Burngate

Risc OS set-up

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:55 am

I'm fairly used to Risc OS, but I've a few problems, mainly cosmetic.

I don't like !StrongEd - never have, don't see why I should change. So I want to use !Edit for opening text files, and for shift-double-clicking on anything else.
So, apart from removing !StrongEd totally how can I force it to not use it from get-go? (I've been starting !Edit first, but it's just irritating to have to do that each time!)

Every reboot, !NetSurf starts with the welcome screen. Closing that each time is irritating. I've looked through !boot.choices, and other places, but can't find where it's set up. How do I get rid of it?

Browsing around !Boot I found a folder - sorry, directory - called CJohnson.7bupstats but I don't know what it does. Google is unhelpful. Info would be welcome!

Having made a model A, I tried this alpha image on it, but it just hangs on boot-up. I assume it's trying to find the non-existant ethernet, but is there a way to get round that?
I assume this is a low-priority problem, but when model A gets released, it'd be nice to know someone has thought about it!
To run the model A I'm using a self-powered hub and putting on it the mouse and keyboard, and a USB ethernet dongle.

One final query. I can see the normal Risc OS "partition", but where do I look to see the Fat32 boot partion, with start.elf and config.txt and the rest? I know I'm being silly somewhere, but a pointer to it would help atleast me.

svrsig

Re: Risc OS set-up

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Every reboot, !NetSurf starts with the welcome screen. Closing that each time is irritating. I've looked through !boot.choices, and other places, but can't find where it's set up. How do I get rid of it?
!Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks.Help
One final query. I can see the normal Risc OS "partition", but where do I look to see the Fat32 boot partion, with start.elf and config.txt and the rest? I know I'm being silly somewhere, but a pointer to it would help atleast me.
!Boot.Loader is a DOS image file mapped to the FAT partition. Open it and there you will find these files.

tank

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:51 pm

If !StrongEd is in Apps or Utilities, then move it to Public or some other place that it wont get booted on startup.
!Edit will then take over, unless you open the directory with !StrongEd in.

P.S don't forget !Zap......

Grumpy Mike

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 pm

tank wrote:P.S don't forget !Zap......
Can't get !Zap to work. After moving the !ZapUser file and the fonts file it now says that an application of that handles that type of file has not been seen when I double click !Zap.
Any idea what to do next?

tank

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:48 am

!ZapUser should be in !Boot.Choices and !ZapFonts in !Boot.Resources.
Reboot after they are there and all should be well.

svrsig

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:41 am

Use the 24Jul distro. ZapFonts and ZapUser are already in the right places. Zap itself is in the programming directory and should just run from there. If you like it then add it to Apps.

Burngate

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 am

svrsig wrote:
... !NetSurf starts with the welcome screen...
!Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks.Help.
Thanx!
svrsig wrote:
... Fat32 boot partion, ...
!Boot.Loader is a DOS image file mapped to the FAT partition. Open it and there you will find these files.
Again, Thanx!
Obvious when you know!
tank wrote:If !StrongEd is in Apps or Utilities, then move it to Public or some other place that it wont get booted on startup.
!Edit will then take over, unless you open the directory with !StrongEd in.

P.S don't forget !Zap......
Yes, or what I've done - rename it to x!StrongEd.
I'd love to know why !StrongEd takes over [email protected] FFF when !Edit has already been booted (being earlier in the alphabet), but I suppose I'll have to live with not knowing!

As for !7Backup, I've now found it in the obvious place, and rather like.
And the model A is progressing slowly

Thanxs to all, again

sawdust

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

Burngate wrote: Yes, or what I've done - rename it to x!StrongEd.
I'd love to know why !StrongEd takes over [email protected] FFF when !Edit has already been booted (being earlier in the alphabet), but I suppose I'll have to live with not knowing!
!StrongEd claims the file type run variable because it is filer booted after !Edit. I suspect if you opened a filer window containing !StrongEd it might still be able to claim the run action despite your renaming of it.

Much better to just move it to where it won't get seen.

Sawdust.

Burngate

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:41 pm

sawdust wrote:
Burngate wrote: Yes, or what I've done - rename it to x!StrongEd.
!StrongEd claims the file type run variable because it is filer booted after !Edit. I suspect if you opened a filer window containing !StrongEd it might still be able to claim the run action despite your renaming of it.

Much better to just move it to where it won't get seen.

Sawdust.
I was under the impression that the idea is to only claim something like this if it hasn't already been claimed - something like
If "<[email protected]_FFF>" = "" Then set ....

As for moving it, when I've done that in the past, and then decided to reverse it, I've spent hours trying to find where I've put it.
Renaming it so that it doesn't start with a pling means that even if you open the folder, the obey-file isn't run, so nothing should happen - you have to double-click the !run (or !boot) file, but you can if you want to be perverse ("I'm going to do something even though I don't like doing it, just to show myself how much it hurts")

EDIT I've just tried my theory.
If after a reboot I open a textfile, it opens in !Edit. Having done so, if I then run $.Apps.x!StrongEd.!run, !strongEd runs but textfiles open in !Edit.
If after a reboot I run $.Apps.x!StrongEd.!run, then open a textfile, it does so in !strongEd.
So !Edit doesn't try to claim the [email protected] until it actually runs, rather than when it boots, while !StrongEd tries to claim it when it boots.
Last edited by Burngate on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy Mike

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:54 pm

tank wrote:!ZapUser should be in !Boot.Choices and !ZapFonts in !Boot.Resources.
Reboot after they are there and all should be well.
Did that but it wouldn't work.

Anyway I found my problem. I decompressed the download on my Mac and it got the file type of the Obey files wrong. By decompressing under RISC OS all went well.

SEDev

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 pm

I was under the impression that the idea is to only claim something like this if it hasn't already been claimed - something like
If "<[email protected]_FFF>" = "" Then set ....
Yes, that's how it should be done but unfortunately Edit uses a macro, rather than a plain variable, which means that the above causes an error. The choice was therefore to not claim text files at all, or to forcibly claim them. As not claiming them seemed a bit silly for a text editor ...
If after a reboot I open a textfile, it opens in !Edit. Having done so, if I then run $.Apps.x!StrongEd.!run, !strongEd runs but textfiles open in !Edit.
This is standard RISC OS behaviour, files will first be offered to running applications. If none of them claim the file then the [email protected] for that filetype will be tried.
So !Edit doesn't try to claim the [email protected] until it actually runs, rather than when it boots, while !StrongEd tries to claim it when it boots.
No, both claim it, forcibly, when booted.

Burngate

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 am

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks.

Return to “RISCOS”