sakaki

Re: Gentoo Demouser password

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:06 pm

haaldemir wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm
I will install ony gentoo. 1.5.3 another card and instali and test it and share with yoou after..
OK great, thank you. When trying again on the new v1.5.3 image, please do not edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf this time, just work with the graphical (panel) switcher (xfce-extra/xfce4-xkb-plugin), and layouts in Applications -> Settings -> Keyboard, Layout, as described.

Best, sakaki

haaldemir

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi Sakaki,

I installed only gentoo 1.5.3 and add Keyboard setting as you described keyboard Flag on corner. And yes Turkish working also restrart. So is there way reinstalling gento again on my 64 gb card without touch rasbian and libreelec? Is this problem installing from 1.5.2 to 1.5.3

Also check Turkish flag on Behavior Manage layout : Per application default. I did not change. only add your link to install keyboard.

I did not test lock screen. I will test after your comment. Default password now

Thanks

sakaki

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Hopefully, there is no problem per se upgrading from a v1.5.2 image to v1.5.3, but it is possible some config file got e.g. overwritten along the way (via dispatch-conf) leading to the issue you experienced.

Please make sure that you have "Manage layout: globally" set for the xfce4-xkb-plugin (the flag-icon panel plugin), and then yes, you can try using the screen lock (I assume this is the X screensaver lock?) to see if the password works.

In the meantime, if you used PINN I believe that yes, you can just re-install one OS on your card, leaving the others untouched, but please double check this with procount first - you can post a query on the main PINN thread (he usually responds quickly).

Best, sakaki

haaldemir

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am

Hi Sakaki

New gento64 (only gentoo sdcard for test) I chanced setting globally then i try to change password with passwd but i can't

Code: Select all

demouser@pi64 ~ $ passwd
Changing password for demouser.
Current password: 
passwd: Authentication failure
passwd: password unchanged
demouser@pi64 ~ $ passwd
Current password: 
demouser@pi64 ~ $ passwd
Current password: 
demouser@pi64 ~ $ 
Password is still origin on this setup "raspberrypi64" Turkish working very well this setup. It doesnot accept raspberrypi64 so i did not test lock screen.

Best, Hakan

sakaki

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 am

OK, so I have tried this, and think I understand what is happening.

With the Turkish keyboard (flag) selected, try typing "raspberrypi64" in a terminal. You'll see that the "i" in this text is not the same as in the UK/US charset. That is why the (old) password is not accepted.

To fix, try adding the UK layout, via the Applications -> Settings -> Keyboard, Layout dialog, below the Turkish one. Then, click on the flag icon in the panel bar to change to the UK layout (the flag should change). With that done, change password (via passwd) in a terminal (you should find it accepts "raspberrypi64" now as the existing p/w). Change it to e.g. "gentoo64", which seems to map OK on both UK and Turkish layouts. Click the flag again to revert to the Turkish layout (flag).

With that done, try locking the screen. Does it work now?

If successful, you can change your password to whatever you wish (using passwd) under the Turkish layout (and even delete the UK layout from the Applications -> Settings -> Keyboard, Layout list if required, since it should no longer be required).

hth, sakaki

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Turkish keyboards have their i without a dot in the normal place between u & o. The i with the dot is elsewhere. I spent a week working at a Turkish bank using the backspace key to re-enter the corrected i and found it incredibly frustrating.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

haaldemir

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 pm
Turkish keyboards have their i without a dot in the normal place between u & o. The i with the dot is elsewhere. I spent a week working at a Turkish bank using the backspace key to re-enter the corrected i and found it incredibly frustrating.

Yes but we have double ı and i

and keyboard we use here

haaldemir

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi Sakaki

when i push keybaord i in terminal

demouser@pi64 ~ $ iiiiiiiiiiiiiii
bash: iiiiiiiiiiiiiii: command not found
demouser@pi64 ~ $ iiiiiiiiiiii
bash: iiiiiiiiiiii: command not found
demouser@pi64 ~ $ 

when i push ı on keyboard in terminal

demouser@pi64 ~ $ ıııııııııııı
bash: ıııııııııııı: command not found
demouser@pi64 ~ $ ııııııııııı
bash: ııııııııııı: command not found
demouser@pi64 ~ $ ııııııı
bash: ııııııı: command not found
demouser@pi64 ~ $ 

So i always use iiiii on passwords

On Rasbian no problem

Thanks

haaldemir

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Hi Sakaki
now accepted unbeliable

demouser@pi64 ~ $ passwd
Current password: 
New password: 
Retype new password: 
passwd: password updated successfully
demouser@pi64 ~ $ 
Then i am tested lock screen password is "gentoo64" again not aceept Authantication failure on there is also no Turkish characters on this password. Also check changing password (to test )in terminal password accepted.

demouser@pi64 ~ $ passwd
Current password: 
New password: 

password is correct so its allow to change it.( I didnot changed) still "gentoo64"

Also i check log out and it accept and i, come back desktop

Thanks

sakaki

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:51 pm

It seems that others have had similar problems with keyboard layouts and XScreenSaver, see e.g.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6877 and
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=644534

One quick thing you could try, select Applications -> Settings -> Keyboard, Layout dialog again, and choose "Win+Space" under the "Change layout option" dropdown. Make sure you have both "Turkish" (top) and "English (UK)" (bottom) layouts present. Close the dialog.

You should now find you can toggle between the layout 'flags' by pressing Win+Space on your keyboard.

Now lock the screen. Try your password in XScreenSaver. If it fails, press Win+Space to cycle the keyboard layout (there's no visible indication for this in the screensaver, unfortunately), and try entering the password again. Any luck now?

Sorry this is proving such a drawn out thing to fix ><

Best, sakaki

haaldemir

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 am

Hi Sakaki

I did but not success again. Turkish top and English UK down on keyboard setting Win + Space pushed several times but i cant reach again desktop. Ok waiting to resolve this issue. ctrl alt del (hand habit from windows )

I try to test one thing. I have english keyboard Rii

I removed Turkish from keyboard settings. Only stay English Uk. I have seen English flag on right corner and test it first terminal password is "gentoo64"

demouser@pi64 ~ $ passwd
Current password: 
New password: 
Password unchanged
New password: 
Password unchanged
New password: 

Terminal accepted that code (password not changed. So test lock screen again. Unfortunately not accept again. So i believe not related Turkish keyboard. Hard reset again. I will try to not use lock screen

Thanks

sakaki

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am

This is quite strange then. Obviously working from a copy of the same v1.5.3, with (now) the same keyboard layout, and (presumably) a copy of essentially the same RPi board, you should not be getting a different result with the lock screen from me... I must have tried this over 50 times now with variants of layout, changed and unchanged demouser password, etc., generally without issue.

Are your keyboards wired or wireless?

If any other user of the image is reading this thread, does the X screensaver lock work for you (i.e., if you use Demo User -> Lock Screen, can you then unlock it again successfully)?

Best, sakaki

haaldemir

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 am

Hi Sakaki

wireless both have usb dongle 2.4 ghz

Thanks

haaldemir

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Sakaki,

I installed new Gento64. Setting up Turkish flag as your described. Setting up flag corner Turkish flag. Turkish very well working.

I just check we look before /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection
(Turkish characters şşçççççııııı very well vorking

When i change to tr , turkish gone.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"