heuristicjohn

RISCOS and RPi B+

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:16 pm

I have three RPi B+ cards, presumably functionally identical, and I am trying to run RISCOS (v RD14, card supplied by RISCOS OPEN) on each one. I have no problem with the oldest RPi, but on power up the other two (purchased this year) give me the 8 green led flashes which signify 'card not recognised' . All three RPI cards will run Raspbian (from a different SD card obviously) , so are in working condition. Connections, power supply etc are the same in each case. On board voltage is correct.
This would seem to imply a subtle difference between the earlier card and the two later ones, though I find this very hard to believe.
The cards are identified as follows:
9UKCE MC1 7-2 V-0F3 1422 (label 26/06) : Samsung is marking on largest chip (CPU ?)
9UKCE MC1 4-5 V-0F3 1436 (label 13/07) : Elpida ditto
9UKCE MC1 5-6 V-0F3 1438 (label 06/09) : Elpida ditto
Has anyone else met this problem ?

DavidS

Re: RISCOS and RPi B+

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:32 am

heuristicjohn wrote:I have three RPi B+ cards, presumably functionally identical, and I am trying to run RISCOS (v RD14, card supplied by RISCOS OPEN) on each one. I have no problem with the oldest RPi, but on power up the other two (purchased this year) give me the 8 green led flashes which signify 'card not recognised' . All three RPI cards will run Raspbian (from a different SD card obviously) , so are in working condition. Connections, power supply etc are the same in each case. On board voltage is correct.
This would seem to imply a subtle difference between the earlier card and the two later ones, though I find this very hard to believe.
The cards are identified as follows:
9UKCE MC1 7-2 V-0F3 1422 (label 26/06) : Samsung is marking on largest chip (CPU ?)
9UKCE MC1 4-5 V-0F3 1436 (label 13/07) : Elpida ditto
9UKCE MC1 5-6 V-0F3 1438 (label 06/09) : Elpida ditto
Has anyone else met this problem ?
Have you attempted to use the working copy of RISC OS on the other two RPi B+'s that are not working otherwise?

It is easy enough to swap SD Cards to find out if that is the issue.
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

dfeugey

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:51 am

Samsung is marking on largest chip (CPU ?)
Memory
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

rpdom

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:20 am

It sounds like you have an older version of bootcode.bin on the cards and it doesn't have support for the Elpida memory chip, but supports the older Samsung memory.

Try copying a bootcode.bin from a later card image.

heuristicjohn

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks for your input. Now I know which is the memory chip !
May I confirm all three B+ cards work fine on Raspbian Jessie (PIXEL GUI).
The bootcode.bin file on the latest RISCOS distribution (RC14) is dated 02/02/15
I tried replacing this with a bootcom.bin file (filched from Raspbian) dated 08/10/16. The result was that on switch-on the red led comes on, but not the green. When I restore the file dated 02/02/15, it reverts to the previous situation, ie on switch on the red led comes on, and the green led emits groups of 8 flashes.
This is all very odd. I'm keeping detailed notes on all these permutations - don't think I'm doing anything silly, but remain baffled.

heuristicjohn

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Quick update: just remembered I have an RPi 2B (embedded in PiDP8). This has Broadcom memory. This card runs the RC14 version of RISCOS with no problems. So how does the RISCOS SD card know which RPi card version it's on ? Baffling.

RaTTuS

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 pm

on all RPi's under Raspbain do a
cat /proc/cpuinfo
and post the output here
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

SEDev

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Try updating all 3 firmware files: BOOTCODE/BIN, START/ELF and FIXUP/DAT

If that still doesn't work, update the ROM image to the last nightly build from the RISC OS Open site.

My SD cards, updated as above, work with both an original RPi B and a RPi 3.

Burngate

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:34 pm

heuristicjohn wrote:... I have an RPi 2B. This has Broadcom memory.
No it doesn't!
On Pi's up to the B+ (and the Zero) the single big chip is the memory chip on top of the Broadcom SoC.
On the 2B & 3B the big chip is the SoC. The memory is underneath the board.
This card runs the RC14 version of RISCOS with no problems. So how does the RISCOS SD card know which RPi card version it's on ? Baffling.
Magic?
Or maybe RiscOs doesn't care - all the magic is in Bootcode.Bin, Start.Elf, Fixup.dat and possibly any other file in the boot partition that might look interesting.
So copy those across from the 2B's card.

DavidS

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:40 pm

heuristicjohn wrote:Quick update: just remembered I have an RPi 2B (embedded in PiDP8). This has Broadcom memory. This card runs the RC14 version of RISCOS with no problems. So how does the RISCOS SD card know which RPi card version it's on ? Baffling.
RISC OS does not know. I missunderstood what you said the problem was, sorry.

Though there are some SD cards that the driver code in RISC OS just does not like for what ever reason.
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

heuristicjohn

Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:26 am

Many thanks for responses. As I see it, the RPi B+ looks like the best platform for running RISCOS, being the most advanced RPi board still using a single core CPU (all that RISCOS needs). So my main worry is that no one else has reported this problem...

I have unearthed another RPi B+, so I now have four nominally identical boards. Two boards ('earlier') were bought in late 2014, have hardware revision (BCM2708) 0010, and Samsung RAM. The other two ('later') were bought this year, and differ only in having hardware revision 900032, and Elpida RAM.
If I plug an SD card loaded with RISCOS (RC14, current release) and associated files in to the earlier RPi B+ boards, RISCOS runs correctly; with the later RPi B+ boards, I just get the green led flashing in groups of 8 (? SD card not recognised). The RISCOS SD card also works fine on RPi B and 2B boards. Raspbian runs correctly on all the boards.

I have also used NOOBS to load a 16 GB SD card with both RISCOS and Raspbian Jessie. On the earlier RPi B+ cards, I can run either RISCOS or Raspbian. On the later RPI B+ cards, Raspbian runs but RISCOS does not.

Not sure whether this is worth pursuing, as I can work around it by simply swapping cards around, and go and do something more productive; but it would be nice to be able to understand this.

DavidS

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 pm

I would recommend trying newer firmware and a newer RISC OS ROM image for the RPi. There have been a lot of fixes since RC14 came out, maybe your issue is already fixed, who knows.

heuristicjohn

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 am

Just in case anyone is interested, I find that the RISCOS version recommended elsewhere in this forum for the RPi Zero (link http://riscos.openpandora.org/Projekte/ ... I_Zero.zip , which allows download of version 2016-01-03-RC14_DST_Zero.zip, does in fact work on the later version RPi B+ cards (which would not run earlier versions). Works fine on RPi zero too !

Return to “RISCOS”