hilbertdad

RISCOS - HDMI - NO SOUND

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm

After about 35 years I have turned on my new RISC-OS computer: Raspberry Pi with RISCOS
My old one was an archimede A310 ; I went to Ricordi's shop in Milano to get one :!:
(ARM2, 1MB Ram , 1 floppy ......)
It was really excitig :o to see the Risc OS desktop on my TV. :P
look there is a browser ! :idea:
--step one : double click on it . Not Working :evil:
--step two : go in set-up and activate TCP-IP . Still Not Working :twisted:
--step three : connect the ethernet patch :oops: OK now it works... 8-)

Let us move to the issue: No Sound. :cry:
My video connection is a straight HDMI-HDMI patch. No sound at all.
I have also tried connecting the jack output to a speakers still no sound.
To test the sound I go to the configure sound screen and I press the 'try' button.

Any Idea ? some bad configurations ? :?:

tvjon

Re: RISCOS - HDMI - NO SOUND

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 am

I am trying to decipher your post here......

"-step three : connect the ethernet patch"

At first I thought you meant a "software patch", but reading further,

"My video connection is a straight HDMI-HDMI patch"

perhaps you mean a cable, as in "patch lead"?

"To test the sound I go to the configure sound screen and I press the 'try' button.",

does the green bar in the try sound message box move if you drag it left & right via your mouse? If it does, maybe the volume on your TV is just set too low?

hilbertdad

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi
-Yes I confirm I use an HDMI cable to connect HDMI output to HDMI input.
(I have also tried video composite + analogue audio cable (jack))
-Yes the green bar is moving.
One possibility is that I'm using an old HDMI cable and an old TV
May be there are some incompatbilities in the HDMI 1.1....1.4
Do you confirm that on your Raspberry PI with RISCOS(5.19) the audio is working ? no need of any special configuration ? No modification of the configuration file ?

In the next days I will do more testing, with different cable and also on Linux enviroment.

Burngate

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm

A simple test would be F12 (to get into ShellCLI) then ctrl+G (ascii Bell) You should get a beep

polas

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 pm

I had some issues getting sound working too but can confirm that it does work fine under ROS on my RPi now. The problem for me was that sound is either over HDMI or the 3mm jack but not both.

What might be happening is that your board is picking up the incorrect configuration by default. It might help to tell it explicitly what to do - you can tinker with the settings in config.txt, and by specifying hdmi_drive=2 will force "full" HDMI mode and sound to be sent over the HDMI cable which I guess is what you are after. Alternatively, setting hdmi_drive=1 is DVI mode and sound will be sent to the 3mm jack. There is loads of configuration information at http://elinux.org/RPiconfig which you might find useful.

Good luck!

hilbertdad

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:07 pm

You are right ! :ugeek: I have added hdmi_drive=2 in the config.txt and now the sound works fine
Thank you also for the suggestion of the quite intersting link : http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

polas

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 am

hilbertdad wrote:Now the sound works fine
Fantastic, glad you got it all working

SiriusHardware

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm

hilbertdad wrote:You are right ! :ugeek: I have added hdmi_drive=2 in the config.txt and now the sound works fine
Thank you also for the suggestion of the quite intersting link : http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
Thanks, this also worked for me - I didn't have any sound at all in RISCOS over HDMI until I too added the line hdmi_drv=2 in my config.txt.

GavinW

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Well I have an hdmi connection to my monitor and the line "hdmi_drv=2" in config.txt, but no sound. I also tried "hdmi_drive=2" without success. Could the reason that I have no sound be because I do not have any sound-producing hardware? My Iyonix has a little speaker somewhere, and I cannot see anything like that on the Raspberry Pi. Furthermore, my monitor, an LG Flatron IPS235, has a little hole at the back which is described as for a headphone-jack. So maybe I need a headphone before trying CTRL-G in a taskwindow? Have I overlooked something?
otium negare negotium vanum

Burngate

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:54 pm

GavinW wrote:Well I have an hdmi connection to my monitor and the line "hdmi_drv=2" in config.txt, but no sound. I also tried "hdmi_drive=2" without success. Could the reason that I have no sound be because I do not have any sound-producing hardware? My Iyonix has a little speaker somewhere, and I cannot see anything like that on the Raspberry Pi. Furthermore, my monitor, an LG Flatron IPS235, has a little hole at the back which is described as for a headphone-jack. So maybe I need a headphone before trying CTRL-G in a taskwindow? Have I overlooked something?
By the look of it, it doesn't have speakers, which makes it a bit difficult for it to output any sound. Try the headphone option, and tell us what happens

GavinW

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 am

Have headphone. Get Beep. It works.

Return to “RISCOS”