Darktrax

I tried RiscOS Pi

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi all
After quite a long time away, I finally got back to the Pi, this time a Pi 3 with a Sandisk SD card that was fast enough not to limit the performance.
And - while getting curious, a thing from the long past shows up.
I loaded up RiscOS on the Raspberry Pi 3, and I was blown away by the performance!

There is something about RiscOS that delivers a smooth responsive video, and for me, a whole bundle of Archimedes and RiscPC nostalgia.
(You can tell I got distracted quite easily)!
:D

fruitoftheloom

Re: I tried RiscOS Pi

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Darktrax wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:16 pm
Hi all
After quite a long time away, I finally got back to the Pi, this time a Pi 3 with a Sandisk SD card that was fast enough not to limit the performance.
And - while getting curious, a thing from the long past shows up.
I loaded up RiscOS on the Raspberry Pi 3, and I was blown away by the performance!

There is something about RiscOS that delivers a smooth responsive video, and for me, a whole bundle of Archimedes and RiscPC nostalgia.
(You can tell I got distracted quite easily)!
:D

Yes a section of this forum is dedicated:

viewforum.php?f=55
Adieu

Qjimbo

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm

It is a very nice OS. It's just unfortunate it's not full open sourced (just shared source) otherwise we'd probably see a lot more development and applications for it.

DavidS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 am

RISC OS is a very nice OS with its own advantages. It is still my primary OS, probably will be for the foreseeable future.
Qjimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm
It is a very nice OS. It's just unfortunate it's not full open sourced (just shared source) otherwise we'd probably see a lot more development and applications for it.
Do to the modular nature of RISC OS, it is surprising that truly Open Source replacements for all the modules have not began to appear yet. I still say that there would be an advantage in rewriting the modules that make up RISC OS in an Open Source (BSD or MIT license) form, and this can be done a little at a time, it is just a matter of getting enough people interested in doing so (and preserving the largely assembly language nature of RISC OS).

A good rewrite would also solve the toolchain problem. Currently Norcroft C and the DDE are needed to compile RISC OS, a rewrite could use open source assemblers, C compilers, and other tools.

We would just need enough people that want to see an Open Source RISC OS, and enough people willing to write in ARM Assembly language (to keep many of the advantages of RISC OS).
Save power, use fewer cycles total. Assembly Language forever :) .

Return to “RISCOS”