Phil Spiegel

Re: RISC OS on Raspberry Pi

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:19 pm

If you use the VIdeo Out mode (ie no HDMI cable connected) when starting up the RISCOS image (I'm using the on from about a week ago, with Netsurf etc) then you get a rescaled version of the 1080 screen - and its 480i in NTSC (3.58MHz subcarrier)

In !Edit <Menu> >> Display will allow a larger font size to be used for display within the program
Althougn the System Font can be changed via !boot > Fonts > it cannot be enlarged

For now ignore the claimed resolution / monitor selection in Boot as it shows 800 x 600

strawberrytau

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Can anyone give me basic instructions on how to edit and RUN a BASIC programme on this?

:-D

strawberrytau

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm

If only I'd kept all the BASIC programmes I wrote in the early 80s (when I was a wee boy)….

0117blocky

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:50 pm

From memory.
Select SD card on task bar
open utils Folder
Select !MultiTask program which should then appear on taskbar
then mouse over icon and click for menu to appear and there is a basic edit option select that. Click on that and a basic edit window should appear.

Please bare in mind I've only just had a quick look at this alpha release.

0117blocky

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Auto 10,10 will give you automatic line numbering.
Type a few basic lines.
type in RUN
CLS clear basic window
NEW will erase program.
HELP should help you:)

strawberrytau

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:23 pm

That worked a treat blocky! Thanks for the tips, but BASIC is like riding a bike. I'm ENDPROCing like the best already. :-)

0117blocky

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Glad I could help. You are right Basic is a lot like riding a bike.

svrsig

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:51 pm

How to .. BASIC ... Select !MultiTask program which should then appear on taskbar
Drag a BASIC file from a directory viewer onto the !MultiTask icon on the icon bar and it (i) sets the current directory to where the BASIC file came from and (ii) drops you into BASIC with the file loaded. The 'edit' option unfortunately only works on 26 bit systems as it uses the BASIC EDIT command which loaded the ARMbe editor. !Edit works after a fashion. !Zap is best for editing BASIC..

So says the author of !MultiTask...

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:56 pm

really RISCOS newbie quetion.

how many buttons did the mouse have in RISCOS as the mouse (trackpad) i'm using only seems to do something on left click, right click and corded don't do anything although i saw in the docs that there is supposed to be more that you can do than just left click.

also F12 opens a window at the bottom of the screen and scrolls the desktop up but i can't seem to return to the desktop which I believe is supposed to be doen by pressing F12 again. is that the case?

strawberrytau

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:19 pm

ukscone - that really is a newbie question!! One of the distinguishing features of RISC OS is its heavy use of the three-button mouse. Indeed much of my very first IT class at secondary school was devoted to learning how to use the three buttons.

"Select-menu-option" was what we had to memorise, if I remember right!

In short, the middle button is essential to access the menus in any app.

Edit: Sorry - it was 'Select', 'Menu' and 'Adjust'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:27 pm

strawberrytau wrote:ukscone - that really is a newbie question!! One of the distinguishing features of RISC OS is its heavy use of the three-button mouse. Indeed much of my very first IT class at secondary school was devoted to learning how to use the three buttons.

"Select-menu-option" was what we had to memorise, if I remember right!

In short, the middle button is essential to access the menus in any app.

Edit: Sorry - it was 'Select', 'Menu' and 'Adjust'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
well i left school & college before riscos was a twinkle in acorn's eye and never actually had a mouse until 2003 or RISCOS before so i'm learning from the very beginning.

i had heard good things about riscos over the years which is why I want it on the raspi

strawberrytau

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 pm

RISC OS was a great OS (way ahead of its time in many respects) but sadly never managed to export itself beyond this sceptred isle and died a parochial death.

If the RPi brings it back to life - well, that would be really really good!

0117blocky

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:54 am

@Phil Speigel.
Thanks for the video tips but didn't get any improvements.

trevj

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:05 am

ukscone wrote:also F12 opens a window at the bottom of the screen and scrolls the desktop up but i can't seem to return to the desktop which I believe is supposed to be doen by pressing F12 again. is that the case?
You've probably figured this out by now. Just press enter on a blank line (if you're at the CLI '*' prompt). If you've typed BASIC and are at the '>' prompt, type QUIT to return to the CLI.

For CLI commands while using the Desktop (and also BASIC, although less useful, as you can't use the entire screen or different modes) use a Taskwindow (Ctrl-F12).

recantha

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 am

Does anyone know if you can run Zarch on the RiscOS port for RPi?
Just wondered as it's probably the first thing everyone did when they got their Archimedes computers and it'd be lovely to recreate that experience!

--
Mike
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

svrsig

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Does anyone know if you can run Zarch on the RiscOS port for RPi?
I understand that Zarch/Lander was written in machine code and so would not run on the latest ARM chips. Several changes took place over the years - the ARM3 split data and instruction caches, then the 26bit PC mode disappeared, then with the ARM7 some instructions (like STRB) were changed so that byte accesses had to be word aligned. It could be ported but it would be a lot of work.

jonv

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 pm

To save me having to hunt down back issues of Acorn User magazine does anyone remember if it possible to develop programs the use the RISC OS gui using BBC Basic?

theom

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Yes, in fact lots of software is written that way. You can either use the raw SWIs (various sources of documentation available, including the Programmers' Reference Manuals, the incomplete ROOL wiki or a few books), or a library such as DrWimp.

Ibanezjem

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 pm

jonv wrote:To save me having to hunt down back issues of Acorn User magazine does anyone remember if it possible to develop programs the use the RISC OS gui using BBC Basic?
For help in creating windows, there is !WinEd.
If you want bit control of the GPIO pins then the GPIO module will let you control all 17 pins and the OK LED bit by bit. I've not tried anything else yet, like I2C or SPI.
If you're using the latest Distro, 16th July as I write this, then on the Welcome window, under Useful Links there is Free Software. Both !WinEd and the GPIO module should be there, Plus !Zap and !StrongED text editors. Try both and see what you prefer.

Martin Hansen

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:21 am

Hi Folks,
I’ve just put up a tutorial on piLEARN:
“How to put RISC OS on the Raspberry Pi : A step by step tutorial”
I used a MacBook Pro to write the SD card image to the SD card.
http://www.pilearn.com/Pages/Page1001.html
With best wishes,
Martin

mudcruzr

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm

OK, there's one thing missing in the instructions for applying AlphaUp - you must change the file type from "Data" to "zip", then it will open OK.

Alan

(At least that's what I had to do)

Sandgrounder

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 am

Good morning, folks.

New here, so hope I am posting in the right place. :oops:

I have copied the Alpha 13 July image on to a Transend 4G SDHC Card and powered up with HDMI TV, mouse and keyboard attached.

The TV shows the usual Risc OS boot screen, but then says "No Keyboard - Autobooting" and hangs with the Risc OS hourglass on the screen. I can move the hour glass with the mouse, but that is all. The same Keyboard and Mouse work with Linux on the Raspberry Pi.

I have searched here and elsewhere - but not found anything to enable me to progress. What am I missing, please.

If it helps, this is how I created the bootable Risc OS image using only the Rasberry Pi (and a spare 4 Gig USB Memory Stick)

Step 1 - Boot up the standard Debian Linux from the supplied Raspberry Pi SDHC card.
Step 2 - Plug in a 4 Gig USB memory stick and mount it - standard Linux mount
Step 3 - Download the Alpha Image to the empty space on the 4Gig memory stick
Step 4 - Plug in a USB adapter with a second SDHC card plugged into that.
Step 5 - Copy the image to the second card - sudo dd if="RISCOS_Alpha_13Jul2012.img" of=/dev/sdb
Step 6 - Shutdown Linux, Change SDHC cards and Power up.

microbitsuk

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:25 am

Did you plug in a network cable???? if not just hit the escape then you will get to the desktop.
you can then set a network address if required.

Sandgrounder

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:32 am

microbitsuk wrote:Did you plug in a network cable???? if not just hit the escape then you will get to the desktop.
you can then set a network address if required.
Magic - Thank You - It is now working fine.

although, why the absence of a network cable gives a "No keyboard present" message, confuses me.

The rest of the text on the boot screen is a bit small on my TV (and for my eyes).

Faster than I was expecting :)

Sandgrounder

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 am

Now that I have got Risc OS running on my Raspberry Pi, I have tried some of my favorite software.

The biggest problem, so far, is that the SocketFS module by Roger Gammans (Aug 1997) does not work. This is very useful for sending short messages between a number of Risc OS computers. It works on an original Acorn Risc PC (Risc OS 3.6, 3.7 and upgraded to 4.01) and on Virtual Acorn (also 4.01).

Return to “RISCOS”