sakaki

Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Hello,

if you would like to try running Gentoo in 64-bit mode on your Raspberry Pi 3, you might like to have a look at the updated bootable image I've just released, on GitHub, here.

You can burn the image (~821MiB compressed) to a microSD card (>=8GB), then boot your RPi3 from it directly (the root partition will be automatically resized to fill the card on first boot). Full instructions for download and use are provided on the project's GitHub page.

The image contains a complete (OpenRC-based) Gentoo system (including a full Portage tree, up-to-date as of 9 July 2017) - so you can run emerge operations immediately - and has a reasonably populated userland (Xfce v4.12, LibreOffice v5.3.4.2, Firefox v53.0.3, Thunderbird v52.2.0, VLC v2.2.6, GIMP v2.9.4 etc.) so that you can get productive without having to compile anything first (unless you want to, of course ^-^). Just download, xzcat to a microSD card, and boot!

WiFi and Bluetooth both work, as does sound (via onboard headphone jack, and over HDMI). VC4 acceleration is supported via the mixed-mode vc4-fkms-v3d device-tree overlay / kernel module / Mesa driver, and performance seems reasonable (glxgears 400-1200fps, real-time video playback). The kernel on the image is 4.10.17-v8 from raspberrypi/linux, in pure bcmrpi3_defconfig form.

As of version 1.1.0 of the image, a weekly-autobuild binhost, custom Gentoo profile, and binary kernel package have been provided, making it relatively painless to keep your system up-to-date. Here's a screenshot:

There's also a (sticky) thread about this image on the Gentoo forums, here.

Have fun ^-^

sakaki

PS this is an updated version of the image that RoyLongbottom used for his 64-bit benchmarks (see this post). For those with significant amounts of work invested in the 1.0.2 image, manual upgrade instructions are also available, here.

Olle2

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 am

Thanks! Great work. And now I have to read Gentoo documents... some at least ;) I posted in
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 128#961128 as well.
Still having fun!
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.”

sakaki

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Olle2 wrote: Thanks! Great work.
Thanks ^-^

Pi-Top Variant Bootable 64-Bit Gentoo Image Released

If you have a Pi-Top (an RPi3-based DIY laptop), I've just released a variant of the gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit bootable image for this. Here's a pic of it in use:

The variant has all the features of the standard image (described above), but also, courtesy of rricharz's work, contains: There's a 64-bit version of Gordon Henderson's handy wiringpi library (and gpio utility) included on the image too (my ebuild for this may be found here), as the above drivers need it to operate.

Full details of how to download and use the variant image (and the vanilla RPi3 version too, of course) are available on the project's page on GitHub, here. As with the standard version, it boots to an Xfce4 desktop; there's nothing to configure or compile if you just want to play around with it.

Have fun ^-^

sakaki

procount

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:04 am

Both of these 64-bit versions of Gentoo (for the RPi3 and for the PiTop) are now easily installed via PINN.
Thanks to sakaki for helping accomplish this.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Gentoo”