Chymera

Gentoo for the Raspberry Pi - Overview

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi there, while installing Gentoo for my Pi I noticed how there's a lot of confusion, and many (good) alternatives around how exactly you should proceed with the installation.

I compiled a shortish guide of the most popular ways of installing Gentoo on the RPi (including links to tutorials by me or by others), and wrote up some pros and cons of each Gentoo installation method. I'd be happy to hear your feedback, and perhaps you can point it out if I have missed something or some newer installation method pops up (maybe an automated qemu script? ^^).

Anyway, long story short: here is the overview article.

Enjoy!
RPi and Gentoo user. Check out my overview article on Gentoo for the RPi: http://tutorials.chymera.eu/blog/2014/05/21/gentoo-for-the-raspberry-pi/

riklaunim

Re: Gentoo for the Raspberry Pi - Overview

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I would say the the key disadvantage is the compilation time. I used Gentoo on Intel Core 2 Duo and AMD Turion and even on those bigger updates weren't that fast to compile.

Chymera

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:58 am

True, that is generally the down-side of source based distributions, and also the reason why I generally recommend installing via a stage 4 tarball (otherwise you either have to cross compile or copy the sources for the WiFi/Ethernet software over USB to your Pi before you can connect, and then compile some).

Depending on how many and what libraries you need and how often you have to update, compilation time may not be that big an issue after your initial install. I myself use a lot of python libraries, and save for some of the lapack packages many do not require any compilation at all (the files just get copied, meaning it's as fast as binary distributions, only you get live packages instead of nightyl/weekly binaries) ^^.
RPi and Gentoo user. Check out my overview article on Gentoo for the RPi: http://tutorials.chymera.eu/blog/2014/05/21/gentoo-for-the-raspberry-pi/

jjackowski

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Here is another option for speeding updates: distcc. I have found a cross compiling distcc setup to not be all that time consuming, save for waiting on crossdev to build things. It avoids emulators by letting a Raspberry Pi control the build, but lets me use an AMD64 system to assist. I was originally using NFS for all the build directories, but that proved slower than storage local to the Raspberry Pi and has resulted in build errors ever since the AMD64 server was running a kernel newer than 3.6.11.

Using cross compiling distcc, the Raspberry Pi must preprocess all source files. A non-cross compiling setup running on several Raspberry Pis with similar software can allow distcc to distribute the preprocessing tasks. I forget what terms the distcc people used for these configurations, but I think it involved the word pump.

tchiwam

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:53 am

I have 3 RPi here and I make all the use flags the same and create binary pkgs, then I also use distcc with crossdev. Few packages like cairo don't like distcc but most are OK.

We have to be very careful if you update gcc !!! so gcc should be compile without distcc !! and right after the new gcc is installed you have to update all distcc gcc versions to match if not hell will break loose.

So far all my PI are running 1Ghz so it's not that painful.

Only sad thing is I am still unable to compile webkit-gtk in order to get epiphany going.

Return to “Gentoo”