BBC Basic?

Tue May 12, 2015 11:27 pm

I have RISC OS running on my Rasp Pi 2 B. Is BBC Basic installed as part of the OS? If it is what do I do to access it? I thought I had it when I started StrongED in BASIC mode but it would not let me run even the simplest Print command. What am I missing in what to do? Thanks!

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: BBC Basic?

Wed May 13, 2015 12:53 am

... boot it, try pressing f12 key... then type *basic

Remeber commands are UPPER CASE letters... PRINT
marcus
:ugeek:

Wed May 13, 2015 4:30 am

Thank you. Yes, that opened a thin cosole across the bottom of the screen, but the txt was so small I could barely read it. It also locked up and would not let me back to the (desktop) pinboard even when hitting entercwith no text. I had to pull the plug to get out of it.

I did find a mode on Strong that allowed me to program in BASIC and that is working.

Thanks again.

Steve Drain

Wed May 13, 2015 9:42 am

Here are some suggestions.

If you have a BASIC program written in StrongED's BASIC mode, you can run it by clicking Select (the left mouse button) on the 'Running man' icon at the top of the window. This will run the program in a single-tasking Command window in the centre of the screen[1], but this cannot display graphics etc. Alternatively, click Adjust and the program will run in a multi-tasking Task window, but the same limitations apply.

If you run the !Help application, found in the Apps folder, you will see some useful information when you hover the pointer over icons and menus.

You might also save [2] the program and double click on the file icon. This will run most likely run the program in a Command window. [3]

[1] You could find youself exiting the program into the BASIC command line (>). In that case type QUIT and Enter to get back to the desktop.

[2] Press F3, or choose the Save item on the StrongED menu. Give the file a name and drag the file icon to a directory view.

[3] Put the line

Code: Select all

MODE MODE
at the start of your program and it will exit the desktop to full screen, where you can do graphics, but this is not a ideal solution.

Return to “RISCOS”