ralphiehee

using the keymap module in risc

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:21 pm

Hello
I'm a real beginner with the raspberry pi. I was getting it all up and running tonight and then realised I didn't have an F12 key on my keyboard. I've downloaded the keymap module into into !Boot.Resources.!System.350.Modules .

However, I don't understand the next step. Apparently I should add an obey file to load it in !Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk containing (for example):

keymap 2 12
keymap 10 15
to map F2 to represent F12 and F10 to represent the Break key.

What does 'add an obey file' mean? how do I do that?
Thanks.

Burngate

Re: using the keymap module in risc

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 am

An obey file is merely a file containing text, with a filetype "obey"

Under RISC OS, all files have a filetype (that's saved alongside things such as its name in the filing system) that consists of three hexadecimal numbers.
It's used by the operating system to decide what to do when you double-click on it.

So a "text" file has type FFF, a "jpeg" has type C85, and an "obey" file type FEB
A jpeg will be opened in a picture-viewer, while a text file will be opened in an editor. An obey file will be obeyed!

You can find out what a particular file is by middle-clicking on it and going to "info".
To change it, middle-click and go to "set type", and type in "obey"
You can get strange results if you for example change a jpeg to text!

So create a text file with those instructions in it, save it, and change its type to "obey"
If you want to read it or change it, hold down shift while double-clicking, and it'll open in a text editor.

ralphiehee

Re: using the keymap module in risc

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll give that a go.

Return to “RISCOS”