Unhban

For noobs (like me) -how to get an app to autorun on boot up

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 pm

I've been pondering this for some time, wanting to autorun the app WINSNAP which makes windows snap to screen edges or the iconbar, for neat alignment.

So I downloaded it using Packman and found it to have been placed in SD CARD > APPS > DESKTOP.

Now, how to get it to autorun on boot up! Simples!

1. Keeping the DESKTOP folder open with the WINSNAP icon and viewable I then went back to the first SD CARD window.
2. I then double-clicked !BOOT and found that a Configuration window opened with many icon choices.
3. I then single-clicked on BOOT in the Configuration window. Then single-clicked on RUN in the Boot Sequence window.
4. Remembering that RISC OS does most things by dragging and dropping I dragged (in this case) the WINSNAP icon from the DESKTOP window and dropped it into the RUN AT STARTUP window.
5. A text line then appeared showing the path to my app (as I say in this case WINSNAP).
6. I then clicked on SET, then rebooted and voila! My app autobooted!

Hope this helps, Unh.

Unhban

Re: For noobs (like me) -how to get an app to autorun on boo

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:33 am

P.S. I've also done it with the Alarm Clock app so I get a clock on the icon bar..... :P

Unh.

bhtooefr

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:21 am

Personally, I prefer using Organizer for my clock. (I don't actually use it as an organizer, but it lets me do a bit more sane layout for the time and date, and it looks better. Downside is, must NEVER touch time settings in it (unless you're in UK time), because (at least v1.x, which shipped on the RISC OS Pi image (or maybe it was from !Store?) - 2.x is on NutPi) it doesn't respect your time zone settings at all.

nr.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 am

Another use for the !Alarm app is using it to execute regularly scheduled tasks - I found this out while looking for a crontab substitute the other day. There is a version of cron written for RISC OS that I found, but it turned out to be easier to just create an alarm, and automatically execute it at startup time.
--
nr.

Unhban

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 am

Interesting, nr. Worth remembering that....

Thanks too, to bhtooefr. Just downloaded Organiser using !Store and yes, the clock is more subtle and configurable. Ta!

Return to “RISCOS”