jubber

Is it possible to install RISC OS on a Pi Zero?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi there chaps - having a lot of trouble getting Risc OS to install on my raspberry pi zero. I tried using win32DiskImager and dropped the riscos-2015-02-17-RC14.img file on to it - the Pi Zero just remained a blank screen. Then I got NOOBS running (tested with a Raspbian OS that installed correctly) but RISC_OS directory wasn't recognised, even with lots of rename attempts. Then I tried an old version of NOOBS with all the OSes on it - RISC OS wasn't recognised. Finally I used a new version of NOOBS but with the old version's copy of RISC_OS and this time at least the bootloader did show RISC OS as an option. Unfortunately it then said Risc OS could not install - "size of recovery partition too large"? I have a bog standard 8gb SD card.

What's my next step? I've googled this problem for some time and must be using the wrong terms because getting the information is proving ... frustrating.

Is it even possible to install risc os to a Pi Zero?

Many Thanks
Last edited by jubber on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElEscalador

Re: Pi Zero

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:20 pm

jubber wrote: Is it even possible to install risc os to a Pi Zero?
Maybe put that in the subject line and the people that know might answer...because "Pi Zero" is so vague no one cares.
A few of my projects below.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdlhFMXxFUNlMpeqHipdSIO20pb4piHfj

B.Goode

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:20 pm

tried using win32DiskImager and dropped the riscos-2015-02-17-RC14.img file on to it
The PiZero was released towards the end of 2015.

No Operating System or Installer released prior to that date will boot up the PiZero without intervention or modification.

The NOOBS Installer, even the 'full' offline version, contains only the Raspbian Operating System. To be able to see other Operating Systems available for installation from online sources your RPi will need a working internet connection.

jubber

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:11 pm

ElEscalador wrote:
Maybe put that in the subject line and the people that know might answer...because "Pi Zero" is so vague no one cares.
Righto - subject line changed. Considering this is the RISC OS part of the forum I thought "Pi Zero" might have been sufficiently obvious - but your advice is well taken

jubber

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:28 pm

B.Goode wrote:
tried using win32DiskImager and dropped the riscos-2015-02-17-RC14.img file on to it
The PiZero was released towards the end of 2015.

No Operating System or Installer released prior to that date will boot up the PiZero without intervention or modification.

The NOOBS Installer, even the 'full' offline version, contains only the Raspbian Operating System. To be able to see other Operating Systems available for installation from online sources your RPi will need a working internet connection.
Part of your reply is incorrect - NOOBS installer comes in a version which *does* contain multiple operating systems - although it does take a bit of searching to find it. Moreover the NOOBS installer has a folder called "os" - so even on the lite versions you can place various operating systems for offline install before the SD card is rejigged by the pi's boot system. However, if you're correct in saying that nothing made before late 2015 will install then presumably you are saying, definitively, that RISC OS cannot be installed on the Raspberry Pi Zero, because that img file was the latest one I could find on the RISC OS website.

That's a pity.

Moreover the Pi Zero does not have pre-boot wifi capabilities, so no method to install RISC OS exists (although there is one wifi module that works in the pre-boot mode, but it costs four times as much as the Pi Zero itself, making it rather an expensive experiment).

B.Goode

Re: Is it possible to install RISC OS on a Pi Zero?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Part of your reply is incorrect - NOOBS installer comes in a version which *does* contain multiple operating systems
I'm always happy to learn something new. Where is that version of NOOBS documented and downloaded please?

ElEscalador

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:06 pm

jubber wrote:
ElEscalador wrote:
Righto - subject line changed. Considering this is the RISC OS part of the forum I thought "Pi Zero" might have been sufficiently obvious - but your advice is well taken
Good point - I tend to forget that there are even different forums because I think a lot of us just fire up and hit "new posts" - which gives no indication of the individual forum anything is posted in unless you do some digging.
A few of my projects below.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdlhFMXxFUNlMpeqHipdSIO20pb4piHfj

jubber

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:45 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Part of your reply is incorrect - NOOBS installer comes in a version which *does* contain multiple operating systems
I'm always happy to learn something new. Where is that version of NOOBS documented and downloaded please?
It took a bit of digging on various forums but one or two posts linked to the following -

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/ ... 014-07-08/

I'm not sure which posts lead me there - I'm very new to these forums - but it was being discussed as the last full fat version of Noobs (before it was shrunk for the benefit of 4GB cards?)

It contains various OS flavours, including RiscOS. Although this is old, the Pi Zero hardware is also, as far as I know, very similar to the model B. This NOOBS version did run, and Raspbian installed successfully from it - but RISC OS did not. It must be very nearly compatible - or possibly my Pi Zero is knackered in some subtle fashion.

B.Goode

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:27 pm

I am not going to retrospectively edit what I wrote as that would be confusing.

But I should have written:
The current release of the NOOBS Installer, even the 'full' offline version, contains only the Raspbian Operating System.

That has been the case for over two years.

mikerr

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:20 pm

There's a Pi Zero RiscOS image here:

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/3858

http://riscos.openpandora.org/Projekte/ ... I_Zero.zip

Supported method is probably to run the latest NOOBS install on a network connected pi3 , select and install riscos then put the sd card in a Zero once finished....
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jubber

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Ah - so it looks as if getting the pi zero to install RISC OS is not possible if you only have a pi zero.

jubber

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Mikerr - the second link you posted, which had a download for riscos-2016-01-03-RC14_DSI_Zero - actually worked!

Many thanks - that's the nth file I've tried and the first that did anything. Hopefully any other Pi Zero owners who struggle to find the right information will eventually find this topic and have more success than I initially did.

Cheers,

Robin.

madtom1999

Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Does the wifi work with it?

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 23, 2017 2:54 pm

madtom1999 wrote:Does the wifi work with it?
RC15 has been released recently: https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi

Maybe ask the developers of this OS ??
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

dfeugey

Wed May 24, 2017 5:34 am

Does the wifi work with it?
No.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

Shawty

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
RC15 has been released recently: https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi

Iv'e just tried R15 as I read this. Stock SD w/RiscOS wont boot on Pi0 but boots fine on original Pi
still crazy (Even since the days of my BBC Model B) BEST and only way to be ;-)

IM: @shawty_ds on twitter
if you remember the Acorn and BBC days then I was "!Shawty! of DSPD" (Author of the BBC B Sound Tracker suite, and the Dreamscape demo)

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Shawty wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Iv'e just tried R15 as I read this. Stock SD w/RiscOS wont boot on Pi0 but boots fine on original Pi
Best to ask the RiscOS Developers ???
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.

Grumpy Mike

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:12 pm

mikerr wrote: Supported method is probably to run the latest NOOBS install on a network connected pi3 , select and install riscos
I tried that and riscos does not come up as an option.
Shawty wrote: Iv'e just tried R15 as I read this. Stock SD w/RiscOS wont boot on Pi0 but boots fine on original Pi
Can you be a bit more specific as to where / or how you put in the RiscOS image. I have downloaded it but can't seem to find a way to include it.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Grumpy Mike wrote:
mikerr wrote: Supported method is probably to run the latest NOOBS install on a network connected pi3 , select and install riscos
I tried that and riscos does not come up as an option.
Shawty wrote: Iv'e just tried R15 as I read this. Stock SD w/RiscOS wont boot on Pi0 but boots fine on original Pi
Can you be a bit more specific as to where / or how you put in the RiscOS image. I have downloaded it but can't seem to find a way to include it.
https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi

""RC15 SD card image 2017-04-20 12:58:52"" a SD Card needs to be created from this .IMG file, software like Etcher can handle this: https://etcher.io/

If you want to use NoobS, may I suggest you use PINN instead:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574&p=1168249#p1168249

Grumpy Mike

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks a lot Etcher worked a treat.
Cheers

Return to “RISCOS”