sej7278

Why do we need Fat32FS etc?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 pm

I've just got my Model-B and tried the 5.19rc6 image which seems to work well (faster than Raspian and LXDE by a mile!) but I left the RISCOS scene around the time the Iyonix came out, with some limited playing with Select4 in emulators, so am a bit out of touch.

Anyway I was just a bit confused by the need for Fat32FS when RISCOS has been able to read/write FAT32 since 3.1, is it to do with USB perhaps - something which didn't even exist on my RiscPC.

I was pretty surprised my Assembler programs still ran - I guess 26-Bit ARMv4 isn't that different to 32-Bit ARMv6 after all eh ROL? :twisted: What are the requirements for "regular" programs, do they have to be 32-Bit versions or just neutral or what?

Lovely to see my BASIC WIMP programs running too, after setting the filetypes - they were tarred up on Linux by mounting the disks using rpcemu a few years back!

On a related note - what happened with the RISCOS split - did Select6 ever go anywhere, the A9 (A6?) got canned IIRC, and I thought the Iynoix got canned too, so is RO5 now opensource and not a Castle product anymore? Does ROL exist anymore?

AMcS

Re: Why do we need Fat32FS etc?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 am

Fat32fs allows for a disk image greater than 2GB (DOSFS under RISC OS does not).
What are the requirements for "regular" programs, do they have to be 32-Bit versions or just neutral or what?
A neutral version will work on either - a 26 bit one will ONLY work on a 26 bit system (unless you use something like Aemulor...).

The exact requirements are discussed in the following document:
http://www.iyonix.com/32bit/download/32bit_dev.pdf

Basically 32bit code doesn't save Program Status (flags) nor does it expect it to be saved.
what happened with the RISCOS split
Still split (I am afraid), the Castle version (RO 5.xx) is now updated by RISC OS Open (ROOL). Have lost touch with the ROL variant...
I thought the Iynoix got canned too
Went out of production as the board included some components that contained Lead and under EU rules could not continue to be sold and, as far as I know the cost of updating the board to comply with WEEE rules were too high to allow such a redesign.
so is RO5 now open source and not a Castle product anymore
Shared source rather than open source, yes you can get the source if you want (from ROOL), you can use it and modify it for personal use - but if you want to use it for a commercial purpose you need to license it from Castle (https://www.riscosopen.org/content/documents/ssfaq ).

Not sure what RISC OS Limited is at - but their documentation (fair dues to them) is still available online from them

DavidS

Re: Why do we need Fat32FS etc?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 am

For the ROL version there has not been anything new in a few years, the last update seems to have been RISC OS 6.20 (Select 6i1). Though now all the programs are 32bit safe, though they complain a lot more about older programs than ROOL versions.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “RISCOS”