timrowledge

Re: New to RISC OS? Read this!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:50 am

I had this problem yesterday when trying to see if I could fudge-partition an 8GB card to have the RISC OS 2Gb and a usable FATex for the rest. It *seemed* to work at one point but the boot process failed pretty much as point 5. about; it failed to complete the boot. This used to be the situation on RISC OS machines if the disk wasn't happy so I suppose the partition stuff had confused the system in a similar manner.

Doing a plain simple
dd if=RISCOSthingy.IMG of=/dev/whicheverrawdisk bs=1m
made it all happy.

Pity, really. A way to access the rest of the SD memory would be nice.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

tvjon

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm

"Raik"'s post on the ROOl forum about his 16 Gb. SD card image seems to work fine for me. Why not try that?

AquaMan

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 pm

tvjon wrote:"Raik"'s post on the ROOl forum about his 16 Gb. SD card image seems to work fine for me. Why not try that?
Uh?

sawdust

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 am

AquaMan wrote:
tvjon wrote:"Raik"'s post on the ROOl forum about his 16 Gb. SD card image seems to work fine for me. Why not try that?
Uh?
See here;

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums ... 676?page=2

antiloquax

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Although I have booted my RPi with RISC OS before, I haven't done much with it.
I've just bought this book

Raspberry Pi Assembly Language

and I am keen to have a go using the BBC BASIC assembler. So far I have only done a few very simple asm things using the GNU assembler under LInux.

It's great to be using RISC OS - although I never owned a BBC micro, I had one on an extended loan when I was a teenager and did a fair bit of BASIC programming on it.

mark

GavinW

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:02 pm

My hope for those who are new to RISC OS is not just that you will find it fun, but that you will be subverted by it. There are lots of things that you will not be able to do using RISC OS. Do not expect too much. But I hope that, when you have got used to its user-interface, you will start asking yourself questions about more popular operating systems, such as:
  • Why do I have to wait so long for the OS to be loaded in from a hard-disk? Why cannot I just switch on and get going? Why do I have to wait so long for the system to close down?

Why do windows leap to the top when I write into them, obscuring other windows from which I want to read while I write? Why cannot I move a window behind another one as easily as moving it over the top?

Why do applications have to be installed and uninstalled? Why cannot I arrange my hard disk in the way that I want it organized?

Why cannot I keep menus open after I have made a selection?

Why cannot I scroll windows vertically and horizontally at the same time? Why do the contents of the window leap back to where they were if my finger slips while I am scrolling?
Go on. Be awkward.
otium negare negotium vanum

pygmy_giant

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm subverted already.

Whats new in the 19th March image? Does it have improved USB drivers?

RoliPi

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Wow, that were exactly my thoughts too after started using RISC OS.
Even after all i have trouble with accented letters, as RISC OS can't recognize my hungarian keyboard.

AMcS

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:34 pm

pygmy_giant wrote:I'm subverted already.

Whats new in the 19th March image? Does it have improved USB drivers?
I think there we're just two changes (aimed at addressing issues in the earlier RC7 release). I don't think there's any update to the USB yet.

Details of the changes are given in: http://www.riscosopen.org/news/articles ... c8-out-now

Return to “RISCOS”