip.address.of.synergy server>

I have it running as client... works great!
With RISC OS?

Return to “RISCOS”