Gavinmc42

Kernel updating

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:23 am

I needed to update my 4.14.44 kernel to a newer one for testing as I am breaking it all the time while learning Gentoo64 ;)
Sakaki has a wiki with kernel releases ;)
https://github.com/sakaki-/bcmrpi3-kernel#installation

It was as simple as putting the tar on the boot partition and then running these instructions
pi64 ~ # tar -xJf bcmrpi3-kernel-4.14.54.20180717.tar.xz -C /
pi64 ~ # sync && reboot

More info here
https://github.com/sakaki-/bcmrpi3-kernel.

What this also means is networked Gentoo64 Pi's can be updated over local networks by just copying the file and unzipping it.
No Internet needed :D
It is also very quick and painless.

I have yet to figure out why there is a bcmrpi3-kernel-bis version as well.
Is it the version for KVM support?
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=188448&p=1332591&h ... M#p1332591
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

sakaki

Re: Kernel updating

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Gavinmc42,

while you can indeed update your kernel manually from the weekly-autobuild tarball as you describe, the default way to do it is to rely on the corresponding ebuilds. There are two of these, sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bin (for bcmrpi3-kernel) and sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin (for bcmrpi3-kernel-bis). As of the latest (1.2.2) release of the image, the latter is used. The ebuild basically downloads and installs the tarball for you, but, by default, only certain (tested by me) kernel versions are unmasked. To allow the most modern version to be used with the ebuild approach, simply create the file /etc/portage/package.unmask/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin and put in it:

Code: Select all

# always allow use of the most modern kernel tarball
=sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin-4.14*
Once this is done, genup should automatically update your kernel, if a new release is available (you'll have to remember to reboot yourself to start using it, of course).

The '-bis' version of the kernel binary package adds a number of user-requested tweaks to the standard upstream bcmrpi3_defconfig, by running this script during the build process (PRs to the script will be accepted for review). A diff between the resulting 'vanilla' config and the '-bis' config is maintained here. So, at the moment, KVM and ZSWAP are added.

A -bis kernel autobuild is automatically created concurrently with each 'vanilla' one, so even if you are sticking with your manual install method, you'll have a slightly more fully-featured kernel if you use the -bis variant.

hth, sakaki

Gavinmc42

Re: Kernel updating

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:24 am

Hi Sakaki,

I am having trouble with porthole/emerge etc, mainly I think because I changed the locale to AU.
Seems to only work with default locale GB?
Sometimes I click the wrong thing and face lots of time emerging, syncing etc, part of the learning Gentoo way.

Is there a way to set porthole/emerge to list only aarch64 ebuilds?
At the moment I have to manually check if one has been done.

ebuild is still on my list to learn, there are some libs still not available for Aarch64 as I found compiling BforArtists.
There is quite a lot of stuff that has not been made for Aarch64, till now Aarch64 was mainly Android.
Desktop Aarch64 is really only a few years old and until your Gentoo64 was not easy for non experts to use on Pi's.

At home until a few years ago internet was limited, lots of manual updating.
Linux dependencies were my biggest problem, I had to learn shell, AWK, SED to do things as simply as possible with no libs.
At work I am behind a firewall so internet access can be a pain for non Windows/non official PC's.

That is why I like the manual kernel update feature, please keep that option available.
I can mess up and then fix it much faster than any OS except for my baremetal kernels.
It is also the reason I do baremetal too, it only need a kernel.img that is only 2-4MB :D
This is made from a Laz/FPC tool that most times has no dependencies issues.

Kivy seems to be popular with some people, currently it is a pain on Raspbian due to them using older VC4 V3D drivers.
I suspect it will work much better in Gentoo64, but I have never used it.
Still it seems to be mostly Python, so it should be easy to port to Gentoo64.

I guess if I don't know what KVM is I don't need the .bis version ;)

Thanks again
Gavin
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Gentoo”