DavidS

RPi2 And RISC OS.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:29 am

I got a RPi 2, thanks to dfeugey, three days ago, and I am impressed. I am strongly a RISC OS user, and I prefer ARM assembly or BBC BASIC V for most things, as most already know.

Now, once again, running RISC OS on real HW, I am getting some things done.
The things I am working on for the benefit of RPi and RPi2 RISC OS users are:
  • +A better thought out series of tutorials on programming in ARM assembly for RISC OS, including the use of some ARMv6 and ARMv7 specific features. Will also include GPIO usage.
    +A set of tutorials on programming in BBC BASIC V, including WIMP, GPIO, and a few other more advance things.
    +Figuring out how to enable the other three ARMv7 processor cores on the RPi2 under RISC OS, and writing a module to allow programmers to take advantage of multicore processing where it can be an advantage, including an implementation of simple mutexes.
    +And a few other things planned, and being worked on, though not to mention yet
I am also doing a few things intended to end being of use to all RISC OS users, though these things will not be announced until they are close enough to done.

I must say that the ARMv7 does make a huge difference in the performance of RISC OS, and the software I use.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

dfeugey

Re: RPi2 And RISC OS.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:25 pm

A better thought out series of tutorials on programming in ARM assembly for RISC OS
Good for me :)
A set of tutorials on programming in BBC BASIC V, including WIMP, GPIO, and a few other more advance things
Good for everyone.
Figuring out how to enable the other three ARMv7 processor cores on the RPi2 under RISC OS
Yes, yes and yes. We have the chance to use a bare metal friendly OS (no protection, no software limits). It's really sad that bare metal multicore code is not available under RISC OS. It could be very fun.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

DavidS

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:03 am

Now I only need to get a reliable internet connection. Working on that, should be installed monday (if nothing goes wrong).
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:20 am

Finaly got a good internet connection, actually got a service again. I was using a freinds connection with an 700 meter away WiFi connection, that did not help RISC OS, and was unreliable.

So I am posting this from my Raspberry Pi 2 running RISC OS :).

Now to find out if the utilities for SFTP for RISC OS are up to date enough to support what I need.

heuristicjohn

Sun May 08, 2016 11:58 am

Excellent news that work is ongoing on RISCOS running on RPi 2. Next announcement eagerly awaited !
I have been trying to use the official 7" touchscreen on an RPi 2 under RISCOS. I didn't expect touchscreen support, but I did rather expect a picture; in fact the output always appears on the HDMI connector. (The screen works correctly under Raspbian). Presumably RISCOS doesn't know about the DSI connector ? I have searched for guidance on this without success; I suspect that tweaking config.txt will not sort this out (have tried !).

DavidS

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:38 pm

I will not be doing anything related to touch screens. RISC OS is a desktop OS, and I wish to keep it that way.

==========================================================
==========================================================
I have been delayed by life in getting much done. Though now I again have more time to play, so we will see where things go.

The multi core stuff is more of a chalenge than expected do to the way RISC OS does things with memory (in many areas, more than expected).

Though I am still playing with splitting up the RISC OS module in RISC OS, aka the Kernel. That is something I feel is way behind the curve.

I am thinking that RISC OS 3.8 may be a better starting point in some ways, though I have not yet gotten around to checking out the oldest sources from ROOL to see how much would be needed to get RISC OS 3.8 to run native on the RPi.

========================================================
========================================================
I have also added a project for the developers out there. I am working on a simple Recursive decent C compiler that is intended to be source compatible with Norcroft C on RISC OS, thus allowing people to compile the old sources without worrying about the commercial compiler (please still buy norcroft C from ROOL, it is worth it), something is needed for those that can not afford the high price of 40 pounds.

To this I am also adding a Pascal compiler, Assembler, BASIC V compiler, linker, librarian, and a few other tools.

All of the tools I am working on creating will only deal with AOF, ALF, AIF, Module, and Raw Binary formats. RISC OS is NOT a n*x, so has no place for ELF (we already have a good linking format, and a better executable format).

I do not know how long it will take me to do this, though it is my primary hobby time until done. Other than finnishing up the Assembly tutorials, and tripple checking all for errors (all 255 of them).

Return to “RISCOS”