alwanbi

any gentoo users out there?

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Hello, This section of the forum is pretty quiet!
How many others here are experimenting with Gentoo on the Raspberry Pi?
I am interested in hearing from other Gentoo users in our forum.
What is everybody up to?
I have used Gentoo off and on during the last two years, however in light of the systemd push, which I elected to boycott, I now have my Raspberry Pi anchored to Gentoo only. 8-)

Alan Jones
Alan Jones

jbowler

Re: any gentoo users out there?

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:12 pm

I have gentoo running on both a B (OpenRC, no graphics, running as my DNS service) and a B+ (systemd, gnome, just as a play/test system.)

The 3.6.12 kernel did not work for the latter; there seems to be a bug in the OOM handling which means it never pages, it just kills. As a result building gnome is impossible. 3.6.17 is fine; after I swapped to it I was able to complete the gnome builds without furhter problems.

I do use distcc for builds on both platforms; without that builds just take too long.

I also run Gentoo with OpenRC and KDE on a CompuLab Utilite; that's a quad processor armv7a system with a lot of RAM and it doesn't need distcc, although I use it there too as I have a fast x86_64 cross compilation system.

John Bowler

jbowler

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:37 pm

I meant 3.12 and 3.17 in my previous post, not 3.6.12/3.6.17

alwanbi

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think that there were no "real" gentoo users out there. I am running 3.12.32 kernel here and I have xfce4 as my windows manager. I tried to use distcc here but so far I am having no luck. Can you explain to me how to properly set it up on the pi and another pc? I also have gentoo installed on my laptop and a vb gentoo running on my Win 8.1 pc.

Alan Jones
Alan Jones

rafaelmartins

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43 pm

hi there,

gentoo dev here :)

I'm still experimenting with the rpi, but I think that the most viable alternative is building binpkgs in your main computer with crossdev and installing them in the rpi through local network

[]'s

jbowler

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:58 am

alwanbi wrote:I am running 3.12.32 kernel here and I have xfce4 as my windows manager. I tried to use distcc here but so far I am having no luck. Can you explain to me how to properly set it up on the pi and another pc? I also have gentoo installed on my laptop and a vb gentoo running on my Win 8.1 pc.
Well, it took a while to respond possibly because I hadn't checked the 'notify me' box below; the other bb I commonly use does this automagically.

I used distcc for both my RPi Gentoo systems (a 256MByte B with no GUI and a 512MByte B+ with Gnome). distcc isn't necessary for the former; it can run Gentoo all by itself, but when I watned a GUI on the B+ I found it was necessary to add distcc because, otherwise, compilations take much too long.

Cross-distcc has improved a lot in the last few months (i.e. since you posted the question :-(, I reported a couple of bugs on it and I think helped unblock release (i.e. unmasking) of a new revision that works better. The latest (probably ~) distcc installs its own cross wrappers, so the various instructions on the Gentoo wiki are somewhat circumvented and, unfortunately, damaged because "emerge distcc" now overwrites the wrappers in /usr/lib/distcc/bin.

My compile server is a moderately powerful pure x86_64 Gentoo system. I think that may make things a lot easier for me than you. I do use Win 8.1 (I'm typing this in to a Win 8.1 machine) but I've never tried to use it for Gentoo as well - the Gentoo box has a separate screen to my right and a honking great bent steel box below to match (the Windows machine is much cooler.)

All the same, I ended up writing my own wrapper script that, these days, I store in /usr/lib/distcc and call /usr/lib/distcc/wrapper:

#!/bin/bash
B="armv6j-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi"
V="4.8.3"
C="${0:0-2}"
exec "/usr/lib/distcc/bin/$B-g$C-$V" "$@"

(4.8.3 will likely change in the very near future to 4.8.4). That script is linked (hard link) to /usr/lib/distcc/bin/gcc and so on, the expansion of the exec line refers to a link to /usr/bin/distcc.

As of this moment (I emerge on a daily basis [non-Gentoo readers please ignore that parenthetical comment; you just won't understand]) that setup has worked for me.

I believe it is a requirement to resolve the GCC versioning issue; GCC does not maintain binary compatibility between minor releases so you can't use a server GCC with just a minor revision to compile to your local system, you have to have a nominally identical compiler on the compile server. (I.e. the full version number of the compiler on the compile server has to be totally identical to that on the system you are compiling for - the target system - use "gcc-config -l" to check.) This means that there is more work involved than the current automatic distcc cross installation might imply, but I think the wrapper above does the right thing just so long as the compile server has something that satisfies the requirements.

Meanwhile, don't expect webkit-gtk to compile, ever. It's just too big and nasty; I've only been able to get it to merge once.

Return to “Gentoo”