scruss

Re: RISC OS now under the Apache 2.0 Licence

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:28 am

hippy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 pm
n67 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm
It's the sort of thing that is well-liked by the sort of people who like this sort of thing.
I think that's a pretty good synopsis and probably applies to anything which isn't considered ubiquitous or mainstream.
It's a classic damning with faint praise. RISC OS is definitely an acquired taste: cooperative multitasking and the very weirdest GUI you may ever experience.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

DavidS

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:48 am

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 pm
DavidS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:17 pm

RISC OS is usable for programming, desktop publishing/ word processing, graphics editing, video editing, simulation, some gaming, browsing the web (without JS or video), and just about anything else so long as there is a program to do the job.

You said video editing, how well does that perform on a Pi? What about screen recording?
Very well indeed. Video editing was very heavily done on Acorn RISC PC systems running RISC OS all over the world, those systems did not have any HW graphics acceleration, and they were running nothing more than a StrongARM at 200MHz at best. The Raspberry Pi is many times more powerful.

As to screen recording, I have no clue, I do not see a use for such so never done it.

Kind of odd to ask of an OS that is new to you, and you do not even know what applications you are going to be using on it are.

As to video editing, most of the software is a bit older (some newer stuff as well) so for some things you will need to have Aemulator installed.
The Raspberry Pi is an ARM computer, that runs many Operating Systems, including Linux, RISC OS, BSD, Pi64, CP/M as well as many more.
Soon to add AROS to the list of operating systems.

DavidS

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 am

hippy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:09 am
DavidS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 pm
(the middle button is hidden under the scroll wheel
chocolate wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:36 pm
You can use a mouse wheel as a button. I think most USB mice should work.
I rarely use the scroll wheel so had forgotten all about that button. And, yes, it does work. Many thanks. Though I'm sure that's going to drive me nuts! Maybe it's time to get down to Poundland and rewire a mouse.

But I must say I'm impressed. Quick booting, very responsive on a 3B, I can read my web pages served by other PC's and access t'internet. I quite like the GUI. If I can figure out how to do what I want, and if it can do it, you might have won a convert.
If you have any questions on where to look for what you are attempting to do, please post a thread asking. Hopefully either someone or myself will see it and be able to provide a decent answer as to how to do what you wish.

There are still a few applications where RISC OS has some catching up to do, though they are very minor things.
The Raspberry Pi is an ARM computer, that runs many Operating Systems, including Linux, RISC OS, BSD, Pi64, CP/M as well as many more.

hippy

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:47 pm

DavidS wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 am
If you have any questions on where to look for what you are attempting to do, please post a thread asking.
Thanks. Looking back it definitely was QEMU I used to try RISC OS. This the first time I have used it on an actual Pi. So I have got a bit of catching up on things; "What does that mean?", "And how exactly do I do that?", basic knowledge. I'll do some surfing and see what buffers I hit. It's time to read through this forum section which I had ignored in the past.

RISC OS is different, with its own learning curve, but perhaps not too different to PiCore, DietPi, Buildroot, LFS, Ultibo, NARD, Android, Android Things, Win 10 IoT, or anything else, with no prior experience of those. Apart from the mouse button annoyance, nothing has had me cussing it or lining it up for an early wiping.

I am usually looking at options to do specific things rather than looking for the 'ultimate desktop solution'. What it is, how it works, and how one does something, is often secondary to does it suit what I want and how easy it is to do it.

I would say it's definitely worth giving RISC OS a spin if one has a spare SD Card and a few minutes to spare. Again; the biggest and best advantage of the Pi is one can try anything, instantly junk it if one doesn't like it, and easily get back to where one was and comfortable with merely by swapping an SD Card. And sometimes one finds gems they may not have previous appreciated existed.

Fidelius

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:31 pm

RISC OS now being open-source is good news.

Qjimbo

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Funny how my last post on this forum was me lamenting how RISC OS being shared source was holding it back, really unexpected to see it finally be fully open sourced properly and I think it's great news for the platform. It is no longer a "dead end" where contributors are essentially working for a project where the rights stay with a private company, it can now be more like Haiku. Hopefully it's just not too late!

DavidS

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Qjimbo wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 pm
Funny how my last post on this forum was me lamenting how RISC OS being shared source was holding it back, really unexpected to see it finally be fully open sourced properly and I think it's great news for the platform. It is no longer a "dead end" where contributors are essentially working for a project where the rights stay with a private company, it can now be more like Haiku. Hopefully it's just not too late!
Definitely not to late. I think that there are more ongoing RISC OS users than there were BeOS users when Haiku OS started. And we have all of the original source, Haiku did not have that from BeOS.

RISC OS has a bright future, as it has a bright past. I do not know of many comercial OS's that have remained this popular this long.

Return to “RISCOS”