jlgreer1

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:31 am

After reading this thread and another from the General Discussion that it is linked to, I tried the new 64 bit version on my RPi 4 - 4 Gb.

When I try to boot, my older HP display does not display correctly. The is a shape across the middle that is roughly a wedge that is shifted. It is as if it is rotated sideways relative to the rest of the screen. Everything is there, it is just broken. I tried a factory reset on the monitor and did another fresh burn to the SD card. Same result.

I experiment a lot with my RPis. I have never had an issue with this monitor before. I went back to the beta version of Raspi 64 bit. Monitor still works.

Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor to try.
https://faroutscience.com

sakaki

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:36 pm

jlgreer1,

sorry to hear you are having trouble with this ><

If you have access to a PC you can try the following. Mount the first partition of the microSD card to which you have written the Gentoo image (it is formatted with the FAT filesystem, so you should be able to access it even on a Windows PC), and then edit the file config.txt (at the top level of this filesystem), uncommenting the following line, so it reads:

Code: Select all

hdmi_safe=1
Leave the rest of the file as-is, save, eject the microSD card and try booting again. Hopefully you will now get a successful boot with a basic, low-res display.

Once running, you can then use the RPi Config Tool (Applications -> Settings -> RPi Config Tool) to choose a more appropriate resolution.

Not sure why the automatic detection is not working in this case (as it does work for the vast majority of monitors, out of the box), but does work OK in PiOS64. If you could dump the EDID data from PiOS, that might help to narrow things down.

Best, sakaki

jlgreer1

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:29 pm

Very good suggestion, Sakaki

I will give that a try.

Thank you!

jlgreer1

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:53 am

Editing the config.txt did the trick. I had to edit the file from an auxilliary drive on the RPi. Win 10 would not let me open the file system.

Ubuntu installed and ran fine. It still doesn't care for my monitor. No settings were available to make it as clear as RPi OS.

It was worth a try. I just prefer Debian/Raspi OS

Thank you for your help, Jeff

Gazzy

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:32 am

Hi Sakaki,
Hope you’re getting on ok with all the
work from home and restrictions.

I just ran a genup, and it came back with

Emtee error caught signal.

It was also saying a lot about dependency
Required for kodi 19 alpha. and Libcdio 2.1

Thought maybe you would like to know.

I will try it again, in case there was a network
error or something. The whole thing was taking
a lot longer than usual.

Hope you’re are doing well.

Update
It finally kicked in to 160 updates from @world
Big update week.
Thanks.

Update 2
The genup finally failed with an error, after trying to
compile. Libsdl2-2.0.12-r2

It did about 143 updates, but then hit that compile twice
And finally failed. I think it said it had like 18 updates to go

Maybe you know what’s up.

Thanks
gazzy

sakaki

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi Gazzy -

tbth, things have been a bit crazy at work recently - we have a skeleton staff returned to our (physical) office (which includes me!) and a huge backlog of stuff to get through (remote working having proven not quite so friction-free as hoped). So apologies, I haven't had the same bandwidth for genpi64 recently >< Hopefully normal service can be resumed shortly...

However, I've just pushed a new set of updates that'll hopefully work for you (including binhost packages). To get it, just run genup as usual.

There are a few held packages: kodi-19 (due to libcdio's required slot, clashing with that stipulated by mpv & friends); python:3.7.9 (need to create a pgo ebuild for this) and as usual rpi3-64bit-firmware (held back by the bcm2711-kernel-bis-bin, via the with-matching-boot-fw USE flag). I'll have a look at these over the next week or so. In the meantime, please let me know if you experience any issues with the update.

hope all is well with you,

best,

sakaki

Gazzy

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:12 am

Hey Sakaki,

You fixed it! The genup run went through today without a hitch. It updated the 18 left over updates with emtee. After a few more clean ups it all finished correctly. It’s good to know it won’t give anyone else any problems.

Things have been fine here, we have been in lockdown for a few months, only allowed out for an hour for exercise and to do grocery shopping. No sit downs in restaurants, but we still have take away. The country is running on online shopping, which has high backlogs in delivery.

The coffee is still great, but no avocado on toast at a cafe. We are shifting to 2 hours exercise tomorrow so that should be a bit better. New case numbers per day are in double digits, but the government is very strict about getting to zero cases a day.

Hope your team can get all caught up, and enjoy some free time.

Thanks for all your help.
All the Best,

Gazzy

Gavinmc42

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:57 am

Thanks Sakaki, been having genup issues, sounds like this might fix them.

Some new Kernel and Mesa stuff got added recently.
The next release should be lots of fun.
Take your time, we are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Now that the PC is back at work my Pi4 is now back into action as my home desktop.

I know working from home was fun for a while but not very productive in the long run.
Second week back at work in Qld, have not bothered to unpack, our dictator could do anything.

Gazzy, sounds like you are in the world leading Agenda2030 city of Melbourne.
Nice to see Melbourne made that list of 33 cities.
Everyone is enjoying the "new normal" show you guys are putting on.
I guess buying avo's from the Queen Vic market is now banned too?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

fatjoez

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 am

Hello Sakaki thanks for your great build installed on my raspberry pi 4

I have a problem a .SH software (papercut NG server) I want to install via terminal thinks the OS is 32bit.
https://www.papercut.com/products/ng/download/

Can you tell me why the software installer thinks the computer OS is 32bit????

Return to “Gentoo”