handsomegenius

Trying to dual boot RISCOS and Retropie

Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 am

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to set up an SD card to dual boot RISCOS and Retropie so that I can play some Acorn Archimedes games as well.

It says on the website that the NOOBS boot loader can install RISCOS.. but when I go to do it, it's not in the menu.

I've tried PINN as well and have had the same problem - it just doesn't appear in the menu.

So I tried using the RISCOS image from the website as a local image with PINN, with no success. Investigating further, I think the problem is that it's a .img file but PINN expects to see .tar.xz files of the relevant partitions.

Is there some way that I can convert a .img file to .tar.xz? Either on Windows or Raspbian?

Or is there some other bootloader I can look at that is good for RISCOS?

procount

Re: Trying to dual boot RISCOS and Retropie

Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 am

If RiscOS is not showing up in NOOBS or PINN it is because it is not compatible with your model of PI.
Here is its compatibility list:

Code: Select all

"supported_models": [
                "Pi Model",
                "Pi Compute Module Rev",
                "Pi Zero",
                "Pi 2"
            ],
So you are out of luck if you have a Pi3
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

jahboater

Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am

procount wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 am
So you are out of luck if you have a Pi3
I think that has changed recently, see the downloads page.

I doubt it uses all four cores though, and it may not support the new Pi3+.

procount

Wed May 16, 2018 9:57 am

Yes, you are right. RiscOS is continually evolving and there are now IMAGES that can be burnt direct to an SD card (Etcher) for all versions of RPi, but these image files are not installable by NOOBS/PINN for a multi-boot scenario as the OP requested.

RiscOS has some special file system which required additional support to be built-in to NOOBS, and a special BLOB file to be created. I understand that a new BLOB may need to be created by the RiscOS maintainers, and new NOOBS format .tar.xz files for the latest OS version.

The version that is installable by NOOBS is now quite old, so it does not support the latest RPi models.

I would be happy to add an updated version of RiscOS to the list of PINN installable OSes, but I have no idea how to create the necessary Blob files. So the RiscOS maintainers will need to be asked to create the NOOBS installable files. It may need modification to NOOBS/PINN too, depending on the requirements of the BLOB file.

EDIT: See viewtopic.php?t=193763#p1214114 which is why I didn't go any further last time.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

handsomegenius

Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for the super prompt replies.. muy obrigado :)

So, where to from here?

I have 2 SD cards - could I write the image to one of them, and then make a tar.xz from that?

Or does the RISCOS file system ruin that?

procount

Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 am

Option 1
=======
As you have 2 SD cards, forget multi-boot and use one SD card for Retropie and the other for RISCOS. Just use Etcher to burn the .img files directly to the SD cards and swap the cards when you want to switch OSes

Option 2
=======
Use Etcher to burn RiscOS to one of your SD cards and ensure it boots/works.
Then follow the instructions here or adapted from here to create a custom OS installation for the new RiscOS.
Try and install this new RiscOS from NOOBS or PINN.
If/when it doesn't work, try asking on the RISCOS forum because I won't have a clue ;)

handsomegenius

Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks! I'll give option 2 a go. I have to unscrew my case to swap cards, which is kind of a drag when you just wanna play a few levels. If I can't get dual boot working, I'll just get another case.

DavidS

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Option 3:
Write RISC OS to a large enough SD Card, put a 4GB (4294967296 Byte) unknown type partition around the space used by RISC OS, do this by directly editing the root sector. Then put your RetroPi installation in a new ext4 partition, and the boot files in the FAT32 partition. Have two copies of your config.txt, one for when loading the riscos.img file and another for loading your kernel.img and intrid.img, so that you have the correct environment for both, remembering that the kernel command line will have to specify the third partition as the Linux root.

Just have the Config.txt copies named config.ros and config.lnx then overwrite the config.txt with the one you wish to boot to, makes it easy to switch systems, and works well.
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

Return to “RISCOS”