User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:34 pm

microbits wrote:Step Three
download and install https://sourceforge.net/projects/piwriter/ to your mac then use this to make a SD card for Risc OS please bar in mind that the SD card needs to be 2GB or bigger this it what you will end up with.
I downloaded that PiWriter, but when I open it, nothing really opens (or maybe briefly, to close immediately). But do I really need it? I always formatted the SD cards with de SDformatter, mentioned on the Raspberry Pi help-pages. To copy, I just drag and drop the files on the SD card?
--::--::- 2 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian 9 - Kodi 17 -::--::--

microbits
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:36 pm

sorry this program is only for a Mac users i should have made it more clear use Win32diskimager https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ (for windows users) :D

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:21 am

I am on Mac (you were perfectly clear, no worries)! Yosemite.
--::--::- 2 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian 9 - Kodi 17 -::--::--

dfeugey
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:38 pm
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:37 am

But do I really need it? I always formatted the SD cards with de SDformatter, mentioned on the Raspberry Pi help-pages. To copy, I just drag and drop the files on the SD card?
Yes... for classic files. A disk image must be cloned to a whole disk. This is not a file to be copied on the SD card with the finder.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

Oliverh
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:54 pm

microbits wrote:post if you have any problems if not we will move on to the next lesson.
Although I'm someone else I made it to that point, system starts up and the hourglass is gone. But whatever application I try to start I always end up with something like a freeze, Alt+Break to stop the script error and it's gone - but I'm unable to do anything. Any chane to get this to work? It seems to run pretty fast on the Raspberry 3 so it might be a good alternative since Raspbian is not really a viable option in terms of performance.

microbits
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:09 pm

Sounds like you have not loaded a Zeropain module, right there are two ways to beat the problem,
Step 1
download a fixed Zero page module http://www.heyrick.co.uk/random/zeropain_noexpire.zip
Step2
Open !Boot by holding shift key and double clicking with select navigate to PreDesk folder inside (!Boot/Choices.Boot.PreDesk)
copy the unpacked module here (check to see if there is a folder !!ZeroPain already there if there is put it side overwrite the current module , then reboot to check if the software that you wanted to use works now.
Second way to skin the cat is to install a low vector build of Risc OS that don't need the zeropain module.
Step 1
download low vector build here http://www.svrsig.org/software/Update4.zip to your (Mac OR PC) Then repeat step Six from lesson two (you will notice that the filename is the same as last time, but when you open it it don't have the choices folder this is because Chris the guy that went to all the trouble to package these updates renamed the the high vector build to update3.zip if you need this build here is the new download link http://www.svrsig.org/software/Update3.zip )
Then Reboot
any problems post here but also check out this post https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums ... osts-51543 feel free to ask questions there is always someone willing to help.

Oliverh
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi,
thanks it seems everythings working now. I hadn't installed the Zeropain module before.

Still a little strange because of the totally different way RiscOS works but the performance is so awesome that it's worth learning it from scratch. I remember back in my teenageyears I had a Archimedes 3000. Didn't do much with it back then, internet was widely unknown so access to software was a huge problem.

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:59 pm

microbits wrote:download and install https://sourceforge.net/projects/piwriter/ to your mac then use this to make a SD card for Risc OS please bar in mind that the SD card needs to be 2GB or bigger this it what you will end up with.
PiWriter no longer runs on Yosemite, it's reported a number of times in the comments...
--::--::- 2 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian 9 - Kodi 17 -::--::--

dfeugey
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:38 pm
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:34 am

RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Thanks. I found it here http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ges/mac.md , yesterday, and it worked. Now I'm on the start-up screen with the hourglass. Since I have a Mac keyboard, I don't know which would be the "alt-break" alternative to execute the solution above. Put I ordered a Bluetooth keyboard, not-Mac. Just waiting for it to arrive...
--::--::- 2 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian 9 - Kodi 17 -::--::--

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 pm

microbits wrote:Step one
After you have booted to the desktop and you get to the perpetually filling hourglass, you need to press the ALT and the break key together to terminate the error this will give you a dialog box with the message “Press Stop to terminate unknown” below this message you will see three buttons click with the left mouse button select on stop the button on the right, this will clear the error and allow you to get to the desktop.
I made it to the RiscOS desktop with th perpetually filling and turning hourglass. I now have a non-mac keyboard, so the keys are not different anymore. Although now I realize that "break" is no special key, but the space-bar. I tried alt-break, and in the end alt-everything, control-alt everything, etc. I get no dialog box with the possibility to stop any process. I can only unplug the power to shut down, nothing else seems to work...

Any other keycombinations that could help me out?
--::--::- 2 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian 9 - Kodi 17 -::--::--

microbits
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:01 am

Download http://www.svrsig.org/software/update3.zip this one is a Non ZPP rom so you will not have any problems starting up.
Install it as per instruction in last post
Regards
Rob(Microbits)

BeeryChisels
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi, I'm new-ish to the Pi, and still have a RISC-PC running here too! I've recently bought a Pi 3B+, having used RISC-OS on a Pi 2B for some time now.
The Pi 2B has Raspbian and RISC-OS both on the same micro-SD card, plus a few other things too. This means I can easily boot up in either of them at start-up without having to change the card, thus avoiding wear and tear on the card socket and avoiding possible static damage to the card.

I'd like the same set-up on the Pi 3B+, but having booted from NOOBS, RISC-OS does not appear in the list of selectable operating systems! This despite there being lots of RISC-OS files on the card, and the heavy hints that RISC-OS would run on the Pi 3B+ when I bought it.

I've looked through the entries on this thread, but they are all dated 2016. As it is now 2018, I can't help feeling that all those 2016 entries will have been superseded some time ago. So my question is - how do I install RISC-OS on the Pi 3B+ in a May 2018 manner, and, ideally, how do I do it on the same micro-SD card as Raspbian?

Regards, Chris

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17487
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 am

BeeryChisels wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm
Hi, I'm new-ish to the Pi, and still have a RISC-PC running here too! I've recently bought a Pi 3B+, having used RISC-OS on a Pi 2B for some time now.
The Pi 2B has Raspbian and RISC-OS both on the same micro-SD card, plus a few other things too. This means I can easily boot up in either of them at start-up without having to change the card, thus avoiding wear and tear on the card socket and avoiding possible static damage to the card.

I'd like the same set-up on the Pi 3B+, but having booted from NOOBS, RISC-OS does not appear in the list of selectable operating systems! This despite there being lots of RISC-OS files on the card, and the heavy hints that RISC-OS would run on the Pi 3B+ when I bought it.

I've looked through the entries on this thread, but they are all dated 2016. As it is now 2018, I can't help feeling that all those 2016 entries will have been superseded some time ago. So my question is - how do I install RISC-OS on the Pi 3B+ in a May 2018 manner, and, ideally, how do I do it on the same micro-SD card as Raspbian?

Regards, Chris

Maybe PiNN can be used to undertake ??

viewtopic.php?t=142574
Adieu

handsomegenius
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 am

Re: Trouble installing RISCOS on Pi3

Mon May 21, 2018 4:00 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 am
BeeryChisels wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm
Hi, I'm new-ish to the Pi, and still have a RISC-PC running here too! I've recently bought a Pi 3B+, having used RISC-OS on a Pi 2B for some time now.
The Pi 2B has Raspbian and RISC-OS both on the same micro-SD card, plus a few other things too. This means I can easily boot up in either of them at start-up without having to change the card, thus avoiding wear and tear on the card socket and avoiding possible static damage to the card.

I'd like the same set-up on the Pi 3B+, but having booted from NOOBS, RISC-OS does not appear in the list of selectable operating systems! This despite there being lots of RISC-OS files on the card, and the heavy hints that RISC-OS would run on the Pi 3B+ when I bought it.

I've looked through the entries on this thread, but they are all dated 2016. As it is now 2018, I can't help feeling that all those 2016 entries will have been superseded some time ago. So my question is - how do I install RISC-OS on the Pi 3B+ in a May 2018 manner, and, ideally, how do I do it on the same micro-SD card as Raspbian?

Regards, Chris

Maybe PiNN can be used to undertake ??

viewtopic.php?t=142574
I posted a thread about this the other week: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=213681

When you use either PINN or NOOBS on a later model pi, Risc OS doesn't appear in the menu.

Looking over at the Risc OS Open website, it seem the team over there are aware that this is an issue and are wanting to fix it.

In the meantime, if you can get an image of the right version of Risc OS in a tar.xz format, then it should be possible to install it locally. I hit a roadblock here though, because I wasn't sure how to either find or make such an image.

I ended up deciding it was just easier to buy a cheap sd card.

Hope this helps! :)

Return to “RISCOS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests