jannis

Re: Gentoo Linux

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 am

Don't use gentoo-sources, it misses needed patches. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=raspberry+pi+kernel

Setting up a cross-compiler for gentoo:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gentoo+cross+compiler

Using distcc with it:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gentoo+distcc+cros ... ling+guide

xevilstar

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:22 pm

does anyone know where are the patches so i can see if those still apply to the new kernel ?

jannis

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 pm

There are no patches, there's "only" the github-repository:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux
and a fork that uses a slightly newer kernel:
https://github.com/bootc/linux/tree/rpi-3.2.23

I once tried to get the patches out from the repo and apply them to 3.3 and failed.

Is there any reason why you need 3.5.0 and can't live with 3.2?

xevilstar

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:13 pm

since i updated the system (and that included glibc and binutils) and it is best practice to recompile the kernel after something like that, and since every new kernel version is also a bugfix of the older one (and has more support for more stuff too), i would prefer to be free to build a kernel version than to have it "decided from above" :) it would be nice to have an ebuild like gentoo-sources called raspberry-sources too :)

torsti76

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:53 pm

xevilstar wrote:it would be nice to have an ebuild like gentoo-sources called raspberry-sources too :)
So, why don't you just go ahead and create one? Gentoo's ebuild system is very well documented...

fatalpi

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:28 am

I've been enjoying the time savings with these images, thanks. Although been working on a few tweaks for myself and saving them.

I'm having a weird problem though, it seems that every time I mount /boot it will fail to boot after that. No errors or anything, just a pure black screen (managed to find a hdmi cable etc).

At first I thought it was because I changed start.elf with the 224 ram version, so I had to start from scratch. But its happened to me again and I didn't change the ram at all, only mounted /boot.

I started again with the most basic 2G, v1.1. The only thing I did was mount /boot and cp the arm224_start.elf over start.elf and it wont boot.

Anyone else? or any ideas?

edit: ive just mounted /boot from scratch and restarted and it was fine. So ive had a problem changing ram and another unidentified issue - is this indicative of the SD card corrupting?

BlueKnight

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 am

jannis wrote:That way of cross-compiling won't work. You can't chroot into an ARM-system an a x86/x86_64 system because you cannot execute ARM-binaries on that host.
The way to go is to setup a cross-compiler on your x86/x86_64 system (easy with crossdev) and then use distcc for cross-compiling:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
Jannis, can you post your wrapper script. I tried this and it did not work as I was getting errors.

jannis

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 am

BlueKnight wrote:
jannis wrote:That way of cross-compiling won't work. You can't chroot into an ARM-system an a x86/x86_64 system because you cannot execute ARM-binaries on that host.
The way to go is to setup a cross-compiler on your x86/x86_64 system (easy with crossdev) and then use distcc for cross-compiling:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
Jannis, can you post your wrapper script. I tried this and it did not work as I was getting errors.
I'm at university right now and my home-computer is off but I'll post it as soon as I get home. Basically it really is just the stuff found at the URL modified for the RPi (instead of the SPARC-one they give as example).
What errors do you get? Are you using the same versions of gcc on your RPi and on the cross-compiling machine?

BlueKnight

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:52 am

Yes .... I have been successful using distcc pump the compiles are very fast. Accept when it does not call the name because when I modifed the wrapper distcc stopped working all together.

jannis

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Ah, the wrapper-script! Sorry it took so long. I had in my mind that the wrapper is on the machines doing the actual compilation (my desktop or laptop) but in reality the wrapper-script is on the RPi. And I didn't have it at home since I gave it to a friend. Now it's back and here's the wrapper-magic:

Code: Select all

rpi-dev bin # pwd
/usr/lib/distcc/bin
rpi-dev bin # ls -lha
total 12K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Aug 29 01:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K May 16 19:17 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   15 Aug 29 01:12 armv6j-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-c++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   15 Aug 29 01:12 armv6j-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-g++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   15 Aug 29 01:12 armv6j-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-gcc -> /usr/bin/distcc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   85 May 16 19:28 armv6j-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-wrapper
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   15 Aug 29 01:12 c++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   15 Aug 29 01:12 cc -> /usr/bin/distcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   15 Aug 29 01:12 g++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   15 Aug 29 01:12 gcc -> /usr/bin/distcc
rpi-dev bin # cat armv6j-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-wrapper
#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/lib/distcc/bin/armv6j-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-g${0:$[-2]} "[email protected]"
rpi-dev bin #

jcloth

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 pm

I don't understand what I'm doing different than everyone else.

I downloaded ....
- win32diskimager-binary
- Gentoo-armv6J_hardfp_base-2012-05-13V1-1
- Gentoo-armv6J_hardfp_X11Server V1.0 20120515 8GB.img
- gentoo-minimal

....and imaged an 8GB SDHC card with all of these images but I don't get any video, yet everyone else seems to be like "thanks man, works perfectly"

I know the card works because I can use berryboot-20121230 on the same 8GB SDHC and it loads perfectly normal.

I want to stick with Gentoo but I don't have a physical machine on Gentoo with a card reader to be able to create the image manually.

How is it that others are having success with these images and I am not?

lude

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 pm

jcloth wrote:I don't understand what I'm doing different than everyone else.
....and imaged an 8GB SDHC card with all of these images but I don't get any video, yet everyone else seems to be like "thanks man, works perfectly"

I know the card works because I can use berryboot-20121230 on the same 8GB SDHC and it loads perfectly normal.

I want to stick with Gentoo but I don't have a physical machine on Gentoo with a card reader to be able to create the image manually.

A shot in the dark would say that berryboot has some video related kernel options set that the gentoo images you're using don't.

Why don't you grab virtualbox or something, and run a gentoo instance on whatever box you're using to image the cards, and poke around?

jcloth

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:38 pm

lude wrote:
jcloth wrote:I don't understand what I'm doing different than everyone else.

A shot in the dark would say that berryboot has some video related kernel options set that the gentoo images you're using don't.

Why don't you grab virtualbox or something, and run a gentoo instance on whatever box you're using to image the cards, and poke around?

I run gentoo in vmware but it wasn't reading my USB devices. It magically started working so I was finally able to build my own image.

GEN84

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 am

Hello there,

I did my sdcard preparation on vmware gentoo sys by adding sdcard from windows as additional hard drive to gentoo system on my vmware and it worked without any problems :)
If You don't make any mistakes, probably You do nothing :-)

Return to “Gentoo”