JemChurch

Mame - Incomplete .zip installation via !PackMan

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi all,
Still on the learning curve with this. Trying out familiar stuff to familiarise myself. Installed Mame via !PackMan and spent the next hour trying to get it working. Fresh eyes today tells me there's something very wrong with the install. Rummaging RISCOS and MAME turns up http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthrea ... adid=11873 with a link to http://www.cgransden.co.uk/mame.zip which looks like a complete install.
I can only deduce that the one referenced in the RISCOS repository is incomplete.
Going to try this .zip file and report back.
Jem.

JemChurch

Re: Mame - Incomplete .zip installation via !PackMan

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Not a RISCOS Pi problem, it's a RISCOS problem, so I guess I should contact them....

grannyg

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm

JemChurch wrote:Not a RISCOS Pi problem, it's a RISCOS problem, so I guess I should contact them....
It runs fine on the raspberry pi all be it very slowly. Even early 80s games struggle a bit.

If you still want to try it. Inside the mame folder is an obey file 'runmame'. This runs the rom 'mrdo' by default. The rom zip file 'mrdo/zip' needs to go in the 'roms' folder. To run the rom double click on 'runmame'. Check the 'stdout' and 'stderr' files for errors if you get problems.

I'm also working on ports of 'imame', 'advancemame' and 'mame078'. These are based on older versions of mame that tend to run much faster.

I've also got ports of 'gngeo' (neo geo) and 'final burn alpha' (neo geo and various) that run at a good speed on the raspberry pi. These use some of the same roms as mame. I just need to get around to releasing them.

JemChurch

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Grannyg,
The mrdo rom is the start of the problem on the RISCOS repository version. It's not there, so can't be run. The roms directory is empty, the same as the cfg directory being empty. I know it works using the Raspian image, it's the RISCOS repository version that's broken. Check and verify it for me please ( it's been a long day...)
Regards,
Jem

JemChurch

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:41 pm

The mrdo rom is there in the .zip file (maybe in error) but not in the RISCOS repository. Again, early days..
Jem.

grannyg

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 pm

JemChurch wrote:Hi Grannyg,
The mrdo rom is the start of the problem on the RISCOS repository version. It's not there, so can't be run. The roms directory is empty, the same as the cfg directory being empty. I know it works using the Raspian image, it's the RISCOS repository version that's broken. Check and verify it for me please ( it's been a long day...)
Regards,
Jem
As long as you copy the games in the roms folder and change 'runmame' appropriately it will run fine. How you get hold of those roms is up to you. Google is your friend.

Ibanezjem

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:47 pm

I too have had the same issue with Mame via !Packman. There are no sign of MrDo ROMs, either zipped or otherwise that come with the package. This may be due to a licensing issue, or just an omission. Will try the link provided earlier to test Mame with MrDo ROMs.

Return to “RISCOS”