Tirpitz

Enigma Simulator

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm

If you are interested in Enigma machine, cryptography or history of WWII, I found out one interesting thing. Enigma Simulator for RISC OS exists. It is free of charge.
Homepage of program: http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/enig ... riscos.htm
Program was already successfully tested on BeagleBoard, A9home and some classic RISC PCs. I have tested today it could be run on our Raspberry Pi.

stoooo

Re: Enigma Simulator

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Has anyone successfully run the RiscOS Enigma simulator on a Raspberry Pi 2?

Last year, while my youngest was studying WWII, we ran the Enigma sim quite happily in RiscOS on our RPi Model B. Much fun was had as we exchanged messages around the class using simulators on the RPi, Android tablets and Windows PCs. Now my eldest has an Enigma based project at school to combine maths and language. However, while I keep my RPi2 hooked up most of the time, the older RPi sits on the shelf, looking glum and feeling neglected. As much as I would love to let it out to play from time to time, using the RPi2 would be much easier. I have RiscOS running on the RPi2 just fine, but when I launch the Enigma sim it throws an error. I realise this is a very niche program, but I was just wondering if anyone else is running it on an RPi2, and if so, did you have to do anything special to make it work?

Thanks.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:07 pm

There's an Enigma simulator (runs on Raspbian not RiscOS) in http://www.themagpi.com/issue/issue-25/ you may be able to steal borrow the code from that and re-write it in RiscOS BASIC.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

JdavidSM

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:16 pm

This runs fine on my Pi B running RC14, but installing the ConfiX utility from the same site seems to have turned my Pi into an Ionix, altering the start up splash and replacing the raspberry icon with the Ionix version! So far everything still seems to work as before, but it's certainly disconcerting behavior.

stoooo

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Dougie, thanks for the suggestion, but the RISC OS Enigma Simulator is already brilliant at what it does, and runs just fine on my old RPi B. I don't need to reinvent the wheel to run the sim, as I can just bust out the old RPi B for the time being.

Jdavid, I have it working great on my RPi B. I built a RISC OS SD card just to run the Enigma Simulator, so it is the only application I have used in any serious way on that platform. As such, the sim is the only software that has made use of ConfiX that I am aware of, so I really can't offer any helpful advice about your Ionix issues.

I never got around to buying a B+ before the RPi2 came out, so I don't know if the Enigma sim does or doesn't work on the B+. It's just a little frustrating that with all the talk of compatibility between the old B/B+ and the new RPi2, the first application I needed to run in anger on the RPi2 didn't work :(

JdavidSM

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:30 pm

My face is red on this one. :oops: I was fooling around with the regular config menu and must have changed the theme setting inadvertently. In addition to changing the look of the window furniture, changing themes also changes the system icon.

stoooo

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:36 pm

That's great, you solved your problem. And now *I* know that there is a theme changing feature in RISC OS, and I need to be careful with it :D

Still no further forward with getting the Enigma sim running in RISC OS on the RPi2, though. I wonder if there is a feature that would fool RISC OS into thinking there's only one CPU core. Or if there's some sort of compatibility mode switch in the boot time config file. That sounds like something worth investigating. I think I'll look into that tomorrow.

tank

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:04 am

stoooo wrote: Still no further forward with getting the Enigma sim running in RISC OS on the RPi2, though. I wonder if there is a feature that would fool RISC OS into thinking there's only one CPU core. Or if there's some sort of compatibility mode switch in the boot time config file. That sounds like something worth investigating. I think I'll look into that tomorrow.
I have just tried !Enigma on my Pi2, and as you say it crashes, but if you go into configure (double-click on !Boot) and there should be an option for "CPU" click on this and then set the "CPU compatibility mode" to "ARMv7 fast mode....". Click "OK" and it will now run (well it does on mine anyway)...

BernardUK

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:43 pm

stoooo: Could I suggest emailing info@cryptomuseum.com and/or enigma@xat.nl with a query as to whether Paul Reuvers could be persuaded to look at the issue of running his RISC OS Enigma emulation (which is, indeed, extremely good) on an RPi2?

talm

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:34 pm

The Enigma simulator in TheMagpie was a simplified version.
Inspired by the article I wrote a new version using three wheels
and the reflector. The tech info ws taken from Simon Sing: The Code Book
and Hodges: The Enigma of a Genius (Alan Turing biography).
Here is a link the the Python 2.7 source.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oil4v6parkds ... A2.py?dl=0

Torbjörn Alm
Computer hacker for 50 years.

georgelza

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 am

Excuse the NOOB question, never worked on RiscOS before, and feeling very list,

How do I install this? How do I set my IP, can I ssh to the machine, default password = "password" ?

G
Tirpitz wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm
If you are interested in Enigma machine, cryptography or history of WWII, I found out one interesting thing. Enigma Simulator for RISC OS exists. It is free of charge.
Homepage of program: http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/enig ... riscos.htm
Program was already successfully tested on BeagleBoard, A9home and some classic RISC PCs. I have tested today it could be run on our Raspberry Pi.

dfeugey

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 am

How do I install this?
Classic: a disk image to write on a µSD card.
https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi
How do I set my IP
Use the configuration utility (double click on !Boot)... or simply let the DHCP do its job.
can I ssh to the machine, default password = "password" ?
No. RISC OS is a desktop OS. There is no SSH server.
But there is a VNC server if you want :)
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

georgelza

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:20 am

thanks

G

georgelza

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:21 am

I meant how do I install the App.

G
dfeugey wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 am
How do I install this?
Classic: a disk image to write on a µSD card.
https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi

dfeugey

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 am

Easy.
Decompress the archive where you want. And use the app directly.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

Return to “RISCOS”