danrulz98

What can I do with RISCOS?

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:43 am

So I see RiscOS in the options there, and I played with it a little (it's weird man, coming from a Windows/Linux perspective).
But aside from having a decently fast web browsing experience... what can I do?

The RiscOS Wiki basically goes into "here's how to write a text document. Here's how to browse the web" and then it just kinda ends the getting started guide there.

I've poked around Google for a while seeing if I could find any cool projects that anyone's done with RiscOS, but I'm not seeing a whole lot.

So asking as someone who is TOTALLY unfamiliar with RiscOS: What fun is there to be had? What are some cool resources for this system? What have people done with this (on the Pi specifically)?

DavidS

Re: What can I do with RISCOS?

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:44 am

danrulz98 wrote:So I see RiscOS in the options there, and I played with it a little (it's weird man, coming from a Windows/Linux perspective).

The RiscOS Wiki basically goes into "here's how to write a text document. Here's how to browse the web" and then it just kinda ends the getting started guide there.

I've poked around Google for a while seeing if I could find any cool projects that anyone's done with RiscOS, but I'm not seeing a whole lot.

So asking as someone who is TOTALLY unfamiliar with RiscOS: What fun is there to be had? What are some cool resources for this system? What have people done with this (on the Pi specifically)?
A lot if you search around on google you will find a bunch of RISC OS projects, that are ARMv7 compatible, and some that are ARMv8 compatible. There are also many that are specific to the RPi.

Another good place to look is the ROOL web site (the orginazition that maintains RISC OS). Especially the ARMv7 software compatibility page:
https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documen ... ity%20list

There is much much more.

If you want to begin programming on the RPi there are two books in PDF on the SD Card that are good to learn from. Not remembering the exact names at the moment, though the first one teaches the use of BBC BASIC V (which is built into RISC OS), the second one teaches how to write programs for the WIMP (what RISC OS calls its GUI/Windowing System). While these books focus on using BASIC, once you have done it in BBC BASIC it makes an easy transition to other programming languages, as you are making system calls for many things in BASIC.

RISC OS is another OS, with the ability to do just about anything any other OS can. It is just a matter of either finding the program you want, or porting it, or writing it (the same as any OS).

I hope this at least partially answers your questions.
ARM BASIC: For the love of Simplicity, Fast Interpreted BASIC, and Assembly Language.
Always KISS Keep It Simple Silly.

Pyjamarama

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:50 am

I succedeed in having RiscOS on my Pi3 even with problems.

The thing I wanted to do with RiscOS is to use the BBC V Basic.

I cannot find from where to launch its IDE

I press the F12 and I only get a tiny-non friendly cli window at the bottom which I cannot set to fullscreen or to something bigger to be usable.

Any help appreciated.

rpiMike

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:31 am

SEDev

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Pyjamarama wrote:The thing I wanted to do with RiscOS is to use the BBC V Basic.

I press the F12 and I only get a tiny-non friendly cli window at the bottom which I cannot set to fullscreen or to something bigger to be usable.
The CLI window will get bigger when more output is produced. For example try *Modules to get all list of the modules that are currently running.

If you want to use BBC BASIC, type *basic to enter BASIC mode. The environment is very primitive though but for very simple proglets it might suffice.

You can make things a bit more comfortable by using the BasicEdit module which provides a full screen editor, but still quite primitive (IMO).

These days the best way to edit BASIC programs is to use a text editor such as Edit, StrongED or Zap. They can be used on the Desktop and provide many more features than the CLI or the BasicEdit module.

dfeugey

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Since there are several thousand applications... a lot of things.
There is no LibreOffice, but decent tools for DTP, networking, coding, playing, etc.
And even some correct web browsers.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

DavidS

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:37 pm

Pyjamarama wrote:I succedeed in having RiscOS on my Pi3 even with problems.

The thing I wanted to do with RiscOS is to use the BBC V Basic.

Any help appreciated.
Well to write BBC BASIC programs just use StrongED, and use the menu option to create a BASIC file, then once saved you can double click on the icon of the saved file and it will run. About as easy as it gets.
ARM BASIC: For the love of Simplicity, Fast Interpreted BASIC, and Assembly Language.

nublol

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:06 am

I'm here for almost same question.
I'm long term Linux user, over a decade as my main operating system. I have experience of compiling from source, but no interest to develop software. Now i start to get tired to Linux and i'm looking for less mainstream alternatives.

I understand use of RISC OS to old risc os users and their projects, but for person that haven't ever used it, Is there any point to make it as main os for desktop use? Does it have any software that can be used to "daily basics" like modern web browser (no flash/java ofc) that i need for my online banking.

DavidS

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:34 pm

nublol wrote:I'm here for almost same question.
I'm long term Linux user, over a decade as my main operating system. I have experience of compiling from source, but no interest to develop software. Now i start to get tired to Linux and i'm looking for less mainstream alternatives.

I understand use of RISC OS to old risc os users and their projects, but for person that haven't ever used it, Is there any point to make it as main os for desktop use? Does it have any software that can be used to "daily basics" like modern web browser (no flash/java ofc) that i need for my online banking.
As everyones needs are different that is a difficult question to answer.

Let me begin by recommending CHriss Hall's site, it contains good information especialy for people new to RISC OS. See:
http://www.svrsig.org/HowTo.htm

Short Answer:
Just about anything. word Processing, Programming, Picture Editing, playing with GPIO to control other things, video processing, Text Editing, Web Browsing, E-Mail, FTP, Playing Games (many many games), Emulating other systems (a few emulators available), 3D stuff, etc, etc, etc.

The majority of what you can on other OS's, and a few things unique to RISC OS.

The only limit is the available software, and this is constantly being added to. The more people interested in RISC OS, the more software development likely to take place, and thus the more new software likely to come into existance for RISC OS.

Speed
RISC OS is a small tightly written OS designed specificaly to run on the ARM CPU, you could say it is an ARM OS. As such a lot of things are quite fast in RISC OS. Also the main availabel Web Browser is NetSurf, so it is quite fast, though missing some features that some poeple want.

To be complete, RISC OS only uses a single core, as do most applications on RISC OS, and so far RISC OS does not take advantage of the VideoCore IV GPU (Though there are a few projects that run on RISC OS that do use the GPU, and a few applications that manualy use extra cores).

Size:
RISC OS is prety small. The core OS is all in a ROM image that is 4MB or less, and the on Disk portion of the os is no more than a couple hundred MB, leaving plenty of space for other applications and data.

Video Playing:
You can NOT stream videos from the net.

Though you can play many video files verry well, using the available multimedia programs for RISC OS. Even though they use Software rendering these applications do a very good job as they are designed to work well on a lot lower speck HW than the RPi.

Programming
I know you are not so interested in programming, though if you wish to try simple small projects, RISC OS is very easy to program for in C/C++ (with GCC), Charm, ARM BASIC, ARM Assembly, or a number of other Languages.

Internet:
While there are limits of the currently available internet software for RISC OS, RISC OS is still great for basic internet usage. That is information based browsing, downloading/uploading files, FTP, POP, IMAP SMPT, IRC, ICQ, GOFOR, etc, etc.

So far you can not stream movies, or things like that. And to use JS heavy sites requires using a slow web browser (Otter or Qupzilla), admittedly slow do to running on only one core.

Though for 99% of Web based stuff NetSurf fits the bill, and is what I am typing this from.

Gaming:
There are many games ported to RISC OS, including a Hardware Accellerated Quake port using VideoCore IV accelleration via Khronos.

The number of games is emence, though more of the kind of games that realy grab your mind and keep you playing for a while. That is not as many of the games that rely on there graphics to compensate for lack of game play (though we have some of those as well).

NOTE ON THE LEARNING CURVE COMPARED TO OTHERS:
RISC OS does a lot of things in a way that is different from most other OS's of today. I feel it is easier to use once you get accustomed to it, though if you are accustomed to Linux, Windows, Mac OS, etc there is a bit of a learning curve, and it may take a few to get accustomed to.

RISC OS uses the midle mouse button for all menus, everywhere. It also usees drag and drop more completely than any other OS you have likely ever used.

In RISC OS drag and drop realy does make things faster to do, unlike others. The implementation of Drag and Drop in RISC OS is so easy, and it makes it easier to do big tasks with a lot of small programs than it is to use a mega application on the other systems.

RISC OS also allows any window to have input focus, not just the top most window, so you can type in a window that is partly behind other windows, as I am doing at this moment. This can be very convient if looking at some reference while typing in some program, allowing the reference to be in front.

IN SUM:
If you do not mind the limits of NetSurf, and do not mind taking the time to learn an OS that is different than what you have used in the past, RISC OS can be a reasonable option. Keep in mind though it is different than the others, to the point of making Windows, Linux, and Mac OS look like they are versions of the same.

There are many advantages of RISC OS.

The main dissadvantage is the lack of developers, so somewhat limited availability of newer software.

In the end it is your decision.

I would recommend giving RISC OS a real chance, that is use it for a few weeks, learn the quirks and differences, realy get accustomed to it, and ask questions, see if it can do what you need it to. Those of us that use RISC OS are more than happy to answer your questions, and point you in the dirrection of how to do what you want.

DavidS

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:34 pm

As to your question on online banking:

That depends on the banks requirments. More than likely it will need a browser with better JS than NetSurf. It is likely that QupZilla will do the job, though I can not be sure.

It is likely that you will be able to do what you ask.

Steve RM

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Take a look at my website http://www.markerdesign.be
I'm a self implooid Industrial designer. So there forea desktop user. All what you see on my webside has been made using RISCOS! I use nothing alse... only FireFox on my Mac. And even there I have RISCOS virtually installed on my MacBook Pro.

I use RISCOS for my bookkeeping, CAD and CAM work, CNC in my workshop, Vectordrawings, Photogaphical work, Moddeling, Websedigning, Mail, Scanning Large format Printing, Laser cutting, 3D printing, and so on.

Most programs are, small, fast, verry stable, cheap or free, compattible, easy to maintain.

Hope this helps a bit, Steve

Ronaldlees

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:33 am

Steve RM wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:16 pm
Take a look at my website http://www.markerdesign.be
I'm a self implooid Industrial designer. So there forea desktop user. All what you see on my webside has been made using RISCOS! I use nothing alse... only FireFox on my Mac. And even there I have RISCOS virtually installed on my MacBook Pro.

I use RISCOS for my bookkeeping, CAD and CAM work, CNC in my workshop, Vectordrawings, Photogaphical work, Moddeling, Websedigning, Mail, Scanning Large format Printing, Laser cutting, 3D printing, and so on.

Most programs are, small, fast, verry stable, cheap or free, compattible, easy to maintain.

Hope this helps a bit, Steve
What 3d printing programs are you using for 1) Drawing/STL generation 2) Slicing 3) Printer control? I'd love to do some of that on RISCOS.

My latest "nice thing to do with RISCOS" is to use it to read my GPS puck for lat/lon mapping activities. The RC15 image and some of the guys software (gotten thru user links on the riscosopen forum) - finally got my USB serial going to do the GPS.
I am The Umbrella Man

Return to “RISCOS”