sakaki

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am

ozbird wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:26 am
With the latest bunch of updates, it looks like some/all packages are limited to MAKEOPTS="-j1 -l1"?
Update: I interrupted the "genup" process and started it again; it now appears to be using all cores. :)
What has probably happened is that something in the (parallel) @world emerge step of your original genup run failed; in this case (after building out everything else it can), genup falls back to a serialized emerge for the remaining jobs (since quite often, failing parallel builds will work OK if tried in a -j1 fashion). Here are the relevant lines from genup:

Code: Select all

if ! ${PUMP} ${EMERGE} ${ASKFLAG} ${ALERTFLAG} ${VERBOSITYFLAG} ${EMERGEARGS} --deep \
        --with-bdeps=y --changed-use --update --backtrack=50 @world; then
        # per make manpage, if multiple "j" opts are specified, the last
        # one takes precedence, so this is legitimate
        if MAKEOPTS="${MAKEOPTS-} -j1" FEATURES="${NOPUMP}" ${EMERGE} --resume; then
            warning "emerge completed successfully, but only by restricting"
            warning "build parallelism and distcc"
        else
            # we still have a problem, allow the user to attempt to fix if
            # running interactively
            if ((ARG_ASK==1)); then
                warning "emerge did not complete successfully"
                show "You can try to fix the problem in another console, then return here"
                show "and resume the emerge"
                continue_yn "Attempt to resume the emerge now"
                MAKEOPTS="${MAKEOPTS-} -j1" ${EMERGE} --resume
            else
                die "Failed to complete the emerge due to error"
            fi
        fi
    fi
When you restarted genup, it will have reverted back to the parallel strategy again for any remaining jobs.

The underlying cause of the original failed build is probably that I've just pushed quite a significant set of deltas (xorg-server bumped to v1.20.7, firefox bumped to v74.0-r1, Xfce4 bumped to v14+ etc), and the tree may not have been completely consistent for the last few days, while this was being worked through (quite a lot of changes to masks etc.). Sorry about that ><

Hence I think you ran genup, perhaps got a not-completely-consistent ebuild tree, genup's @world emerge failed during the (parallel) build of that tree and so fell back (per above) to serialized make.

When you then stopped and restarted genup, it will have re-synced the overlays (pulling in the consistent version) and restarted the parallel build again (which this time, hopefully went though fine, using mostly packages from the binhost also).

hth,

sakaki

geev03

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:12 pm

The problem I have had with 'remmina' is solved! As usual, thanks a lot to the most helpful Sakaki to give the directions to achieve that.
With far better screen resolution in Gentoo, I am going to use Gentoo more and more ...
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-04-04_20-59-54.jpg
Screenshot_2020-04-04_20-59-54.jpg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 2026 times

ozbird

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:46 pm

I had a couple of blocking packages:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "sys-devel/gettext" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-devel/gettext-0.21_rc1::gentoo (masked by: missing keyword)
- sys-devel/gettext-0.20.1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/local/portage/genpi64/profiles/targets/genpi64/package.mask/gettext:
# problems building

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-auth/polkit-0.110" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-auth/polkit-0.116-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/local/portage/genpi64/profiles/targets/genpi64/package.mask/polkit:
# auth issues

I removed the mask files for both, and they built fine; I'm not sure how to test the polkit "auth issues".
(Your mileage may vary.)

sakaki

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:56 pm

ozbird,

thanks for the heads up, I've removed the profile masks on gettext-0.20.1 (agreed, it seems to build OK now with a more modern toolchain) and on >polkit-0.115-r4 (0.116-r1 seems not to have the same boot issues).

Best, sakaki

Quiquoqua48

Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:43 am

Hi! I would like to receive help for installation, but i don't know where to post my problem (i've extracted files on SD but the rpi doesn't boot, nothing happens). Where can i find some help? Thanks!

idpitt

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:23 pm

I'm not sure if it's something I've done but of late, Chromium dies on a regular basis ( Window closes without warning ) , no video can be played within Chromium and Firefox is ridiculously slow. The Pi4/Gentoo/USB3 connected NVMe used to be good for casual surfing but it's becoming too frustrating. If no one else is experiencing this, I guess I borked something along the way and will do a rebuild. It's getting to the point where I'm getting ready to rip out the Pi and use a docked Chromebook instead.

Thanks,
Ian

Quiquoqua48

Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm

About my problem, i used pinn and now it works :D

sakaki

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:40 am

idpitt wrote:
I'm not sure if it's something I've done but of late, Chromium dies on a regular basis ( Window closes without warning ) , no video can be played within Chromium and Firefox is ridiculously slow. The Pi4/Gentoo/USB3 connected NVMe used to be good for casual surfing but it's becoming too frustrating. If no one else is experiencing this, I guess I borked something along the way and will do a rebuild. It's getting to the point where I'm getting ready to rip out the Pi and use a docked Chromebook instead.

Thanks,
Ian
Not something I have experienced here or have been messaged about. Probably worth quickly trying a spare microSD card with a fresh image, as a sanity check. The fact that Chromium won't play video does suggest something is (idiosyncratically) damaged on your system, since that'd be sure to trigger a flood of bug reports.

best, sakaki

idpitt

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:01 pm

sakaki wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:40 am
idpitt wrote:

Thanks,
Ian
Not something I have experienced here or have been messaged about. Probably worth quickly trying a spare microSD card with a fresh image, as a sanity check. The fact that Chromium won't play video does suggest something is (idiosyncratically) damaged on your system, since that'd be sure to trigger a flood of bug reports.

best, sakaki
I'll try this weekend when I have more time. It's not all videos so may be site/pi-hole related. For example, Youtube videos are fine. Facebook and some news sites show a frame then declared that the video cannot be played. The random crashes don't appear to have an initiator other than the device is short on memory though swap usage shows zero. I'll poke around a bit longer and if there's nothing obvious, do a rebuild.

maxmars

Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Hello there,

I need to take the time and wholeheartedly thank Sakaki for her work on Gentoo for Raspberry 4.

Living in one of the Italian regions most heavily hit by Covid I had to entrench at home in late february - early march and found myself plenty of time to devote to personal projects.

Until then I hadn't invested a lot of time into the Pi 4 + Gentoo combo, it looked like a fun environment to hack but that was all.

Suddenly I found myself with time to spare and turned the little Pi into a faithful companion for my main computer, which I use for most of my software development activities.

While the Mac can indeed do anything and do it swiftly, I never thought this little box could be capable of handling a Javascript full stack staging environment (and let me do some development on the side) with such aplomb!

I installed a recent version of Node.js thanks to NVM, the latest Visual Studio Code using YARN, DB Browser for SQLite and let the Pi+Gentoo handle the rest.

With Thunar I can access my Mac file system, with VNC I can connect from the Apple to the Raspberry and viceversa, HP Device Manager lets me print on a small bw laser printer. Testing on a Linux machine gives me the benefit of catching OS-dependent configuration leftovers with what I have at home.

In summary, a personal project I had in slow burn mode now is proceeding at flank speed and I enjoy every single moment of staying at home and working on it, even if I couldn't get out for anything but the groceries for the past two months.

Gentoo was definitely an enabler for this process as I could feel myself at home with it more than with Raspbian (no offense meant, it's just personal preference, it brought back memories of my early dabbling in Linux with Slackware), so thank you, thank you Sakaki for bringing this to me and us all!

Obligatory desktop shot :)
Schermata 2020-04-21 alle 00.29.49.png
Schermata 2020-04-21 alle 00.29.49.png (254.66 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

sakaki

Fri May 01, 2020 12:34 am

All,

I've just pushed a fairly major set of package updates to the binhost, and corresponding changes have been released into the custom profile and (gated) Portage tree.

Your machine should pick all this up on its normal weekly genup cycle. Please be aware of one possible issue: following upstream, this update will transition you from consolekit to elogind. As a result, once the update completes, you'll need to power-cycle your system to get full session functionality working again.

If you want to pre-empt the weekly update, to flush this change out sooner, then simply run (as root, or using sudo):

Code: Select all

pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo genpi64
pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo sakaki-tools
pi64 ~ # emerge -v1u app-portage/genup
pi64 ~ # /etc/cron.weekly/fixup
pi64 ~ # nice -n 19 genup
and reboot once done (you get the prompt "All done! Your system is now up-to-date."). The update will take a while (for most users, it will involve a full --emptytree emerge, albeit using binary packages for almost all atoms), so best to leave it running overnight if possible.

Apologies for the inconvenience ><

sakaki

Gazzy

Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 am

Hey,

So I did the update,
Everything was smooth.
It updated 300 to 400 packages.

Things all seem to be working and
Intact.

Gaz

Gavinmc42

Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 am

Took a few overnights to update everything, there was lots to update, but working fine so far.
Mesa 3D is the main thing I use, 20.0.4 on this release.
20.0.5 has a v3d bug fix, but it does not look a big issue.

Thanks again Sakaki, stay well.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

popetto

Wed May 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi all,
a stupid question here.
I know that it is not adviced but is it possible to install Gentoo alongside Raspbian (on the same sd)? I have got a 128GB sd and, you know, it is very big for Raspbian only... :oops:

sakaki

Wed May 06, 2020 10:06 pm

popetto wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:56 pm
Hi all,
a stupid question here.
I know that it is not adviced but is it possible to install Gentoo alongside Raspbian (on the same sd)? I have got a 128GB sd and, you know, it is very big for Raspbian only... :oops:
Very much possible to do this, by using PINN. You can use this tool to install multiple images on the same microSD card, and each time you boot, you have the option to choose which of the installed OSes to start.

Steps in a little more detail, from procount, PINN's author (links added, my comments in green italics):
procount wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:07 pm
The preferred method would be to:
  1. flash pinn-lite.img.zip to your 128GB SD card using Balena Etcher on your PC. (or other tool such as usbimager)
  2. Put your SD card into the Rpi
  3. Connect your RPi to keyboard, monitor, mouse, and internet
  4. Power your RPi on which will boot into PINN. (it will let you connect to WiFi if needed)
  5. Now you can select whichever OSes you want to install from the list of supported OSes and install them to your SD card.
  6. Once installed, you can now use PINN to select an OS to boot into. (hold down Shift on boot to enter PINN)
Raspbian is of course available for installation via PINN, as is this Gentoo image (it is called "gentoo64" there), and many others.

A more detailed set of instructions for installing and using PINN may be found here.

Remember that as with any image, writing PINN to your microSD card (step 1 above) will destroy whatever you currently have on there, so be sure to backup the contents first if they are important to you (or, use a fresh card).

hth, sakaki

K9spud

Thu May 07, 2020 6:36 pm

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but does this 64-bit Gentoo avoid the screen tearing issue that we see in Raspbian on Raspberry Pi 4? If so, how was the issue solved (if you know)?

The screen tearing issue is the one thing I dislike about Raspbian and makes me want to give this Gentoo image a try, but downloading a 800MB+ image plus updates using my cell phone data plan is kind of pricey.

sakaki

Sun May 10, 2020 11:19 am

K9spud wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:36 pm
Forgive me if this has already been answered, but does this 64-bit Gentoo avoid the screen tearing issue that we see in Raspbian on Raspberry Pi 4? If so, how was the issue solved (if you know)?

The screen tearing issue is the one thing I dislike about Raspbian and makes me want to give this Gentoo image a try, but downloading a 800MB+ image plus updates using my cell phone data plan is kind of pricey.
Not sure - I haven't noticed anything particularly egregious in day-to-day use, but the image does rely on many of the same display components as (a 64-bit kernel) Raspbian typically does (fkms etc).

Do you have a particular example that definitely exhibits the tearing in Raspbian, so I can try it under Gentoo?

best, sakaki

sakaki

Sun May 10, 2020 11:25 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 am
Mesa 3D is the main thing I use, 20.0.4 on this release.
20.0.5 has a v3d bug fix, but it does not look a big issue.
Just pushed another batch of updates, not so huge this time - but mesa has bumped, to 20.0.6 ^-^

Your machine should pick these on its normal weekly genup cycle, or you can run "sudo genup" in a terminal now, if you want them immediately (best to leave running overnight)

best, sakaki

Gazzy

Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 am

Hey,

Just doing the few updates.

Just to mention, I find emtee
To be a bit slow, not really any faster
Than the previous method.
It’s screen feedback is also quite lax.

Just overall the new update method using
Emtee is slower, and no faster to run through
Than the old method.

Just wondering if anyone else found
The new update method to take a little
Longer than the old method?

I’m not fully aware if we are running more or better checks than before.

Thanks

Gaz

sakaki

Mon May 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi Gazzy,

yes, the new approach of using emtee as a first system-wide build step in genup is done primarily to be more conservative - very large system changes (such as that triggered by the recent upstream move from consolekit to elogind) were leading to deps not resolving successfully on some systems for a standard @world update emerge (although this should in principle have worked): this new stage makes sure that such significant updates can always complete (falling back to a full --emptytree emerge - albeit from binaries mostly - in the absolute worst case).

emtee should also be faster where there are only a few things changing on an update, but to reiterate, the primary reason for the change is safety, not speed.

Apologies for the slow update this time - once you are through it though, future deltas should apply with largely the same speed as before.

Best, sakaki

Gazzy

Wed May 13, 2020 4:10 am

Hey sakaki,

Thanks for explaining that it is trying to
do a bit more updating than before.

It is working well with no errors during the update, and the last two Sunday updates have been quite big.

I will monitor it to see if a typical small update is any faster.

But I had tried it , a second time, when the updates were zero. And I did notice it try’s a lot more things, and I noticed it seemed to take a little longer than the previous method.

If it has actually added more checking and download attempts, I will just ignore how long it takes, I will be happy if our update is more thorough than before.

Does it mean anything like we are now receiving more updates from upstream? Or faster?
Or is it just the change to this empty tree system and the elogind.

Thanks for all you help

Gaz

K9spud

Tue May 19, 2020 5:36 am

sakaki wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:19 am
Not sure - I haven't noticed anything particularly egregious in day-to-day use, but the image does rely on many of the same display components as (a 64-bit kernel) Raspbian typically does (fkms etc).

Do you have a particular example that definitely exhibits the tearing in Raspbian, so I can try it under Gentoo?
Open a bright window (like a white Chromium window) over a dark background. Click and drag the window quickly around on the screen, from left to right, back and forth. Watch the left and right edges of the window. Those edges should stay straight (looking up and down), but they do not in Raspbian. Instead, you get visual artifacts where say the top portion of the window is leading farther ahead in movement than the rest of the window down lower.

Moving a window around isn't serious, it's just not as pretty as it could be. The real problem comes when you're watching a video and you get tearing effects during playback. Video is not as easy to consistently reproduce the problem though, because not all videos have quick left<->right movements that cause the screen tearing to become clearly noticable.

Now I'm finding even Raspbian largely has no problem with tearing if I'm watching video full-screen using the "fbturbo" X.org driver instead of the "modesetting" driver that uses the "glamor" video acceleration library. It seems glamor performs worse than "fbturbo" for 2d. "gtkperf" consistently gives me a total time of around 5.29s under fbturbo vs >7s under modesetting.

eblieb

Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 pm

So running GENTOO on my RPI 4 4gb and it seems to running fine, except the 5ghz. It is connected to my AC router with a good signal strength but the link state is limited to 72.2 Mbps for some reason.

sakaki

Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm

eblieb wrote:
So running GENTOO on my RPI 4 4gb and it seems to running fine, except the 5ghz. It is connected to my AC router with a good signal strength but the link state is limited to 72.2 Mbps for some reason.
Do you get a different result on 5GHz under vanilla Raspbian? What about when using Raspbian under the official 64-bit kernel (arm_64bit=1 set in /boot/config.txt)?

thx, sakaki

eblieb

Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pm

sakaki wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm
eblieb wrote:
Do you get a different result on 5GHz under vanilla Raspbian? What about when using Raspbian under the official 64-bit kernel (arm_64bit=1 set in /boot/config.txt)?

thx, sakaki
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. I reinstalled raspbian and set it to use the 64 bit kernel. Getting link connects of 433.3 Mbps Tx and Rx (from my router's interface). I gave up at this time using anything but Raspbian, and even then I had to finally give up on trying to use the raspberry pi 4 as a dedicated Zoom client. It just never worked correctly in any web browser so I had to put a windows machine back in my livingroom.

Return to “Gentoo”