MarkyV

RISCOS Not on NOOBS?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi All,

I have been trying to get a working version of RISCOS on my RPi 3 - the docs seem to indicate that NOOBS (Networked) has it as an option but I have just downloaded the latest and run it an RISCOS is not on the list - has it been removed?

Thanks,

Mark
My RaspberryPi Blog: http://thepimaker.online

fruitoftheloom

Re: RISCOS Not on NOOBS?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:47 pm

MarkyV wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm
Hi All,

I have been trying to get a working version of RISCOS on my RPi 3 - the docs seem to indicate that NOOBS (Networked) has it as an option but I have just downloaded the latest and run it an RISCOS is not on the list - has it been removed?

Thanks,

Mark

Why not just install from the supplied .IMG ?

https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

MarkyV

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Yep - tried that too first - no sign of boot - I have posted on their forums.

I was just wondering why RISCOS had been removed from NOOBS if it has.

Martin Frezman

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 am

I was hoping to be able to have this post instruct you to use PINN instead of NOOBS, b/c I think there have been cases where PINN's list of available OSes was more extensive than that provided by NOOBS; this being one of the many advantages of PINN over NOOBS.

Unfortunately, I just loaded up the latest PINN (from 7/13/17) and discovered that, indeed, RISCOS is missing from the list. I wonder why... I know it was there in the past. So, I'm not sure what I can tell you.

FWIW, I do have some vague recollection of there being some kerfluffle here to the effect that there was something wrong with RISCOS (maybe that it didn't work on the latest Pi hardware - i.e., the 3) and that, for some reason, it was being "taken off the market". But I don't remember any of the details of that discussion.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want RISCOS? I have to admit that I've installed it a few times, played with it a bit each time, said things like "Yeah, that's cool", but could never figure anything I actually could *do* with it. It seemed like most of the effort as getting used to its windowing model, which is pretty different from what we are all used to. Again, to be clear, I really *wanted* to like it; I just couldn't make myself do that.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

MarkyV

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Martin,

I have just had a message on the ROOL forum that there is a problem between the latest RISCOS builds and the RPi firmware so I suspect I will need to see if I can work with previous versions or wait for an update.

The reason I am trying to get a RISCOS machine running on RPi is that back in the distant past I wrote a series of educational games called ArcVenture which were sold through Sherston Software - The original editions for RISCOS are now quite difficult to find but I have some of the discs still and I'm hoping some backups on hard disc and floppies of the source - the plan being to try to resurrect the old programmes and get them working again on a currently available system.

Early days yet - it's amazing how much is just not available anymore - I did manage to find one PC with a floppy drive and have started making image files - amazing the 20 year old floppies are still readable!

Martin Frezman

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:58 am

Ah, very interesting. I wish you luck. Keep us posted if anything interesting develops.

procount

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 am

Just to fill in some gaps....
PINN installs the same version of RISCOS as NOOBS from the RPF website, so if it disappears from NOOBS, it will disappear from PINN.
But RISCOS is still there and looking at the various files for it, it looks like it should still be downloadable and installable, but I'm not able to test it at the moment.
HOWEVER, it is not enabled for the RPi3! I don't know why (maybe firmware issues as stated above), but maybe that is your problem? Try a RPI2 if you can.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Milliways

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:56 am

I haven't tried RISCOS for years, but AFAIK the standalone image still works, but NOT on the Pi2 or Pi3 because of the changed memory map caused by the 1GB RAM.

The same issues seem to affect the "bare metal" code, which is not adapted to the new memory map.

Martin Frezman

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 pm

but AFAIK the standalone image still works, but NOT on the Pi2 or Pi3
Yeah, that sounds about right. It won't work on any of the 1GB RAM models.

Incidentally, I think (but have not tested) that it will work fine in NOOBS/PINN provided you are booting it on right (i.e., pre-1GB RAM) hardware. I.e., the determination of whether or not to include it on the list of available OSes is made at runtime, based on what hardware is currently running.

The point of this is to make clear that you can still use NOOBS/PINN; you don't have to revert to downloading a "standalone" image.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 pm
but AFAIK the standalone image still works, but NOT on the Pi2 or Pi3
Yeah, that sounds about right. It won't work on any of the 1GB RAM models.

Incidentally, I think (but have not tested) that it will work fine in NOOBS/PINN provided you are booting it on right (i.e., pre-1GB RAM) hardware. I.e., the determination of whether or not to include it on the list of available OSes is made at runtime, based on what hardware is currently running.

The point of this is to make clear that you can still use NOOBS/PINN; you don't have to revert to downloading a "standalone" image.

The OP has a Raspberry Pi 3B, how does this help ??
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:48 pm

MarkyV wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 pm
Yep - tried that too first - no sign of boot - I have posted on their forums.

I was just wondering why RISCOS had been removed from NOOBS if it has.

How did you burn the .IMG File, https://etcher.io/ ???

AFAIAA RiscOS for the BCM2836/7 SoC went through a long development process, which is possibly why it is only offered in earlier versions of NoobS/PINN..

In in all fairness a RPi with the BCM2835 SoC is more than adequate to run RiscOS ;)

mikerr

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Coincidentally I was just adding RISCOS to my android imager app (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=170856&p=1203875)
so this download may be of use:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspbi ... p/download [108 MB]

Extract the zip to a blank SD as you would NOOBS.

The file is just NOOBS with riscos files predownloaded
- so it will install without a network connection and modified to allow a install on pi3
(the normal noobs version is set for pi1/pi2 only)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

procount

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi Mikerr,
I just tried your image and it works fine on Pi2, but on my Pi3 I just get a blank screen with the red and green LEDs continuously on.
Did you just modify os.json to allow it to install on Pi3, or did you modify something else to allow it to actually run on the Pi3?
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

procount

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:24 pm

There seems to be an RC15 version of RiscOs released 20-4-2017 which claims to work on all Pi models includig the Pi3, so I might have a go at converting it to NOOBS format, provided none of the offsets have changed.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

procount wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:24 pm
There seems to be an RC15 version of RiscOs released 20-4-2017 which claims to work on all Pi models includig the Pi3, so I might have a go at converting it to NOOBS format, provided none of the offsets have changed.

Yes that is the .IMG the OP tried, before searching for a NoobS solution, I posted the link in first response....

procount

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Well, I don't know why it didn't work for the OP, but I just tried it on a Pi3 and it installed fine.
So I'll try and convert it to NOOBS format. Fingers crossed!
It's about time that image was updated.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:00 pm

procount wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 pm
Well, I don't know why it didn't work for the OP, but I just tried it on a Pi3 and it installed fine.
So I'll try and convert it to NOOBS format. Fingers crossed!
It's about time that image was updated.
I think the problem is that we don't have the 'raw' minimised filesystem. You can update the blob and that will boot, but it will fall over when it tried to work with the filesystem.

procount

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Ah... i knew there must be a reason. Oh well.

MarkyV

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:53 pm

I have had some success tonight - by writing the SD card image from ROOL - then overwriting with the latest git firmware files and changing the setup.txt to force HDMI output - which produced an error on boot (which I wasn't seeing previously : DataAbort:Abort on data transfer at &FC00B770 (Error Number &80000002) - but typing Desktop did get me to the desktop but with no disc drives :(

However ... running the same card on a Pi Zero Boots to a screen that is looking for a network connection (that it will not find) – so Escape get into the desktop – so I’m getting there with the zero :)

MarkyV

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Ok - I'm there with the RPi 3 now - SD card image written - overwrite with latest git boot firmware - edit the setup.txt to force hdmi and download the nightly build img file and copy to SD card - make sure network wire is in - kasploosh - RPi3 running RISC OS - Banzai!!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions - got there eventually :D

Mark

Burngate

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:16 am

Would it be worth while moving this thread from "Using the Raspberry Pi > Troubleshooting" to "Operating system distributions > RISCOS" ?

Return to “RISCOS”