crocket

Does Raspberry Pi 3 B+ support UASP?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 am

Once I regarded raspberry pi as an extension of router, Raspberry Pi suddenly made sense. As long as I don't put any non-replaceable data on Raspberry Pi, I will be fine. I protect any non-replceable data with ZFS mirror and ECC RAM.

Now, I want a more durable storage than a microSD card. An SSD can last significantly longer with periodic TRIM.

JMS578 supports TRIM and SMART. smartmontools supports JMS578. Linux kernel may not support TRIM for JMS578, yet.

I read that UASP requires support from USB controller. Does the USB 2.0 controller of Raspberry Pi 3 B+ support UASP?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Does Raspberry Pi 3 B+ support UASP?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 am

crocket wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 am
Once I regarded raspberry pi as an extension of router, Raspberry Pi suddenly made sense. As long as I don't put any non-replaceable data on Raspberry Pi, I will be fine. I protect any non-replceable data with ZFS mirror and ECC RAM.

Now, I want a more durable storage than a microSD card. An SSD can last significantly longer with periodic TRIM.

JMS578 supports TRIM and SMART. smartmontools supports JMS578. Linux kernel may not support TRIM for JMS578, yet.

I read that UASP requires support from USB controller. Does the USB 2.0 controller of Raspberry Pi 3 B+ support UASP?

I could be wrong but believe UASP requires USB3.x which no RPi / CM have.......

...also VC4 was designed long before UASP was created !

Considering your other posts you appear to be seeking a solution which is not viable for your utopian dream.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

crocket

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:21 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

...also VC4 was designed long before UASP was created !

Considering your other posts you appear to be seeking a solution which is not viable for your utopian dream.
It seems that TRIM has negligible effects on SSD lifespan unless it is nearly full. So, it's ok to use any decent externally powered USB to SATA converter.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI, USB 2.0 also supports UASP.
Last edited by crocket on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:26 pm

crocket,

How many threads are you going to start on this same topic?
Once I regarded raspberry pi as an extension of router,...
The Pi makes a very poor router. The network interfaces are too slow and there are too few of them.
I protect any non-replceable data with ZFS mirror and ECC RAM.
I presume you mean not on a Pi. The Pi has no ECC memory. Not sure why you mention it here.

JMS578 is a USB 3 device.

Really you are wasting your time with all this.

See this page about detecting if your Linux machine is using UASP: https://superuser.com/questions/928741/ ... is-enabled

crocket

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Heater wrote:
I presume you mean not on a Pi. The Pi has no ECC memory. Not sure why you mention it here.
I have my desktop where everything is protected by ECC RAM and ZFS mirror. I want to protect any non-replaceable data with RAID1 and ECC RAM. Where to store non-replaceable data is an important consideration when figuring out usages for Pi. Long-term storage is not Pi's strength.
Heater wrote:
The Pi makes a very poor router. The network interfaces are too slow and there are too few of them.
I don't use Pi as a router. I will use Pi for functionalities that my router doesn't support. For example, OpenVPN and Wake on LAN via SSH command. Pi extends a router by connecting to it on WiFi or ethernet. Pi is also suitable for morning alarm.

I can wake up my desktop from Pi for anything that needs frequent writes, CPU power, or access to my important data.
Heater wrote:
JMS578 is a USB 3 device.

Really you are wasting your time with all this.

See this page about detecting if your Linux machine is using UASP: https://superuser.com/questions/928741/ ... is-enabled
Also, I decided that UASP is not strictly necessary because TRIM is not going to make a significant difference on the lifespan of a modern SSD unless SSD is nearly full.
A USB 3.0 device can work with USB 2.0 ports.
That said, I'll see how a microSD card lasts because I won't run any service that writes on Raspberry Pi.

Heater

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 pm

crocket,
I want to protect any non-replaceable data with RAID1 and ECC RAM.
Be aware that ZFS mirrors, RAID and ECC RAM are not to be relied on to protect valuable, non-replaceable, data. Whilst they may be desirable in building more reliable system they are not backup systems.

A failed computer or RAID controller can cause permanent loss of data. As can software failures that may delete/corrupt all your mirrors in one go.

Real backups are write once. They are distributed, preferably as far apart as possible. The more replicas the better. They are tested regularly to be sure recovery is possible.

RaTTuS

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:02 pm

^WHS
with spades...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

crocket

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Heater wrote:
Be aware that ZFS mirrors, RAID and ECC RAM are not to be relied on to protect valuable, non-replaceable, data. Whilst they may be desirable in building more reliable system they are not backup systems.

A failed computer or RAID controller can cause permanent loss of data. As can software failures that may delete/corrupt all your mirrors in one go.

Real backups are write once. They are distributed, preferably as far apart as possible. The more replicas the better. They are tested regularly to be sure recovery is possible.
I know. I will subscribe to a cloud backup service or two as soon as I become rich enough to afford it without feeling financial strain.

Ernst

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

crocket wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:40 pm
I have my desktop where everything is protected by ECC RAM and ZFS mirror. I want to protect any non-replaceable data with RAID1 and ECC RAM. Where to store non-replaceable data is an important consideration when figuring out usages for Pi. Long-term storage is not Pi's strength.
IMHO You still have understood what we have been trying to explain and you keep digging into things not relevant to a Raspberry Pi. I have asked a few direct questions about your backup plans and you did not answer.

There is no such thing as non-replaceable data, every piece of data must have redundant copies on backup so that it can be restored. How are you going to backup the valuable data that you want to place on a Raspberry Pi. Think before you answer, make sure that you have considered all the preconditions before bringing up ZFS snapshots (again).
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:24 pm

crocket wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 pm
Heater wrote:

I know. I will subscribe to a cloud backup service or two as soon as I become rich enough to afford it without feeling financial strain.

There are several free Cloud storage solutions, your issue gleaned from your past posts seems to be you want to be able in say 25 years time be able to access this "data". In my opinion ""back ups"" should be regular and relevant to today not to yesteryear.....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Andyroo

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:37 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:24 pm
There are several free Cloud storage solutions, your issue gleaned from your past posts seems to be you want to be able in say 25 years time be able to access this "data". In my opinion ""back ups"" should be regular and relevant to today not to yesteryear.....
Agree totally.
Backups and archive are two separate things (I used to work in a little data storage industry whose name was similar to 'tin hill' but they will remain innocent as they are very good IMO).

Backup is used for short term recovery where speed of restore and completeness of data are the two key requirements. Cloud solutions such as Amazon S3 fit this bill.
Archive data MAY NOT be 100% (but often is for laziness or posterior covering by IT) and recovery time is secondary to audibility and security (both physical and logical). Glacier from Amazon fits this bill.

No matter what the media you store on (and believe me I've handled most things inc paper tape) you hit many many problems:
1) Can you find the media? Human error / miss filed / lost in the post are real life issues
2) Is the media valid - humidity / temperature / courier forces all play a part (this is the actual material NOT the data)
3) Can you access the media? Do you still have a punch card reader that connects to your system and does anyone know how to use it?
4) Do you know the format of the data? Its OK having a series of '1' and '0' streaming off the media but if you do not know the format your stuffed
5) Is it encrypted and do you have the correct keys? Backups in third party locations should be encrypted but do not loose the keys (or store them in the same place)
6) Once you have the raw file - do you still have a program that can read it? Its fine having a 'database.xyz' file that used its own storage layout but unfortunately the manufacturer of the machine went bust 20 years ago

I'm beginning to call TROLL here - the questions are so far out of normal Pi use and show so little knowledge of real world issues.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

andrum99

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
You are wrong - UAS(P) doesn't need USB 3.x - it will run over USB 2.0. Unfortunately the dwc_otg driver which runs the Pi's USB controller doesn't support scatter gather, which is required by the Linux UAS driver. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to the speed or CPU utilisation on the Pi, although I guess on BCM2835-based boards it would free up a fair bit more CPU time for other jobs.

crocket

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Ernst wrote:
There is no such thing as non-replaceable data, every piece of data must have redundant copies on backup so that it can be restored. How are you going to backup the valuable data that you want to place on a Raspberry Pi. Think before you answer, make sure that you have considered all the preconditions before bringing up ZFS snapshots (again).
You seem to be prone to perfectionism. I used to be prone to it, too.

I decided to not place valuable data on Pi. Any valuable data will last longer with ECC RAM and ZFS mirror which I scrub regularly. Pi will simply wake up my desktop that has ECC RAM and ZFS mirror. Pi can still do a lot without my valuable data.

I will take ZFS snapshots of Pi and send them to my desktop. Taking ZFS snapshots and sending them somewhere else can be automated. But, the recipe for reconstructing Pi from scratch will make those back-ups redundant. My desktop contains recipes for constructing every machine I own. A recipe contains configuration files and partition layout and is updated whenever a machine's configuration changes. A recipe is just a folder that contains README and configuration files.

The problem is backing up my desktop's valuable data. I need to send ZFS snapshots of my desktop somewhere else. Right now, I cannot afford a cloud backup service. When I can afford it, I will subscribe to it. I will either send ZFS snapshots there or use other means of back-up if sending ZFS snapshots is not possible.

My desktop is the last line of defense for now. I will pay for remote back-ups and remote archives in the future. I cannot give you precise answers regarding cloud backup services.

Heater

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 am

crocket,
My desktop is the last line of defense for now. I will pay for remote back-ups and remote archives in the future.
So from now until the "future" you have no backups of your valuable "non-replaceable" data.

If I were you I'd be worried. That is just the kind of situation Murphy likes to take advantage of. And poof, your data is gone in a blink.

For your sake I hope that:

a) Your data is not so valuable to you.

b) It's not actually "non-replaceable".

c) Murphy does not notice your precarious situation.

It might surprise you to know that people did manage to maintain backups before there were cloud storage services or even an internet. Hard drives are cheap.
Any valuable data will last longer with ECC RAM and ZFS mirror
No, it won't.

crocket

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:48 am

Heater wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 am
It might surprise you to know that people did manage to maintain backups before there were cloud storage services or even an internet. Hard drives are cheap.
Any valuable data will last longer with ECC RAM and ZFS mirror
No, it won't.
What I meant was that ECC RAM makes a machine more resilient toward bitrots and ZFS mirror makes it possible to fix intermittent bitrots that make it to a disk. Hardware failure is another story. Ideally, I want protection from both bitrots and hardware failures.

Do you recommend that I build a RAID1 backup server or just buy a multi-terabyte hard disk that I back up my data to through a USB to SATA converter?

crocket

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:58 am

andrum99 wrote:
You are wrong - UAS(P) doesn't need USB 3.x - it will run over USB 2.0. Unfortunately the dwc_otg driver which runs the Pi's USB controller doesn't support scatter gather, which is required by the Linux UAS driver. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to the speed or CPU utilisation on the Pi, although I guess on BCM2835-based boards it would free up a fair bit more CPU time for other jobs.
Are you saying that if someone added scatter gather support to a linux kernel module called dwc_otg, Raspberry Pi 3 B+ gets support for UASP?

Ernst

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:49 am

crocket wrote:
Ernst wrote:
Not perfectionism, in IT it is standard procedure to protect against loss of data.
crocket wrote:
I decided to not place valuable data on Pi. Any valuable data will last longer with ECC RAM and ZFS mirror which I scrub regularly. Pi will simply wake up my desktop that has ECC RAM and ZFS mirror. Pi can still do a lot without my valuable data.
What is the significance of this valuable piece of information ?
crocket wrote:
I will take ZFS snapshots of Pi and send them to my desktop. Taking ZFS snapshots and sending them somewhere else can be automated. But, the recipe for reconstructing Pi from scratch will make those back-ups redundant. My desktop contains recipes for constructing every machine I own. A recipe contains configuration files and partition layout and is updated whenever a machine's configuration changes. A recipe is just a folder that contains README and configuration files.
Please explain what operating system you will be running on the Raspberry Pi, how you are going to install ZFS on the Pi and how you are going to configure the system to use ZFS including how to reinstall/recover the Pi.
crocket wrote:
The problem is backing up my desktop's valuable data. I need to send ZFS snapshots of my desktop somewhere else. Right now, I cannot afford a cloud backup service. When I can afford it, I will subscribe to it. I will either send ZFS snapshots there or use other means of back-up if sending ZFS snapshots is not possible.

My desktop is the last line of defense for now. I will pay for remote back-ups and remote archives in the future. I cannot give you precise answers regarding cloud backup services.
Why are you telling us this in this forum ? This has very little to do with the Raspberry Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 am

Ernst wrote:
crocket wrote:
Ernst wrote:
Not perfectionism, in IT it is standard procedure to protect against loss of data.
crocket wrote:
crocket wrote:
Please explain what operating system you will be running on the Raspberry Pi, how you are going to install ZFS on the Pi and how you are going to configure the system to use ZFS including how to reinstall/recover the Pi.
crocket wrote:

Why are you telling us this in this forum ? This has very little to do with the Raspberry Pi.

Does the OP actually have a Raspberry Pi or CM ??
adieu

Ernst

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:00 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 am
Does the OP actually have a Raspberry Pi or CM ??
It would take me a bit of time to find the post where the op states that the RPi3 is still in transit from China.

The last paragraph in the following post is quite interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=235314&p=1439607#p1439629

crocket

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:22 am

Ernst wrote:
You wrote
Think before you answer, make sure that you have considered all the preconditions before bringing up ZFS snapshots (again).
I thought you wanted to know everything about my setup regardless of its relevance to Raspberry Pi.
Ernst wrote:
I'm not sure if you are trying to help me or criticize me for not figuring out everything in advance or learn from me. Raspberry Pi 3 B+ arrived home yesterday.
I opened the box. It is sitting on my desk. I'm going to install 64bit gentoo on it this evening.

I will follow https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_ ... it_Install and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi to install 64bit gentoo on Pi.
Since the userspace programs and kernel modules for ZFS are compiled by emerge package manager, I will build and install programs and kernel modules for ZFS after compiling and installing the kernel.

On my x86-64 gentoo desktop, I usually upgrade ZFS every month.

I will build kernel and every binary package for Pi in arm64 chroot on my desktop. Pi will fetch and install kernel and binary packages from my desktop.
Creating an arm64 chroot requires qemu and chroot.

Recovering Pi can be done in one of several ways.

1. Follow my configuration recipe to manually reconstruct Pi. I maintain and update configuration recipe for every computer I own.
2. Recover from the latest remote ZFS snapshot of Pi. My desktop will have a cron job that automatically pulls ZFS snapshots from Pi everyday.

Either way will work.

It is somewhat exhausting to explain every detail of my setup to you. You are going to need a community to get all your answers. If you want to know more about using gentoo on Raspberry Pi, come to gentoo forums. Gentoo users will guide you there. Some gentoo forum users use gentoo on Raspberry Pi.

Ernst

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:21 am

crocket wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:22 am
I'm not sure if you are trying to help me or criticize me for not figuring out everything in advance or learn from me. Raspberry Pi 3 B+ arrived home yesterday.
I opened the box. It is sitting on my desk. I'm going to install 64bit gentoo on it this evening.
Looking at all your posts you have set some very high goals and targets without having access and experience with the Raspberry Pi. Also you have been writing about a desktop and the Pi in such a way that it is difficult to separate for the casual reader. With this information more experienced users (with more knowledge of Gentoo / Gentoo 64-bit and ZFS on the RPI) are now able to give their opinion on your visionary project.

From my POV you are currently flying miles high, ready to take a free fall jump without a parachute.

I would suggest you install the current raspbian your Pi3 to get some experience, and to order another Pi3 with power supply to experiment with Gentoo 64-bit, before making plans for the future.

Heater

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:42 am

Let's just say it's been confusing. With all this talk of SD cards, SSD, TRIM commands, UASP, RAID, ZFS, mirrors, EEC RAM, RPi, PC, Gentoo....

With no apparent end goal. The only discernible theme being reliable storage of "non-replaceable" data. For decades apparently.

Whilst ignoring the fact that all the above does not achieve that goal.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 am

Heater wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:42 am
Let's just say it's been confusing. With all this talk of SD cards, SSD, TRIM commands, UASP, RAID, ZFS, mirrors, EEC RAM, RPi, PC, Gentoo....

With no apparent end goal. The only discernible theme being reliable storage of "non-replaceable" data. For decades apparently.

Whilst ignoring the fact that all the above does not achieve that goal.

Yes quite so at least we know it is the Gentoo Distro and has been moved to that section of forum where like minded Gentoo Users can help the OP ;)
adieu

crocket

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:15 am

andrum99 wrote:
Although we were distracted by my setup, this thread is not about gentoo or my general setup, but about UASP support for Raspberry Pi 3 B+.

I think UASP support for Raspberry Pi 3 B+ depends on a linux kernel module called dwc_otg.
dwc_otg runs the USB controller for Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
According to andrum99, if dwc_otg supports gather-scatter, Raspberry Pi 3 B+ may support UASP.
With UASP comes the support for TRIM which is nice to have but doesn't make a significant difference for SSD lifespan.

dwc_otg affects every linux distribution, not just gentoo.

I suggest moving this thread to Linux Kernel

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 am

OK, no, the Pi does not support UASP what ever that is. And is unlikely to do so in the future.

As for your other stuff, this is what I would recommend.

Install Rasbian on the PI, its the most robust of the OS's because its the one we develop the Pi on. Set it up as standard, don't worry about TRIM or any of the other stuff you have mentioend.

Buy a USB attached HD.

Use the Raspbery Pi for whatever purposes you need.

Back up regularly to the HD.

Put hard drive in safe place. regularly check your backups to ensure they are working and correct.

If data really important, also back up to cloud. Or another off site hard drive.

I don't beleive that any of the other stuff you have mentioned over a number of threads is important to your end goal.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Gentoo”