cesarramsan

Does not boot after update

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 am

Hello everyone,

After a reboot my RPI does not boot anymore. I have been doing a lot of heavy things(CCompiling, porting, installing and also did an upgrade) but non of this, except for the system upgrade should have touch anything that could be system sensitive.Have anyone experienced something similar with the latest upgrade?

Terminus

Re: Does not boot after update

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:29 am

I have the same problem.

Something is wrong with /boot/. I noticed that for me there are some files missing.

SirLagz

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:15 am

I had a similar issue after updating also.
Ended up getting the boot partition from the newest debian image and it's working again for me.
Edit - Should have mentioned that I just got the firmware files and not the kernel itself.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

joeka

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18 am

I had the same problem and did the same as SirLagz did but with the newest arch image.

Terminus

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 am

When I get home this afternoon I will try replacing everything but kernel.img from either an old backup or the debian image as you proposed.

Terminus

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Replacing /boot/ from an other image didn't work for me. Boot failed with a kernel panic afterwards.

I had to re-create the sd-card, did a full system upgrade and removed everything but /boot/, /lib/modules/ and /usr/src/ from the new sd-card.
Afterwards I copied everything except those folders from my old backup to the sd-card. After a full system upgrade everything seems to work fine now.

In the mean time kernel -27 went online, maybe that's the reason why it works now.

M0HIZ

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:35 pm

I have a similar problem, but it was probably caused by something else.

I deleted a partition because it was taking up some room that I wanted to free up. When I rebooted the RasPi, a message came up, saying "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)" It won't let me type anything, so I haven't a clue what to do!

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Will

Terminus

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 am

Which partition have you deleted?

Inventivepanzer

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I got exactly the same message, even the numbers, even though I have done nothing as complicated as deleting any partitions...

Terminus

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:03 am

I got that error too, but I didn't know what caused the error.

Anyway I managed to get my pi back up but it was quite a lot of work.

Before you start reading or doing the next steps: The way I fixed it is not the best way. I'm pretty sure that everyone who knows a bit more about linux would like to punch me for this but it worked for me and thats the only think that counts for me.

I can't promise that my way work for you. It's possible that I only had a lot of luck!

First of all I made a backup from my current sd card. A second sd card would be nice but is not necessary. But I highly recommend to perform a backup before continuing.

Next go on with downloading and writing the latest arch image from the download section. Boot your pi and perform a full system upgrade. Afterwards shut down your pi and mount the sd card on your computer. I choose a vm but that doensn't matter at all.

Navigate to /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ and copy the latest version of linux-headers-raspberrypi, linux-raspberrypi, raspberrypi-firmware to a safe place on your hard drive.

Now delete everything but /boot/, /lib/modules/ and /usr/src/ from the sd card.
Afterwards merge your previously made backup with the new sd card. Remember to not copy /boot/, /lib/modules/ and /usr/src/.
Now copy your copies of linux-headers-raspberrypi, linux-raspberrypi, raspberrypi-firmware to /root/, umount the sd card and boot your pi. Modules should fail to load as the module dependencies are from your old kernel.

Login as root and install the three packages in /root/ (pacman -U is the right switch). Install should fail as the files already exists in the file system. Install the packages either with the -f switch for pacman or delete the files pacman prints out.

After a reboot everything should be working again now.

bugloss

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:51 pm

I've got the same problem and have used two different sd cards with the same backup image written to them . Aftre update/upgrade the pi won't reboot.

I've noticed that there are only three files cmdline.txt, config.txt and issue.txt on the upgraded card.
start_x.elf is listed but only half built.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I tried it with a fresh out the box pi too.

Adam
http://www.adamwilson.co

Return to “Arch”