PaulKnight

RISC OS and Hyperpixel Screen

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi,

I would like to build a mini RISC OS machine, ideally using a RPi Zero W (but I also have an RPi3 if the zero isn't suitable) and a Hyperpixel display.

I have managed to get Raspbian working on the Hyperpixel display (the instructions provided with the screen work well), but would love to get Risc OS working now - its such a cool operating system, and really makes the Pi Zero a usable "desktop" machine - its just so fast being such a lightweight OS.

Does anyone know how this can be achieved using a Hyperpixel screen, or would I be better off with a different screen that connects via HDMI rather than the GPIO pins? If so, any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Kind regards,
Paul

handsomegenius

Re: RISC OS and Hyperpixel Screen

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 am

No idea about the screen. But the zero W might not be all that suitable if you want to connect to the internet with it. You want an Ethernet port to connect your Pi to a network using Risc OS.

PaulKnight

Re: RISC OS and Hyperpixel Screen

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks handsomegenius.

Yes, wireless internet connection would be good if possible, otherwise I could connect up when in the office/home. Not having "distractions" like the internet could be helpful when getting work done! When I used a Psion Series 3c (and later a Series 5) without internet connection, it was great for focusing on what you were doing without any notifications popping up all the time. It would be great to have EPOC 16/32 (this OS that was installed on the Psions) on a more modern machine (the Pi is so much more powerful in hardware terms) but without this being available, I figured RiscOS is the next best thing! With Risc OS installed on a Pi Zero, with connect display (Hyperpixel or other) and BT keyboard and mouse, it could be a neat little solution for getting work done (work processing, light graphics work etc..) when on the move and where a laptop is just to cumbersome.

I came across this the other day - it could be a good solution for a wired network solution.

http://www.riscosbits.co.uk/zero.htm

Thanks again,
Paul :-)

Return to “RISCOS”