JollyRoger

Has anyone bought Nut Pi?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Has anyone bought the Nut Pi collection of software for RiscOs on the Pi? (See http://www.riscosopen.org/content/sales/nutpi). It costs £35, which I guess is a bargain for Riscos fans. Any thoughts?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Has anyone bought Nut Pi?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

i haven't bought it yet but i am mulling it as it looks like a bargain for the S/W incl.

It's going to take me a bit of wangling things as using prepaid visa/mc/amex cards bought since june are mostly not allowing intl. purchases :( (and mostly not working with paypal either) so i'd love to see a review or two before i put a lot of effort into getting it

nr.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I probably will do, once I get my pocket money for the month :) Two questions spring to mind though:

1) Can you copy the software to the base filesystem? If not, it's going to be a bit of a pain to have to leave a card reader permanently attached to the pi to enable you to access the software from the SD card.
2) Does the price include updates?

I guess I should ask the question directly to ROOL rather than here. But whatever the answer, I'll almost certainly be getting a copy anyway.
--
nr.

JollyRoger

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:17 pm

My guess is that the SD card will include RiscOs with the software installed, in which case all you have to do is tweak CONFIG.TXT to suit your setup and stick it in the SD card slot. But I'm guessing ... let us know, ukscone, if you find out more.

JollyRoger

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Sorry for the mistake in my last post - my question should have been addressed to nr, not ukscone.

Peterdl

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am

The Nut Pi SD card contains a copy facility so that you can copy it to the RISC OS SD card from what I've heard.

theom

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 am

There's no OS on the NutPi card, but you can switch cards at any time - RISC OS will prompt if it needs the original SD card for anything (like floppies, remember them?). I think there's an installery-thing on the NutPi card to copy things onto the boot SD. Worst case, put in the NutPi card, make a big RAM disc, copy everything over, swap back the boot SD, copy onto that.

Sandgrounder

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 am

Re: "You can switch cards at any time".

Not really true. You can switch cards with care - depending on what the Pi is doing at the time.

It is not really a good idea as there no equivalent of the Windows "remove USB card" facility.

microbitsuk

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:29 am

Yes i bought one even though i all ready own the DDE, photdesk etc
i reason i bought it is the best way that you can support the ongoing development of the platform.
it's also great value for money, check out the cost of the items if bought separately, so put you hands in your pockets and go for it.

nr.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:37 am

Agreed with the above comment - one of the reasons that I paid for the collection is that the donate button on the ROOL homepage doesn't work!
--
nr.

theom

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 pm

There is a 'safely remove' option actually... it's on the SD card iconbar menu and it's 'dismount'. As long as you pull the card when the activity light is off, you're fine to swap cards. All you have to remember is you reinsert them and 'dismount' them when you're done, and before you reset/power off.

swirlythingy

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:13 am

Sandgrounder wrote:Not really true. You can switch cards with care - depending on what the Pi is doing at the time.

It is not really a good idea as there no equivalent of the Windows "remove USB card" facility.
Yes there is - see theom's post. In addition, RISC OS doesn't access the disk that much in normal use (particularly since it has no virtual memory), so as long as you're not streaming MP3s or something, it's normally fine to remove the card without warning.

That only applies if it's an ADFS formatted medium (which the RISC OS boot card is). FAT32 media absolutely must be dismounted using the icon bar menu, lest corruption occur!

nr.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:33 am

swirlythingy wrote:FAT32 media absolutely must be dismounted using the icon bar menu, lest corruption occur!
Quick question... I use the Fat32FS module to mount the 'other' half of the 4GB SD card that contains a 2GB fat32 partition. How do I get an icon in the menu bar to link to this filesystem?

Ta,
--
nr.

luafox

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:36 am

nr. wrote: 2) Does the price include updates?
AFAIK there is no general answer to this question, because every contributor can decide this by himself. So if there is no information in the corresponding ReadMe-File you could try to contact the author directly.

Regarding luafox there is are no updates included - but you get the latest version of the software when you buy NutPi. Since NutPi still contains luafox 1.40 but the new version 1.50 appeared at the same day NutPi was released, every NutPi owner can request a free update to 1.50.

swirlythingy

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:30 pm

nr. wrote:
swirlythingy wrote:FAT32 media absolutely must be dismounted using the icon bar menu, lest corruption occur!
Quick question... I use the Fat32FS module to mount the 'other' half of the 4GB SD card that contains a 2GB fat32 partition. How do I get an icon in the menu bar to link to this filesystem?
I don't think you can, or at least not with the current version of the module. Hopefully a future version will offer this functionality, as well as the ability to mount the partition without having to use the command line.

Also, it's called the 'icon bar', not the 'menu bar'. The reason for this was explained by Paul Fellows, one of the original designers of RISC OS, at ROUGOL (RISC OS User Group Of London) a few months ago. He had to design a user interface, and one of the most successful at that time was Apple's, but he didn't want to be sued by Apple (famously litigious even in those days, it seems). So he saw that Mac OS had a menu bar at the top of the screen, and decided that his bar would therefore go at the bottom of the screen, and have icons instead of menus. It was, he assured us, really as simple as that.

Then, shortly after RISC OS's release, Apple brazenly nicked its 'icon bar' concept and rebranded it the 'dock'! They've been utterly impervious to irony for a long time, too...

NigelJK

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:34 pm

At the time rumour had it that MS delayed the publication of W95 to add their version, although they probably plagiarised Apple's already plagiarised version, neither are a good as the original.

Unhban

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:44 pm

One question I've been meaning to ask about the menu/icon/dock bar :shock: is... is it possible to move it to the top of the screen by changing values in some deep-in-the-depths file? :?

Regards, Unh.

timrowledge

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:39 am

Unhban wrote: is it possible to move it to the top of the screen by changing values in some deep-in-the-depths file?
You'd probably have interesting problems with the menus that come with each icon - they're generally specified to position just above the icon. Could be tricky with the top of the screen just above the icon…

And really, since it's an icon bar with rather different purpose than the menu bars of Mac OS & Windows, it would be more sensible to let it be what it is. You don't often interact with it anyway since the actual application menus are kinda-sorta within the application window.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

pygmy_giant

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I am being tempted to buy this - does anyone know if DataPower would allow me to set up and access a database using SQL calls via PHP?

Edit: I think so....!?
http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/r-comp/dp2/featur2.htm

Burngate

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Quote from that website:
"SQL
SQL, or Structured Query Language, is the industry standard database query language that is used by most of the relational database systems in the world.
You can define your queries using DataPower's graphical tools and then switch to the SQL editor - changes you make in one are automatically translated by DataPower and reflected in the other.
SQL queries can be used in just the same way as any other queries you create."
You could try e-mailing r-comp - they're generally helpful guys

bhtooefr

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

NigelJK wrote:At the time rumour had it that MS delayed the publication of W95 to add their version, although they probably plagiarised Apple's already plagiarised version, neither are a good as the original.
The OS X Dock derives from the NeXTStep Dock (NeXT was bought by Apple, but it was very much not Apple (even though it was run by Steve Jobs)), which dates back to 1989 (one year after RISC OS, two years after Arthur). NeXT's Dock didn't really look anything like Arthur or RISC OS's icon bars, though.

The Windows 95 taskbar... a case could be made there for borrowing some behavior from RISC OS, but Windows 95 wasn't delayed to include it - it was present as early as November 1993, in something very close to its form in the released Windows 95. (And, then, it was actually rather close to what was released with Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 4 in some functionality.)

However, the task list functionality introduced in the November 1993 build of Windows 95, and even more, its appearance in Windows 7 and 8's taskbar, comes straight from Windows 1.01, predating Arthur by 2 years, RISC OS by 3 years (and a 1984 preview of Windows had that behavior, too, adding another year to that).

Unhban

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:12 am

timrowledge wrote:
Unhban wrote: is it possible to move it to the top of the screen by changing values in some deep-in-the-depths file?
You don't often interact with it anyway since the actual application menus are kinda-sorta within the application window.
Don't I often interact with it? How do you know? I do. And, I prefer it at the top whatever. Why cannot RISC OS do this? Is it so restrictive?

Unh.

Burngate

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:54 am

In some ways the icon bar is treated just like any other window. So it should be possible to move it.
And menus from other windows are aware of the screen edges so why not the icon bar?

I would suggest that it won't move because the original writers didn't think about it, maybe because they had higher-priority things to do

And if we can have it somewhere else, why not slap-bang in the middle?
If we can do that, then it's something else that RISC OS can do that no-one else can :D

Don't expect me to do it, though - I'm not that clever :(

pygmy_giant

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Burngate said:
You could try e-mailing r-comp - they're generally helpful guys

I did and they were!

Apparently DataPower will interact with PHP scripts which address it using SQL- good for testing web apps offline.

timrowledge

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: icon bar moving - there was, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far way, some code/settings that would make the icon bar be just another window. It was amusing for a few minutes in my experience but not exactly some thing I wanted to keep.
Sadly I can't remember anything more about it.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

Return to “RISCOS”