StrykerCK7

Can't access root directory with RISC OS Pico?

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Hello,
I apologize if my problem has an incredibly obvious solution, but I've hit a bit of a wall with RISC OS Pico, and I haven't found any other cases of the same issue. I'm unable to access the root directory of the SD card upon which I've installed the OS, so I can't use examples or transfer usable files to and from it. Instead, the home directory seems to be one similar to that in the full version of RISC OS, despite the fact that none of the sub directories are visibly present on the card. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Can't access root directory with RISC OS Pico?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:10 am

StrykerCK7 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:02 pm
Hello,
I apologize if my problem has an incredibly obvious solution, but I've hit a bit of a wall with RISC OS Pico, and I haven't found any other cases of the same issue. I'm unable to access the root directory of the SD card upon which I've installed the OS, so I can't use examples or transfer usable files to and from it. Instead, the home directory seems to be one similar to that in the full version of RISC OS, despite the fact that none of the sub directories are visibly present on the card. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

RiscOS developers support their Operating System

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/
Adieu

dfeugey

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:28 am

> RiscOS developers support their Operating System

Yes, and we do it here too :)

What does *CAT and *DIR gives you with RISC OS Pico?
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

helpful

Sun May 06, 2018 12:24 am

Brief info:

*CAT displays the disc catalogue, i.e. contents of the current directory
*DIR changes directory
The directory separator is a dot (not a / like on Linux)
The root directory on RISC OS is called '$', so *DIR $ would take you to the root, and *DIR $.Examples to the examples directory
To go up a directory use *UP or *DIR ^

Hope that helps a bit.

Bryan.

StrykerCK7

Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Thank you for the replies! Sorry I'm replying so late...
Unfortunately, I've already tried listing directory contents and changing the directory. I've searched around a bit, and couldn't find any sub-directories that I recognized.

*CAT, in the root directory, outputs:
!Boot
Apps
Diversions
Documents
Printing
Programming
Public
Sources
Utilities

Whereas, as far as I'm aware, it should output:
Examples
FirstSteps
The files visible on the SD card from my Windows machine.

This is odd. I can save files, like BASIC programs, but I cannot find where the files are being saved. That is, I can access them through the Pi, but not on my other system.

dfeugey

Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 am

OK I see. You look at the the SDFS partition. I don't know if RISC OS Pico uses DOSFS or FAT32FS, but one of these two commands could give you access to the DOS partition.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

helpful

Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 am

That's the full RISC OS hard disc image you've got there. I'm guessing you have previously used this card for a full install and have not blanked it afterwards. So although you have booted Pico, when it looks at the SD card it sees the native RISC OS partition first and mounts that.
Other OS's don't recognise the RO partition which is why you can't see any files you create from them.

Either use a different SD card, or blank (re-partition) that one before reformatting it as FAT. Because Pico doesn't have any requirement to load resources it is happy to run from a FAT partition.

Bryan.

Return to “RISCOS”