Superdecade

RISCOS freezing

Fri May 12, 2017 5:32 am

My RPi 2 keeps freezing when running RISCOS for about an hour at a time. The RISOC OS 5.21 version was installed with Noobs 2.4.0. I have tried replacing the mouse and keyboard in case it was an I/O problem. I have tried replacing the SD card and reflashing with RISCOS again. I have even swapped the Raspberry Pi 2 for a second previously unused Raspberry Pi 2.
None of these steps have prevented the device(s) from freezing.
Any ideas appreciated as I am not sure what to try next.

fruitoftheloom

Re: RISCOS freezing

Fri May 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Superdecade wrote:My RPi 2 keeps freezing when running RISCOS for about an hour at a time. The RISOC OS 5.21 version was installed with Noobs 2.4.0. I have tried replacing the mouse and keyboard in case it was an I/O problem. I have tried replacing the SD card and reflashing with RISCOS again. I have even swapped the Raspberry Pi 2 for a second previously unused Raspberry Pi 2.
None of these steps have prevented the device(s) from freezing.
Any ideas appreciated as I am not sure what to try next.
Many issues are caused by the Power Supply not being up to providing steady power.

By the way have you tried the latest RiscOS 20th April 2017 release without using NoobS ?

https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi

https://www.riscosopen.org/news/article ... 15-out-now
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Superdecade

Fri May 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Ah ha. That could be it as I am having to power this Pi through a usb hub as the other power supply is used for my other Pi. I'll try and get another supply and try the new OS this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

dfeugey

Sat May 13, 2017 6:01 am

If you use it, try not to load anymode, and see if it makes any difference.
When loaded, my Pi crashes after 1-8 hours (it depends).

And of course, as it's very old, don't use the RISC OS version provided with Noobs.
RC14 or RC15 only.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

DavidS

Sat May 20, 2017 8:11 pm

To echo:
You definitely want a newer version of RISC OS.

And if you are powering the RPi 2B from a hub, power is very likely to be a source of trouble.
ARM BASIC: For the love of Simplicity, Fast Interpreted BASIC, and Assembly Language.
Always KISS Keep It Simple Silly.

Superdecade

Mon May 22, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks all for help. I have replaced power supply and machine has been behaving itself for over a week now.

Return to “RISCOS”