timscott84

Complete beginner - buying a Raspberry Pi and running riscOS

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:54 pm

Hello,

I'd like to revisit my youth and play some old Acorn Archimedes games. Is it any more complicated than buying a Raspberry Pi and downloading RiscOS onto an SD card? I can then attempt to plug in a floppy drive or download games online.

If it's not this simple then I won't be offended if someone tells me that straight up! If it is, can anyone point me in the right direction for getting the right Pi and the operating system on an SD card?

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Complete beginner - buying a Raspberry Pi and running riscOS

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:30 am

timscott84 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:54 pm
Hello,

I'd like to revisit my youth and play some old Acorn Archimedes games. Is it any more complicated than buying a Raspberry Pi and downloading RiscOS onto an SD card? I can then attempt to plug in a floppy drive or download games online.

If it's not this simple then I won't be offended if someone tells me that straight up! If it is, can anyone point me in the right direction for getting the right Pi and the operating system on an SD card?

Thanks!

viewforum.php?f=55

RiscOS supports all models of Raspberry Pi except the 3A+ & 4B, the developers fully support:

https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

sparkyhall

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:59 am

I'd forget about plugging a floppy drive in, that's not going to be at all easy.

You also need a wired network connection as wifi is not plug and play on Riscos unlike on more modern systems.

thagrol

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:26 pm

sparkyhall wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:59 am
I'd forget about plugging a floppy drive in, that's not going to be at all easy.
Agreed. Last time I tried USB floppy drives couldn't read ADFS discs.

If current RISC OS supports floppy images your best bet would be using an old PC with a real floppy drive to create images of your discs.
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

scruss

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:45 pm

A very few USB floppy drives support 800 K DSDD format, but it's fairly safe to say that they won't work.

If you can find a Raspberry Pi B+ (single core), it won't get as melty hot as the multicore ones.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Return to “RISCOS”