0117blocky

Re: RISC OS on Raspberry Pi

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:52 pm

I now have a desktop resolution of 1024,768 which is great. All I did was select a monitor option.
Which someone else did on the rool forum thanks.

sawdust

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 pm

0117blocky wrote:I now have a desktop resolution of 1024,768 which is great. All I did was select a monitor option.
Which someone else did on the rool forum thanks.
Glad to hear you are sorted :D

Sawdust.

gm3eiy

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 am

Many Linux distros fail to "see" a ps2 device on a usb adaptor is sees is a s a ps2 device that cant communicate with it
Mike

xChris wrote:I have too problems with USB keyboard (in fact its a PS2 kbd on a ps2->USB adaptor) on *any* Linux distro I used on RPi (the USB adaptor is even connected to a 2.5A powered hub).

I thought its a problem with the RPi, but I don't have such issues running RISCOS (the main OS of my RPi)

darkcity

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:58 pm

/Off Topic
squat251 wrote:See the thing that has continually stunted my growth in unix/linux systems (ubuntu, kubuntu, debian, and a couple of others) has been the whole download/install thing. What I mean by that (since I'm sure its sooo clear) is that having used a windows OS for every computer except the powermac's we had when I was in elementary school I am used to downloading stuff from a website, unraring (or zipping) it and double clicking on it. All the linux OS's I have used are more difficult to do that with.

I like the application downloader in ubuntu and debian, but it often doesn't have something I am looking for, and doesn't support all the other user created stuff. But admittedly I never had anyone who was fluent in these systems to show me what to do, and its a lot harder to figure out solo than windows was.

The only tutorials I seem unable to read through, btw, are the ones for linux systems.

I find Puppy Linux to be easier and more similar to Windows. It has PET packages which you download and install by clicking on them. Also it runs by default as 'root', and doesn't have a login screen - so no need to 'sudo' everything and permission problems. There's a link under my name if your interested.

----

Anyway, back on topic looking forward to trying Risc on Pi - what previous RiscOS machine would you the Rpi is equivalent to speed wise?

BrokenFrog

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:10 pm

I'd say it feels faster than the Iyonix. Not as fast as a BeagleBoard or a PandaBoard. Has the USB bottlenecks to contend with, but still feels faster with the latest development ROMs.

Actual scientific tests may prove me wrong, but I'm going on feelings.

YMMV.

ewlie

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi Folks

Have any of you run RISCOS of a 1gb SD card?

I thought I'd ask before I spend too much time trying.

Also, any ideas how I can get files off of my ancient RISC PC? no ethernet, no usb... Floppy, i dont have one on my PC, CD? not on the Acorn.

John

NigelJK

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

OK I have my R Pi (horray!) running on Risc OS (even better).

I've run a quick test on the code I wrote to learn programming the UI (a desktop game called !Cypher for any members of the old Arcade BBS, dated February 1992) and it functioned perfectly - so well done the back room boys for that. I'll try and find out how to get a new section in the Programming section of the site for BBCBasic under Risc OS started and get it loaded up.

Does anyone know how to get the full use of the 8Gb card I have, the .img is only 2 Gb and that's all I can see under RiscOS?

NigelJK

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:26 pm

To get my copy of !Cypher off my Risc PC (and some other Goodies - coming soon I hope) I used method 1.

You have to Zip everything up first - you will lose a lot of information if you just copy to a DOS disc.

Either:

Copy the contents to your floppy onto a DOS disc and beg/borrow/steal a PC with a floppy on it copy send to yourself via email.

Or:

Connect 2 machines with serial ports using a null modem and dig out the software to transfer the files.

0117blocky

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 pm

I've been just playing with the latest update and a thumbs up with removing the artifacts from the desktop plus the mouse pointer moves all the way to the left now.

Burngate

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 am

ewlie wrote: Also, any ideas how I can get files off of my ancient RISC PC? no ethernet, no usb... Floppy, i dont have one on my PC, CD? not on the Acorn.
I'm not sure it would work but ...
Could you take the drive out of the RISC PC and put it in a USB-IDE case? Would the Pi see it?

I'd try it myself, but my Risc PC is on 24/7 doing other things.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 am

Most practical way would be to use a serial connection, with a file transfer protocol like kermit or z-modem, very old school but it works.

BrokenFrog

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 am

Also, any ideas how I can get files off of my ancient RISC PC? no ethernet, no usb... Floppy, i dont have one on my PC, CD? not on the Acorn.
I installed a CF-IDE adaptor on the IDE cable (in place of the CDROM drive) in the RiscPC and copied all the files onto a filecore-formatted Compact Flash card. I then used a Compact Flash-USB card reader to read it all on my BeagleBoard running RISC OS. I can't see why this wouldn't work on a Raspberry Pi.

Ibanezjem

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:53 pm

I used the Acorn>zip file>DOS1.44Mb floppy>USB floppy drive>PC>USB Memory stick>RPi>unzip file route and it does work, but takes ages!
Eventually networked StrongARM Risc PC running RiscOS4 and RPi. So much easier, but only if you have network card.
I did try the board from an old external hard drive a while a go and it was a bit hit and miss with IDE CD/DVD drives. Some worked and some didn't. I was eventually reading AcornUser discs successfully. Unfortunately, a lot of the software on them does need attention before it will run on 32 bit.
Just plugged in the original harddrive from my Risc PC 600 running under RiscOS3.5 into the USB-IDE board above and it works fine on the RPi.
Make sure you have external power and are not trying to power it from the RPi.

Burngate

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Ibanezjem wrote:Just plugged in the original harddrive from my Risc PC 600 running under RiscOS3.5 into the USB-IDE board above and it works fine on the RPi.
Make sure you have external power and are not trying to power it from the RPi.
Great! Glad to know I was right (I'm often not)

JollyRoger

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am

NigelJK asked: Does anyone know how to get the full use of the 8Gb card I have, the .img is only 2 Gb and that's all I can see under RiscOS?

You can use gparted for this on a Windows machine. Very good instructions for this are in an old edition of the Magpi, Issue 2 (I think) pages 8 and 9. You need to download gparted onto a CD, and boot your Windows machine with this.

NigelJK

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks I'll check that out.

On another note, I got my old project up and running last night. The project was to have been a full blown IDE (Integrated Development Environment), most of it seems to be working and judging by my ToDo list inside the project there were only a few bits to fix for it to work fully. There was a number of 'nice to have' things to be written (like a menu editor, menu building itself is already defined and seems to be working ), but the main 'build' routine seems to be 95% of the way there. It fell over last night, but I think that's to do with it expecting ADFS .

I have to say that this is a sophisticated piece of software, entirely written in BBCBasic and must call pretty much every WIMP Swi, so the implementation must be nearly 100%.

Not got any sound working yet, although Maestro starts up and loads a music file. System beep doesn't work either.

No sign of Acorn replay, so I'm going to try and lift a version from my RiscPC.

IIRC e14 (is it me or was that the forerunner to our very own Element 14?) held the rights to the 'moving line' patents/copywrite after Acorn passed away.

Vanfanel

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi guys,

Is it possible to run old Acorn Archimedes games/demos on the Raspberry Pi by now? I know there's ArcEm, an Acorn Archimedes emulator wich is SLOW and has a lot of tearing in games since it doesn't respect vsync at all, making smooth-scrollin games/demos very ugly compared to the real system. I don't even know if it works on the Pi, nor am I interested on this software.

But maybe sometning like Aemulor can do the magic... Does Aemulor work on the Pi? I'm talking about the free version recently released. How well does it work? Any other alternatives?

Old Archimedes software on the Pi would make it an INCREDIBLE computer!

BrokenFrog

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Vanfanel wrote:Hi guys,

Is it possible to run old Acorn Archimedes games/demos on the Raspberry Pi by now? I know there's ArcEm, an Acorn Archimedes emulator wich is SLOW and has a lot of tearing in games since it doesn't respect vsync at all, making smooth-scrollin games/demos very ugly compared to the real system. I don't even know if it works on the Pi, nor am I interested on this software.
Jeffrey Lee, I believe, recently developed a version of ArcEm called AcornMode for the ARMini and BeagleBoard Support Scheme which was intended to allow games to run, including my favourite Cannon Fodder. Maybe he's developing a version for the Pi, or maybe R-Comp are planning a Pi Support Scheme similar to the BeagleBoard and the PandaBoard ones.
But maybe something like Aemulor can do the magic... Does Aemulor work on the Pi? I'm talking about the free version recently released. How well does it work? Any other alternatives?
Aemulor doesn't work on the Pi, as it's for a different processor, but there was some discussion on the IconBar forums, I think, about him developing a cheap version for the Pi. How this would help in terms of games and peculiar screen modes, I'm not sure.

Vanfanel

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm

I know AcornMode, as I'm a lifetime member of the Pandaland scheme, wich I regret because I didn't get a single thing justifying the price.
AcornMode contains a standard version of ArcEm in wich EVERY game scroll works VERY wrong. Just look at Cannon Fodder mission presentations, or the ingame scrolling when you move around the map: it's tearing and jerkyness everywhere. And Jeffrey won't fix it, as he's not interested. Crappy software, that's all.

Well, I hope Aemulor is out for the Raspberry Pi someday. Until then, I'll keep using Gentoo Linux on it I believe. It's way lighter and faster anyway.

svrsig

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:43 am

Well, I hope Aemulor is out for the Raspberry Pi someday.
It should be very soon. Meanwhile here is a book to show how to get RISC OS started on the Pi:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/hall-christoph ... 16059.html

ewlie

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:26 am

I have a 1Gb SD card hanging around and I wondered if RISCOS could be fitted onto it. The distribution says 2Gb, but there really should be plenty of room. My entire RPC HD was only 200Mb...

Has anyone tried?

John

ewlie

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi Havent tried the 1Gb yes, but I wanted to congratulate the writers / porters of the RiscOS image.

I put it on a 8Gb stick, and it fired up straight away no issues. This was my first test of RPi.

Thanks, great work :D

NigelJK

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Finally got my 8Gb card being used properly/

I've not given this a full shake down but here's what I did DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK:

write the image as usual.
Plug in a usb pen drive (mine was .5Gb, but it could be a lot less)
start the Pi up.
If you can see the pen drive then copy the entire contents of sdfs to it. You may need to !Hform it first, just use the defaults.
using !Hform from the pen drive !Hform the SD Card. You will be told that it's the wrong shape. Answer Yes to the reshape question, then keep to the defaults. Initialising is enough.
Copy everything back from the pen drive.
Plug the sd card back into the machine you used to write the image (In my case a Windows laptop)
Recover the fat partition (I used MiniTools Partition Wizard Home), which was quite painless.

Card will now boot in the Pi, and show the size !HForm'd earlier.

svrsig

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Recover the fat partition
The SD card image (which is 2Gbytes in size) has been carefully prepared so that the 'HForm' image has partition tables that protect it from other systems. Your method will produce an unprotected RISC OS partition with a FAT partition placed according to the previous partition table (HForm does not write a partition table) so that RISC OS and FAT will write to the same area overwriting each other.

Do not do this.

NigelJK

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 am

I was going to give the card a proper going over tonight, one of the first tests being writing to the Risc OS 'partition'.
I thought that the Risc OS 'tweak' to overlap the FAT partition was intentional (so that you can 'see' the partition from Risc OS)?

I'm not intending to write to the boot partition.

Return to “RISCOS”