primr

java

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Tried to log into www.aol.com but it says I need java runtime, couldnt find a way to load a version for RISC OS.

Any suggestions

Rich Prim

Tide

Re: java

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 pm

primr wrote:couldnt find a way to load a version for RISC OS
There isn't any :mrgreen:
primr wrote: Any suggestions
Use the mobile site if you have to.
Sorry if that's not what you expected.

Bikeman

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Specifically, you could try:

http://ipad.aol.com

(The ipad also has no JAVA). However I really wonder whether it's JAVA or rather JAVASCRIPT that your problem is all about. I haven't tried RISC OS yet, but I can browse www.aol.com (and the webmail part of it) just fine on the Raspberry Pi under Raspian and the Midori browser, which also lacks JAVA. I kind of doubt that AOL requires a JAVA runtime installed because so many PCs these days come without JAVA installed (e.g. Mac OSX removed JAVA runtime with a recent update making it an optional part you have to re-install again, IIRC). If that browser under RISC OS doesn't support JAVASCRIPT, however, you will see problems with a lot of webpages. A browser without javascript support is actually quite useless IMHO on most modern webpages.

See this here http://vincentsanders.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... kshop.html
about plans for the future wrt JAVASCRIPT support for a RISC OS browser.

Cheers
HB

primr

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have logged into aol on the RaspberryPi but when I tried the this operating system it said I lacked JAVA.

Kind of like the desktop this system has.

I will see if they have a different web browser I can install.

Thanks Rich Prim

bhtooefr

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 pm

RISC OS Pi ships with NetSurf, which currently has no JavaScript support.

If you do need JavaScript, Firefox 2.0 is available from !PackMan, but beware that performance is dreadful (although it's at least usable on the Pi), and it's a quite old version of Firefox.

DavidS

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 pm

If you only need Java Script then use the development build of NetSurf (json).

Though I suspect that you need a JVM for this the only one that I am aware of is commercial.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

polas

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 am

There is an oldish article on Drobe about the availability of Java for ROS (http://www.drobe.co.uk/article.php?id=2070&hlt=java). Whilst there is certainly no ideal solution, I have managed to get the Taurus VM running on my RPC, but it was very slow and is only version 1.0.... it might be faster on the RPi though and whilst it won't plug into your browser or anything it might be enough if you just want to have a play with Java under RISC OS.

Nick

Return to “RISCOS”