MalcVolm

Connecting RISC PC hard disc to Ras Pi

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:29 pm

I am trying to transfer the contents of my RISC PC 600 hard drive, running RISC OS 3.5 to the Pi SD. The idea was to remove the hard drive from the RISC PC, plug it into a USB TO IDE adaptor connected to the ras pi and copy the files. I found one post that suggested this works.

I have tried everything I can think of, but failed. The Ras Pi boots into RISC OS, but then seems to hang when looking for the drive.

The hard drive is powered from an old PC PSU.

Initially I tried connecting an old Windows PC drive via the IDE to USB adaptor to the Ras Pi. On booting into RISC OS, the drive was recognised and I formatted the drive. The drive appeared on the desktop, and I copied files into it from :0, got error message about too many files in directory, I think, but not bothered as I suspected it was because I selected old format, when I formatted the drive. Copying seemed to work so I was not bothered.

so now I had a working system!

These are some other things I did:
I suspected that the boot sequence was running from the RISC PC drive ... It's an Acorn / Xemplar Classworks system that's designed to protect the hard drive from children deleting things. So you cannot get at the root !boot unless you have the password (long forgotten). I have disabled this and I renamed !Boot and did *OPT 4,0 to stop the drive booting. I have verified the drive on the original machine.

I tried to see if the old windows drive formatted on the Ras Pi could be read by my RISC PC. This failed as it was a 2GB drive and RISC OS 3.5 only supports up to 512 Mb. I tried to format this drive to a smaller size, but !HForm could not get info it needed fron the drive.

Could it be an incompatible USB to IDE adaptor? Does anyone know on ones that work. Or am I just expecting too much!

dfeugey

Re: Connecting RISC PC hard disc to Ras Pi

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 am

While it seems to be identical, SCSIFS (used for USB discs) is not ADFS (used for IDE discs). So I'm not surprised if you can't read your RISC PC drive on a Pi. For the other side, you can try to format a small FAT partition on the disc. The RISC PC will (perhaps) be able to use it.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

Burngate

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:20 am

If your RiscPC is on the same network as the Pi, you can transfer the files that way - far easier!

MalcVolm

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:56 am

dfeugey wrote:While it seems to be identical, SCSIFS (used for USB discs) is not ADFS (used for IDE discs). So I'm not surprised if you can't read your RISC PC drive on a Pi. For the other side, you can try to format a small FAT partition on the disc. The RISC PC will (perhaps) be able to use it.
Thanks for solving the mystery. The FAT partition would not help as I want to copy the complete contents of the ADFS to a device where it can be used on the pi.

MalcVolm

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:09 am

Burngate wrote:If your RiscPC is on the same network as the Pi, you can transfer the files that way - far easier!
Thanks for the suggestion. Alas my RISC PC 600 is virtually as it came out of the factory, so no network card, it's living in total isolation apart from DOS floppies .... But I don't have a way of reading those on any other machine!

dfeugey

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:33 am

Thanks for solving the mystery. The FAT partition would not help as I want to copy the complete contents of the ADFS to a device where it can be used on the pi.
You can zip/spark it. Then no problem...

MalcVolm

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:15 am

dfeugey wrote:
You can zip/spark it. Then no problem...

Hmm ... I am getting s bit confused here! Are you suggesting trying to put a FAT partition onto the original ADFS disc? Zipping the files INTO that and then connecting via USB to the Pi?

THE RISC PC 600 I have has a limited interpretation of the IDE standard .... So I am told, you can't have a master and slave disc .... Just the master.

Burngate

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Just out of interest, there's an old thread you may have missed:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=118851

dfeugey

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:10 am

Hmm ... I am getting s bit confused here! Are you suggesting trying to put a FAT partition onto the original ADFS disc? Zipping the files INTO that and then connecting via USB to the Pi?
No, but you could put a second disc, FAT formatted, on you RISC PC, then copy all data on it. You can have two hard drives on the RISC PC.

MalcVolm

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:26 am

dfeugey wrote:
No, but you could put a second disc, FAT formatted, on you RISC PC, then copy all data on it. You can have two hard drives on the RISC PC.
I realise that you could add a scsi drive or have a second ide disc interface, but those require addition hardware, which I don't have. Am I correct in saying that the original RISC PC 600 ide interface could not support two drives? How Could I connect another drive easily? That could be the answer!

dfeugey

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:57 am

The same way as on a PC...
Just replace the CD drive with a hard drive.

MalcVolm

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 am

Thanks ...... Ah, there is the problem - there is no internal CD drive, so i can't free up an IDE interface connection.
I do have an external CD drive connected via the parallel port, thats only recognised if I run some software to fire up CDfs.

microbits

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:53 pm

The Risc PC IDE port will take two devices running in master slave configuration on one cable ( be careful about the cable not to long), but you do need to check the drive types because some of the early drives Connor i think (been a long time so hard to remember) don't like western digital drives, or vice versa.
You need to try them it will not matter which drive is set to the master as you can set the boot drive in the Cmos using *drive 4/5 to set the boot drive etc you will also have to set the number of drives in Configuration, discs to two before the system will put two drives on to the Icon bar.
Experiment it's the only way that you are going to find out have the system stripped down to bare bones to make it easy.
ps don't forget that drive before Risc OS 4 could not use long file names and only address small drives, it also takes 20 to 30 second to time out if it don't like the drive pairing so might have to wait.

MalcVolm

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:48 am

microbits wrote:The Risc PC IDE port will take two devices running in master slave configuration on one cable ( be careful about the cable not to long), but you do need to check the drive types because some of the early drives Connor i think (been a long time so hard to remember) don't like western digital drives, or vice versa.
You need to try them it will not matter which drive is set to the master as you can set the boot drive in the Cmos using *drive 4/5 to set the boot drive etc you will also have to set the number of drives in Configuration, discs to two before the system will put two drives on to the Icon bar.
Experiment it's the only way that you are going to find out have the system stripped down to bare bones to make it easy.
ps don't forget that drive before Risc OS 4 could not use long file names and only address small drives, it also takes 20 to 30 second to time out if it don't like the drive pairing so might have to wait.

Thanks for that ... It is an early RISC PC. I will have to do some trial and error. Thansk

ahodgekins

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:11 am

Reading this thread with interest as I'm about to retrieve my old A3010 from my parents' loft and would be interested in doing the same thing - assuming that the old 120mb drive in it still works. Hasn't been turned on for about 15yrs I suspect.

From reading other threads and forums one approach that I understand might work is connecting the drive to a Linux PC and taking an image. Should be possible to put that image on a USB stick and read it from the Pi running Risc OS to copy the files across to the SD card. Not clear on the specifics.

biscuity

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 pm

I too am trying to rescue the files from my connor 210mb risc pc600 hard drive. The riscpc motherboard has died now. I have linux and riscos raspberries pi's. an emulator on the pc for riscos. But none of them can access ADFS. Trying to use a IDE/PATA to USB cable.

The linux pi recognises the drive is there, but can not read. The PC recognises it as a usb mass storage device, but can not read either.

I am at a complete loss. Do i have to buy another risc pc and a FAT32 Harddrive to copy these across to usable device?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mzarna

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:33 pm

I have an IDE (I think) drive from a StrongARM RPC installed inside a case (separately powered) with USB output. RISC OS on the Pi reads it quite happily, if rather slowly. I haven't attempted to read it under Linux; I very much doubt if that would work.

Return to “RISCOS”