geev03

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:53 am

Gazzy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 am

I want to copy my sd card install of gentoo
To my hard drive but gentoo doesn’t have
Sd card copier installed.

There is a 'usbimager' showing up (on GUI). Don't know if that can do the job. I had a fresh install and even the old one yielded to USB boot after unzipping of 'usb-msd-boot-firmware.zip' into /boot
On the remote terminal I am using now the following is what I get

Code: Select all

demouser@pi64 / $ usbimager
Unable to open display

Gazzy

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:33 am

Hey

Thanks for everyone’s advice
I got USB boot to work
bymaking a rpi os usb, then booting
off usb, I was able to clone my gentoo
Sd card. And update the boot files.

All is working now off my hard drive.

Thanks again.

Gaz

sakaki

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:47 pm

cjan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:41 am
does this chromium build with 'use_vaapi=true' like Arch did?
No, but I've just added a USE flag to trigger this; when set, chromium still appears to build OK.

But then presumably you need a backend libva -> v4l2m2m shim to actually make it work? Could you please point me to a link showing what Arch have used there? Something like https://github.com/bootlin/libva-v4l2-request maybe?

Many thanks
sakaki

cjan

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:00 am

Arch user talking in this sub-forum, i try figure it how to work on Pis.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=244031

sakaki

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Hello,

if you are using the gentoo-on-rpi-64bit image, I recommend (*) you now switch over to using python:3.7 as your default interpreter, rather than python:3.6 (unless you have a strong reason to stay on 3.6, or use a different slot altogether).

Fortunately, both the v1.5.4 and v1.6.0 images already ship with a (pgo enabled) python:3.7 bundled, so switching only takes a moment. To do so, issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo eselect python set python3.7
And that's it!

best, sakaki

(*) See e.g. this post, ff.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:48 am

sakaki wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:47 pm
But then presumably you need a backend libva -> v4l2m2m shim to actually make it work? Could you please point me to a link showing what Arch have used there? Something like https://github.com/bootlin/libva-v4l2-request maybe?
The vaapi shim is being worked on as one alternative way of getting to the hevc v4l2_m2m driver. I don't believe that branch does hevc at present as the kernel controls aren't in mainline for it yet.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

bzt

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:44 pm

Hi,
geev03 wrote:
There is a 'usbimager' showing up (on GUI). Don't know if that can do the job.
I'm the developer of USBImager. Yes, it can do the job, it was specifically designed to do that :-)
geev03 wrote:
On the remote terminal I am using now the following is what I get

demouser@pi64 / $ usbimager
Unable to open display
This is perfectly normal and expected. No GUI application will work over a remote terminal unless you set up X11 forwarding.

Here's a good how-to in general (for Linux, MacOS and Win). Ubuntu specific description is here. For Windows, you should use PuTTY, which has an X11 forwarding option under the session preferences, and run Xming to receive and interpret X11 messages. I haven't tried, but in theory X11 forwarding works under Win10 WSL too.

And there's the minimalistic approach, if both computers are on the same LAN, RPi and the desktop can see each other directly and you don't need a port forward (assuming your desktop's is at 192.168.0.1, replace that with a proper IP address):

on desktop (to allow receiving a window):
$ xhost +
on RPi (to tell USBImager where to send the window):
$ DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0 usbimager
(note: the ":0" part is required, and it does not mean port, but selects your first Xorg instance. If you have more monitors, use ":0.0")

Cheers,
bzt

Gazzy

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:21 am

Hey sakaki,

So I did this weekends updates, quite big again
109 updates.

One of the updates in the middle went very red
For a page, but I didn’t quite catch what it was.
The genup continued anyway, so if it’s an issue
I guess it will try again next time.

Everything was very smooth. Using a ssd now, but don’t find the function to be much different to a sd card.

Thanks for all your work
managing this project.

Gaz

Gavinmc42

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:00 am

Sakaki, porthole seems to have disappeared, I generally use it to find out were software and libs are hiding before doing CLI emerge.

Still having audio issue when using HDMI to a DVI monitor and audio out the analog jack to amplified speakers. No sounds.
HDMI sound is fine on a TV.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

geev03

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:38 am

Gazzy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:21 am
So I did this weekends updates, quite big again
109 updates.

Everything was very smooth. Using a ssd now, but don’t find the function to be much different to a sd card.

For me, the (updates) number is 126 ....

>>> Installing (126 of 126) dev-python/sphinx-3.1.1::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 126 of 126 complete                       Load avg: 2.58, 2.45, 2.40

* Phase completed in 3152s
* Run completed in 3989s = 837s (emptytree) + 0s (filter) + 3152s (emerge)
* All done!
* emtee run completed successfully!

Gavinmc42

Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:03 am

Got Vulkan 64bit working on Raspberry Pi OS ;)
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=277125&p=1690769#p1690769
Will try it in Gentoo64.

Got a suspicion about the audio from testing on Raspberry Pi OS.
When HDMI monitor is plugged in, three channels are set in amixer - HDMI1, HDMI2, Headphones, these show as ch 0, 1, 2
When HDMI ports plugged into DVI only monitors, headphone shows in amixer as ch 0.
I suspect analog ch 0 is mapped to HMDI1 ch 0?
Never debugged Linux audio before, so just guessing.
Will test with HDMI TV plugged in and see if analog audio works?

Some apps have no trouble with audio, some do.
Warzone2100 ver 3.2 is fine, version 3.4 which now has HRTF support has no sound on analog but does on HDMI
SonicPi in Raspberry Pi 64bit OS has no sound.

Not sure what happened to audio from 4.19 to 5.4 kernel.
A change to autodetect?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:09 am

Sound is working on analog with DVI outputs.
Might have been fixed with the genup I did yesterday?
There is now a drop down selection option in the volume mixer, selecting the analog headphone works.
Autodetect is not working?

Probably just me getting used to the 4.19 to 5.4 changes :oops:

Now have to update all my old Gentoo64 versions.

Sound not working as well in Raspberry Pi OS 64bit beta.
Got Chromium issues too.
Looks like i'm back to Gentoo64 :D

Gentoo64 is working better.
Thanks Sakaki.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:38 pm

marthaneilson wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:46 pm
I tried the latest version with the new Pi4 4gb phone and I'm having trouble connecting to Wi-Fi. I was allowed to connect to a WiFi LAN, but not to a website. I tried to ping another device on the LAN and it didn't work. I changed the location from the UK to the US to the RPI setting, but it didn't help.
Hi -

by "Pi4 4gb phone" do you mean you are trying get network connectivity via your phone which is set up as a WiFi hotspot?

In any event, if you run the following in a terminal and then try to connect to WiFi (by choosing the network from the drop-down menu shown when you click the network icon in the top panel), what output do you get?

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo tail --follow /var/log/messages | grep --line-buffered NetworkManager
Also, once connected, what is printed if you issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ ifconfig
best, sakaki

grim1964

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 pm

I really like this distribution, but have one significant difficulty.

In the file manager (Thunar) I am unable to browse my Windows network to access my NAS device. On all the other distributions I have tried recently the ability to browse SMB/CIFS shares is available as-installed. When I select "Browse Network" nothing appears. I know that I can mount the shared drives manually (which does work) and add them to etc/fstab, but nothing beats the convenience of being able to browse for them. I have tried installing PCmanFM as an alternative file manager, but that cannot browse the Windows network either.

How can I remedy this?

sakaki

Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:58 pm

Hi grim1964,

I'm having a look at this now; hopefully will be able to post a fuller response later in the week.

best, sakaki

Gazzy

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:42 am

Hey sakaki,

When I do updates (genup)
It keeps telling me that Thundar
Is not being updated and held back
As it’s dependency are not met.

I’m just wondering if we are waiting
On a dependency update from upstream
Or there is a bug in the updates?

I’m still updating my old installs from
A long time ago, and have not rebuilt
The card from latest images.

I could try manually emerging what’s being held
Back, or the dependency’s.

Just not sure if you knew about whats not updating.

Thanks for your advice

Gaz.

sakaki

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi Gazzy -

basically thunar (and others) are held back because of these deps in xfce4-notes-plugin. Think I'll just drop this plugin for now, which will allow these upgrades (and removal of the last gtk2 USE, with migration to gtk3 in the remaining components not already using it). Will test locally over the next week or so then post here when released.

grim1964 -

I think network browsing should work OK once thunar is updated (I have made a number of other changes to samba etc as well). Will update on all this again once the above change has been pushed.

best, sakaki

Gazzy

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:00 am

Hey sakaki,

Got the new thundar set of updates. Everything
Went smoothly and looks good.

Now genup claims that python is being held back. I know we have a few versions in the build and available. Not sure why it would be held back, but I did read your posts about people having problems with differing versions of python when trying to compile.

Thanks for all your help

Gaz

sakaki

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi Gazzy -

I've just pushed another set of updates. FYI, I build a custom pgo-enabled versions of python which is why this some of the slots are (slightly) held back. I'll update these shortly.

grim1964 -

so, I've had a look at the network browsing issue, and it seems to be down to the fact that the SMB1 protocol is no longer used by modern versions of gvfs/samba (and indeed is now deprecated / disabled if not used on Windows 10); see e.g. this bug report:
Samba 4.8 changed default 'client max protocol' from NT1 to SMB3, together with fixes of Badlock, it broke browsing smb:// with default settings, because only NT1 (SMB1) protocol can browse network. Samba 4.10 made it possible to set min/max protocol version via libsmbclient API.
The same thing happens under the nautilus file browser too (I've built this and pushed it to the binhost incidentally, use "sudo emerge nautilus" to get it); see e.g. this bug report.

Assuming you have samba running, per this bug report you can force the use of SMB1 by putting:

client max protocol = NT1
in the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf, and restarting samba. Bear in mind this will use SMB1 for data transfer too, which is less secure than the more modern version of the protocol. (And, if using Windows 10 you'd still need to make sure SMB1 was enabled there; not recommended). It may be sufficient though if your goal is just to e.g. see local NAS boxes.

Incidentally, the default lack of SMB1 on Win10 means that samba shares from your RPi will also not be discoverable on PCs running this OS either (although you will be able to connect to them), unless another protocol advertises them. For this purpose, I've now included christgau's net-misc/wsdd (web service discovery daemon).

Incidentally, for those interested brief instructions for enabling samba file sharing from your RPi to Windows machines on the are available project's open wiki, here (includes the use of the wsdd daemon, and the thunar-shares-plugin, which allows you to select folders to share directly from the file browser as a regular user (rather than having to list them in smb.conf each time)).

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's yet a connection between wsdd (even though it does support discovery mode and has a programmatic API) and either thunar or nautilus. Samba does not yet support wsd either I believe (bug #11473).

hth,

sakaki

Return to “Gentoo”