webshaker

Bundle of questions before starting

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:32 am

Hi.

I'll have to start a new project and I like to have information about the RiscOS possibilty before choosing the OS.
I have had an Archimedes few years ago and I like this computer, so if I can use the BBC basic one time again it could be cool.

My main question are:

1 - Do the BBC basic still allow to switch to assembly. And if Yes, does the neon instructions are allowed ?
2 - Is it possible to draw on the DSI device AND hdmi device simultaneously
3 - How many second are needed to boot a Raspberry Pi with risc OS. I remember my Archimedes boots so fast.

Thank's
Etienne

webshaker

Re: Bundle of questions before starting

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:06 pm

In fact this in not a DSI device but a LCD 40 pins device.

thank's

Burngate

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm

webshaker wrote:
1 - Do the BBC basic still allow to switch to assembly. And if Yes, does the neon instructions are allowed ?
Yes, you can still use assembler code. No idea about neon, as I've not needed it.
3 - How many second are needed to boot a Raspberry Pi with risc OS. I remember my Archimedes boots so fast.
Try it and see.

Go to https://www.riscosopen.org/content/ for more info, specifically https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documen ... 0Pi%20port.

dfeugey

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:16 am

BBC Basic's assembler is pretty complete. And there is now a version of BBC Basic with VFP support.
The system boots in around 20 seconds. Much less with a smaller Boot sequence. And in no time in command line mode.
Dual screen: not sure...
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

DavidS

Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:39 pm

webshaker wrote:

Yes it does. Same as always.
And the current version supports VFP and NEON instructions.
2 - Is it possible to draw on the DSI device AND hdmi device simultaneously
i do not know of anyone that has ever tried that. i am not even sure how one would go about it.
Is there a way to do so in other OS's on the RPi?
Depends on what is in your boot sequence. Anywhere from 7 seconds (for how i have mine) to about 20 seconds (for how it is configured when you get it).
Thank's
Etienne
I just hope this helps.
The Raspberry Pi is an ARM based computer, that runs many different and varied Operating Systems, including Linux, RISC OS, BSD, as well as many more.

Return to “RISCOS”