Martin Frezman

RISCOS and PINN (NOOBS)

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm

I setup an SD card with PINN, then installed RISCOS as the only OS.

When I boot, it goes straight into RISCOS - that's as expected.

However, and this is the bad part, I cannot get control via the "Shift Key hack". I have tried several times to regain control via holding down shift during the boot, but it always goes directly into RISCOS. It seems the only way I can regain control is to rip the card out and start over from scratch (re-install PINN).

Not sure if this problem is limited to RISCOS or to PINN or if it is generic NOOBS.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

procount

Re: RISCOS and PINN (NOOBS)

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:42 pm

I just repeated this with the latest PINN 2.1.2 and I installed just RISC-OS.
When the white screen comes up with the Raspberry, I pressed the shift key and it went into the menu fine.
Sometimes you have to keep pressing it repeatedly, but the fact that you just have RISC-OS on it should make no difference.
You could also try pressing the left mouse button on this screen instead of the shift key (only in PINN - it won't work in NOOBS).

If you can't get it to work, another option is to add 'forcetrigger' to recovery.cmdline which will force the menu on each reboot, allowing you to install another OS.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Martin Frezman

Re: RISCOS and PINN (NOOBS)

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Interesting. It does not work for me, though.

Incidentally, I have confirmed two things - and have posted another item in General to that effect:
1) AFAICT, it has nothing to do with RISCOS. I pretty much assumed this was true from the start, but since it came up for me originally in the context of RISCOS, I had to allow for that being the case.
2) If 2 (or more) OSes are installed, it works as expected.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

Return to “RISCOS”