scruss

Re: Readable Code Style, Review Requested.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Yes, NetSurf (which I'm currently posting from) does not render <code> tags properly. Even explicitly setting

Code: Select all

code { font-family: 'Andale Mono', monospace; }
in the browser's default.css doesn't fix it. This is in the latest version, freshly pulled from git.

It may be a fast, small browser (though it's hoovering up nearly a gigabyte of RAM on this x86_64 for one tab and seemingly no JavaScript, so it's not very efficient) but it's barely usable for most web pages.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

DavidS

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:28 pm

jahboater wrote:
DavidS wrote: as the fixed width font in NetSurf is not Fixed Width.
Then its not the forum at fault.
You just need to find a working browser.
You took that statement out of context. It may be that the fixed width in NetSurf is not fixed width.

Though I banged up a quick html with < code > < / code > tags around the same code and it was indeed fixed width, so the problem is NOT Netsurf.
ARM BASIC: For the love of Simplicity, Fast Interpreted BASIC, and Assembly Language.
Always KISS Keep It Simple Silly.

DavidS

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:32 pm

scruss wrote:Yes, NetSurf (which I'm currently posting from) does not render <code> tags properly. Even explicitly setting

Code: Select all

code { font-family: 'Andale Mono', monospace; }
in the browser's default.css doesn't fix it. This is in the latest version, freshly pulled from git.

It may be a fast, small browser (though it's hoovering up nearly a gigabyte of RAM on this x86_64 for one tab and seemingly no JavaScript, so it's not very efficient) but it's barely usable for most web pages.
WOW, a gig of RAM in Netsurf???????

I have never seen Netsurf go past 32MB of ram total (less than 8MB for its WinpSlot and up to about 24MB for its allocated dynamic blocks). Though as NetSurf was made for RISC OS, I have never used it on any other system (Ok I use it on Atari TOS+MiNT+XaAES).
ARM BASIC: For the love of Simplicity, Fast Interpreted BASIC, and Assembly Language.
Always KISS Keep It Simple Silly.

scruss

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:22 pm

DavidS wrote:… I banged up a quick html with < code > < / code > tags around the same code and it was indeed fixed width, so the problem is NOT Netsurf.
after I spend ages trying to find fault with NetSurf … You're right. It's a bug in phpBB's CSS. It's only the sort of thing that you'd find running a browser like NetSurf that uses a radically different CSS engine from other browsers. I've registered a bug on phpBB's tracker: CSS error in ".codebox code" definition
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Return to “RISCOS”