tony1tf

Boot file lost after setting up Internet

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi
I have just loaded RiscOS 2012-11-01 onto a 2GB card and successfully booted it up, and set the HDMI monitor up. I tried to configure the Internet connection to use my Mac's Ethernet connection as I have done previously with the Linux distros and after saving the settings it asked me to reboot. However, now it tells me the boot file is missing. There is only a default desktop, and a very low resolution default monitor. I can reset the monitor OK, but everything else is missing except the Apps Utilites. As I am a past expert user of RiscOS, I am able to use !Edit to look at the files.
The filing system shows SDFS::PiBoot$ with folders /fseventsd and /Trashes and a few small files - in particular, the system has just written a file /_/Trashes which is a 4k DOS file mainly full of nulls, except in the first few characters where I can see "Mac OS X" and a few binary numbers.
I will go back and reflash the SD card, but I dont want to go round endless loops with SD file corruption, so I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and has a solution.

Tony

tony1tf

Re: Boot file lost after setting up Internet

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 pm

More on this - I reflashed the SD card, and enabled the Internet connection again (make sure Ethernet over USB is ticked in Interfaces - presumably RiscOS thinks the ethernet port is USB). I did not let the system reboot, but ticked "later", then went into shutdown (middle mouse click on the raspberry symbol, or CTRL SHIFT F12). Clicking on restart it all booted OK with Ethernet enabled, and Net Surf connecting to the outside world.
So the only difference from it not working before is that I allowed time for the configuration changes to be written before rebooting.
Now happily playing.
Tony

Burngate

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 pm

We need input from "Someone Who Knows" but I don't think old-fashioned RISC OS did anything about syncing discs
All it did was check that all files are clean - oh and write a clean-shut-down bit to the CMOS.

tony1tf

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi Burngate
You are of course correct - I was only clutching at straws as to why it worked the second time.
I've spent a happy while just loading some old software written in C for the RiscPC, and finding it runs fine, sometimes - however, it sometimes freezes and needs a power cycle. I also ran the provided InterGif utility to convert a Paint file to a Gif - this worked OK once, then hung with the dreaded "FileCore in use" message which we loved to hate on the R-PC. However, power cycling got it working again.
Need to investigate the CPU configuration to see what is stable - am running with the slower ARMv5 compatibility mode, but this gives crashes as well.
Tony

theom

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 pm

The 'low res' version is RISC OS with only the 'ROM' active - no disc has been found. I think what's happened here is it's lost the main RISC OS partition and it's only showing you the contents of the FAT partition, which it will do as a last resort.

I thought SDFS has no write caching, with the results that everything should have gone to card as soon as the light turns off. But Ben will know for sure.

tony1tf

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 pm

More problems
Was transferring a large file (130MByte) from a memory stick to the SD card, and the transfer froze.
Had to cycle power. Now the SD card is trashed again with no Boot file. All this afternoon's work now lost ;-(
I had stability problems early on with the Pi and Linux until I got the right USB hub and power supply, but this RiscOS image seems to have very similar problems with SD card trashing.
Is there a more stable version coming out?

Tony

tony1tf

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Theom

Thanks for your reply to my earlier post. Do you have any knowledge of how to restore the lost partition without reflashing the card competely?

Tony

Unhban

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:03 am

It sounds to me like the PSU you're using to power the Pi is not giving enough current during intensive activity and so losing volts below the minimum and trashing the SD card. Worth trying a PSU that gives at least 1A....

Hope this help, Unh.

tony1tf

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:21 am

Hi Unhban

Thanks for the suggestion, but not relevant in this case - I went through all that with Linux and carefully tuned a 2A supply fed through the adjustable regulator in an old USB hub with an additional USB connector I added to power the Pi. I set the regulator voltage to give 5.0 volts at the input connector of the Pi even with voltage drop down the mini-usb power lead. That got rid of any SD trashing and USB problems I had, long before RiscOS came out.

Tony

grannyg

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:24 pm

tony1tf wrote:Hi Unhban

Thanks for the suggestion, but not relevant in this case - I went through all that with Linux and carefully tuned a 2A supply fed through the adjustable regulator in an old USB hub with an additional USB connector I added to power the Pi.

Tony
There's one more thing you could try. In the 'config.txt' file there is an entry 'init_emmc_clock=100000000'. Comment it out and reboot. With it commented out it slows down access to the SD card. You never know it may help.

strawberrytau

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:14 am

I have also experienced this. Any ungrateful shutdown (e.g. pulling out the power cord) corrupts the disk so that I cannot reboot. I have to re image to fix.

tony1tf

Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:04 pm

I seemed to have stabilised the system somewhat. I bought an 8GB class 10 microSD card and SD adaptor. Now I see somewhere here that class 10 cards are not necessarily stable, so that might have been a mistake. Anyway, I havnt managed to trash it yet. It would be nice to gain access to all 8GB, as partitioning it before loading the image doesn't work, since the disk image overwrites the partitioning info. I have reformatted an old 256MB USB stick as an Acorn hard drive which is quite useful for backing up applications without losing the Acorn filetypes - I noted that the SparkFS bundled app is only read-only, so cant be used to make proper zipped archives.
I have not tried slowing down SD card access yet - surely it should be OK with a class 10?
I am still get some freezes, but less than with my previous SD card, although I am being a bit careful when my 4GB USB stick is plugged in, since transferring to that seems to often lockup the machine.
I have some custom software used in our university lab which appears not to be fully compatible with the Pi - sometimes freezes, and sometimes runs, and I am having difficulty understanding why.
I just tried to run a copy of Elite downloaded from http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/arc/index.htm
but it reports "CLockUtils is not 32-bit compatible. I tried commenting out the load of that in the MainRun file, but the I get an abort on instruction fetch at &FFFFE94E which is presumably the 26/32 bit problem - I am loathe to run it in the emulator, since that seems to negate the point of having RiscOS on the Pi, but I suppose I will have to try it.
Tony

tony1tf

Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 pm

I did download jandboer's Archi emulator and copied !elite to the simulated hard drive using the drag and drop application, and it runs, but I never was a game player, so got fed up of that in a minute or two!
Next project....
Tony

Return to “RISCOS”